2013 Toyota Sienna AWD XLE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure_mahem

Reaction score
While my adventure is a lil ways off. Earlier this month I secured my vessel. A White 2013 Toyota Sienna AWD XLE. It came with 130,000 miles but it also had full service records and a clean bill of health. So while because of its age an mileage I do have some planned preventative maintenance scheduled before setting out. I have to say this is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever ridden in never mind owned. with the exception of a flip down DVD player I think it has every luxury option Toyota offers. My entire family got to go for a ride in the vehicle over the past weeks and they all love it and are quite impressed. Even those with newer vehicles. Many of them although they have heard me talk of what I plan to do, it's like they think I'm telling them a story. Guess Time will tell. This is my start at any rate. I will try to post up dates and pictures as I make headway. Really the biggest thing standing in my way at the moment is the cold weather. It's pretty cold here in Vermont and I dont have a heated space to work. So I'm going to make an effort to start doing some projects when its warm for here...that's in the 40's. But right now it's pretty cold and i aint Jack Frost!

So right now I have 2 options for my build. ME or ME+1. The +1 said they are all in with me. But, I'm still keeping ME ready to go. In fact, ME is ready to go now. I have a Ebike setup with a complete bike packing setup ready to go. So those items I have not listed but will be used.

I've put together a small code for items I've listed just to keep from typing a bunch of stuff out repeatedly
* - Items I already have
M - I have the materials to DIY & will complete B4 setting out
$ - Still need to Buy
O - Optional Item I may Buy but I dont necessarily need

ME
Black Out Insulated Window Shades - M
Cot with Mattress - *
4 32 qt Sterilite Totes - $
Propane/Butane Burner - $
48 qt Cooler - *
Water Storage - O
Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier for my ebike - $
Tie Downs - $

ME+1
Black Out Insulated Window Shades - M
Dimensional Lumber for a Full Bed Frame - $
Full Size Foam Firm Mattress - $
4 32 qt Sterilite Totes - $
Propane/Butane Burner - $
48 qt Cooler - *
Water Storage - O
Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier for my ebike - $
Tie Downs - $

Of course there are many extras to add later on. The biggest of my plans would be to add 2-3 Battleborn Batteries, a DC/DC Charger/Isolator/MPPT Controller, Solar Panels, Shore Power hook ups, Refrigerator/Freezer and a small Microwave.

But the items on my list would let me get under way and start my journey. My first Project will be Black Out Insulated Window Shades. I already have the materials for these I'm just waiting on the weather to warm up a bit. Which it is supposed to do this weekend. That will allow me to get my templates made and start the project inside. I found these Awesome Tutorials on Youtube and this is what I plan on making.

After that I will have to wait until April to do anything else. The expenses of buying my vehicle this month and getting my affairs in order for travel has left me broke. Well, maybe not exactly broke, but I dont have any discretionary project funds.

My Plans for April will be to purchase the dimensional lumber to build the bed frame, the mattress, encasement & a set of sheets, Sterilite Totes and the Propane/Butane Burner.

The current status of my vehicle. The Oil was just changed, Air Filters appear to be new, Belts and hoses look excellent, Battery looks to be recently updated no corrosion on the terminals, Tires have 10,000 of 50,000 miles on them, no foreseen issues.

Being at 130,000 miles I know there are a few things that need to be done soon in order to ensure I get many more miles out of my Toyota. The items listed are in addition to regular maintenance items like changing the Oil, rotating the tires, greasing chassis, inspecting belts, hoses & wear items and filling fluids. My intention is to do everything I have mentioned myself. I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have always worked on cars with my Dad growing up. The only thing I dont know if I can do is change the spark plugs. It is quite involved including taking the intake off the top of the motor to access them. Even then it is a small space and I have large hands.

ASAP (not literally but well before 150,000 as time allows)
Pump out and Bleed Fresh Brake Fluid into the system
Replace Power Steering Fluid
Flush Radiator and Replace Coolant

by 150,000 miles
Check Front 3 Spark Plugs (if necessary change after inspection)
Change Transmission Fluid & Filter
Service Transfer Case and Rear Differential

by 200,000
Change Spark Plugs (regardless of Inspection)
replace Tube Seals and Valve Cover Gaskets (since the motor is apart it makes sense to do this now at minimal cost)

A few emergency items I want to acquire. I'd like to get them sooner than later but not really in a hurry, hopefully!

