How are the 1st-generation Toyota Siennas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've been focusing on minivans from the mid-2000s to suit my limited budget (about $5000 tops, preferably paid in cash) but the 2nd-generation Toyota Siennas don't seem to appear much on local lots or in ads at a price I can afford. (Maybe the current owners aren't done driving them yet....) But I do see TONS of 1st-generation Siennas, both for sale and still ambling happily along the roadways after 15+ years. Actually, some of the ones I'm seeing for sale have surprisingly reasonable odometer readings for their age, which sweetens the deal further.

On the other hand, I know this generation is a bit short on interior cargo space, and that I'd have to physically remove both the 2nd and 3rd row seats to lay a camping cot down flat in there. And I imagine this generation lacks a lot of the helpful gadgets that were added to the model later.

Anyone here ever own one of these things? Is it a viable vehicle for vandwelling (or at least "van-sleeping")?

ganchan,

I came by this post just by chance since I rarely go down the car thread.  I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna that I purchased new.  I've got ~279k miles.  It has held up real well over the years.  I have made several small trips 2-3 weeks, but nothing longer as I was working.  I never organized mine very well so I did find it small for my needs.  There are other members here who do full time in them like NickTheoBennett, maybe they can chime in.  Great mpg,  I've serviced mine myself and it still runs strong.  Good luck on your search.