The 2003 Toyota Sienna: If you can, you gotta

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Dorr

Reaction score
I bought this thing last week, and I have yet to spend the money to get it hubcaps and beautify it in preparation for an urban boondock, but meanwhile, it looks like an SUV to me. The thing is lifted higher than my neighbor's 4X4 for one, which is not true of the later models. Ever noticed that? 

This one's got 175,000 miles on the odometer, and though I've only owned Toyotas since 2005, this is the lowest mileage vehicle of theirs I've owned. It starts like it's pissed off that you didn't try six hours ago, it's solid, it's quiet -- this is a hell of a vehicle. I watched a review on YT, one mechanic speaking to another. "Well, Bob, what should we tell people to watch for in this 2003 Toyota Sienna?" "Actually, David, there haven't been any consistent complaints, but do change the oil, as the engines tend to sludge up if you don't..."

For not quite two grand. I am psyched. 

I hereby formally recommend the 2003 Toyota Sienna.

Congrats,  I've got a 2000 sienna with approx 290k miles.  Original owner,  keep the oil changed and the occasional timing belt.  The original valve covers are real bad about leaking oil.  Changed mine at about 150k and still have a clean engine.  Great for traveling cause of good gas mileage.  Living in  one full time is for someone that is more of a minimalist than I am.  Good travels.

My Toyota was the best car I’ve ever owned, other than routine maintenance I never put one penny into it. I finally got sick of it and sold it. I’ve had two Hondas since and put way more money into them than my Toyota.

Congratulations on getting your new van, which you already sound really happy with.

It should be excellent for your purpose as they can become quite anonymous, especially in urban areas.

Toyota is very well respected for reliability and particularly in a Travel Cabin, reliability is everything!