CO/Smoke Detector(s)
2 ABC 2.5lb Fire Extinguishers (double as a self defense item)
Tow Strap with Shackles
Battery Jump Starter(instead of jumper cables)
Triangle Reflectors
Road Flares

Several components to complete a Trauma kit.

CAT Tourniquet
Chest Seals
Quikclot Gauze
Nasopharyngeal Airway

I already have a very adequate First Aid kit the Trauma kit is in addition to that. The Trauma kit is something I really started thinking about after I built the ebike and started traveling with traffic to the grocery stores in the nearby towns. While it will reside in the van to keep it out of the elements. I plan to have it on the ebike at all times when it is being used. I think anyone that operates or rides on an ebike, a scooter, a motorcycle or carries a firearm or has one in their household should have a Trauma kit and know how to use it.

There is one item I've really considered.
A Pistol - this is perfectly legal for me to own and have on my person where I live. The problem is Vermont does not issue CCW permits so its very hard for that to be reciprocated in states that do recognize other states CCW. Just plain forget about even transporting one through one of the neighboring states like NY or MA. You'd end up in jail for 5 years. So my thought has been to forgo it to prevent legal issues. I could go into great detail how I feel about this but I think that could be considered getting political. So I will just state I dont agree with it and move on.

We had some lovely weather here today. Low 50's with lots of sunshine. I got my templates done for all the windows except the windshield. I was able to use the templates to make the Coraplast panels cut and get them fitted.

Surprisingly I'm pretty sore even though it wasn't hard work at all. Just a bit time consuming and a bit tedious. Especially getting the template done on the rear side windows.

I used brown kraft paper I bought from Walmart to make my templates. If I were to do it again I think I would look for a roll of tracing paper. It was easier for me to start my pattern on the outside get the paper to the rough size and then do a final fit inside. Tracing on the exterior would of made the process go even more quickly.

So far I have about 5 hours in. Now I'm all set to start doing Reflectix. At least I can do that inside as the temperatures are forecasted to drop down again.

I don't plan on doing Coraplast for the windshield or the moonroof. In those areas my plan is to just cut and fit Reflectix. I may try covering the Moonroof Reflectix so it blends in when looked down from above. I figure the Reflectix in the windshield will be fine as is as many people use Sunscreens and it will just look like one of those. In fact I may get one with the Carz Eyes to attach to the front of it.

I, too, am prepping a used Sienna for my road trips. I also am building for ME but with options to expand to ME+1 for my S.O..
I've always taken a pistol or revolver on local trips, but with the possibility of country-wide trips I need to reconsider how to continue doing that.

So what I thought would be a task I would do in a few days...Well, I got bored today and after about 4 hours I'm almost completely done with cutting out and attaching Reflectix to both sides of my Coroplast cores with black duct tape. After doing the first couple they kind of went pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure I still have at least enough Reflectix left on my roll (4' x 25') to do the Windshield and I might be able to squeak out the Moonroof too. That part of the project will be waiting for a warmer day. Watching today's forecast that may be a while.

I will have some down time before I can complete the Insulated Window Blackout Panels completely. First, I still need to get my fabric to cover them and Not only do I have to order it online because my local Walmart, nor any in my area, carry it. But, I also dont get paid until Next week. Well, at least I have what I could do completed.

Hopefully I can find something else to do to keep me busy til then.

Just remember all that Reflectix on the windows will turn your minivan into a faraday cage if you are trying to use cell phones or wifi. Meaning it blocks the signals. You should have a couple of block out covers that don't have Reflectix on them if you want to be inside while on the internet. Otherwise you should plan on getting an external cell phone antenna.

We had some really nice weather today here, it got up in the 70's.

I didn't waste it. I got all of my Insulated Window Blackouts done except for the front window and the moon roof.

I'm thinking for the front windscreen and the moon roof I will use a simpler construction.

The Insulated Window Blackouts I made today are a layered composition consisting of a center core of Coroplast an inner & outer layer of Reflectix, an interior fabric that has a design and a black outer fabric.

I'm thinking I will just use a single layer of Reflectix for the front windscreen. I'm thinking a silver sunscreen would not look out of place anywhere.

I may use a double layer of Reflectix for the moonroof. I'm not sure yet if I will add a fabric layer to the moon roof or not.

I do see I have been focused on planning for the cold weather. After today's weather it's occured to me that I should add another project to my To Do List. Screening for the windows and maybe a door or two. I'm thinking I can do that with just some No See Um Netting and some magnets. Nothing complicated...for now anyways.

It does feel good knowing I have the brunt of one of my major projects out of the way. On to the Next!