Reporting In On My 2021 Toyota Sienna

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebarefootbadger

Reaction score
I purchased a 2021 Sienna in August. It's the first year the Sienna is a hybrid. The Sienna is a minivan, similar in size and shape to a Dodge Grand Caravan. For a number of reasons I haven't converted this to a full time camper yet, but I have played around with that for the summer. Here's my reporting so far:

The Good

I'm averaging 36 mpg. Even going long distances on the highway at 75 with the AC on it's still hovering around 32. (This according to its internal calculation, I haven't done it manually.)

It's about as big as you can get without being obtrusively huge. I park in a parking lot like anyone else, I can go through a drive through or car wash, put it in the carport and, with care, park it in a little old 1950's garage. It's super easy and comfortable to drive, like car and not a truck but with better view and seat height than the average car.

With the seats out it's got a ton of room inside, for a car.

The Not So Good

The fancy schmancy dashboard electronics are a royal pain. I still haven't properly figured out how to work the darn heat. Believe it? I can talk into thin air and the car practically drives itself, but I can't work the HVAC and the radio to my satisfaction. Welcome to the 2020's.

The car is basically a giant foam egg designed to haul children around. The second row seats do not stow and they are definitely not designed to be removed, although it was less of a hassle than I anticipated. The car was clearly 100% CAD designed. Not only are there no right angles, there are unwieldy pieces of plastic everywhere and it's not even symmetrical from side to side. The floor is this spongy weird utterly non-flat thing that basically requires a dedicated and built up wood floor on top of a lot of gadgetry that shouldn't be removed. This is really frustrating because as a tiny person, I was with difficulty able to stand almost upright in the stow well of a Dodge Caravan. This appears to be the same height from the outside but it's easily 8" shorter inside. Still fine for sitting up straight, but standing is an absolute no-go.

It makes me laugh sometimes, but it can seem like every single idea I have has been thwarted by the manufacturers. "Oh, I'll tilt the passenger seat forward and use that as a backrest for a seat I make." No, I won't, because the seat doesn't go further forward than 90 degrees. "Oh, I'll put a slipcover over this seat and add some pockets and so on." I will but it will look like crap because the shapes of the seat resembles something that got melted in a fire. "Oh, I'll build a box to put in the old seat well (the third row seats do stow)". I might, but the floor of that well isn't even vaguely flat, I'll lose half the volume of the space. "Oh, I'll put the bed all the way at the back". No, I won't, because the rear end of the car is aerodynamically pinched. "Oh, I'll put a Vantastic in the ceiling". Nope, all the HVAC for the rear runs through the roof.

The Well, Duh ...

When I bought this I didn't think too much about the fact that I didn't want to tear up a brand new vehicle, and I don't want to mess with my warranty or insurance. Making it into a real camper would be awesome but it would involve gutting more or less everything, as leaving all the unnecessary wiring, plastic fantastic and foam in place takes away at least 20% of the actual room inside.

The fact that the second row seats don't stow makes it a lot less useful as a general "hauler" - without them I can fit a full sized mattress and box spring, but with them in, it's actually way LESS usable floor space than my Prius. This also means it's a challenge to create an easily removeable setup, because I have to build a pretty complex floor to have a flat surface for any 'furniture' I create, and then remove that floor to put the seats back in.

Takeaway

In about six years I'm going to be really excited about tearing this thing to bits and doing a real build on it. I'll probably have mastered the electronics by then, haha, and the resale value / warranty won't be an issue any more. It does have the potential to be the ideal sized personal camper car, but it's not a useful "convertible".

Last edited:
(y) With big vans so hard to find and insanely overpriced, I like the idea of modding minivans and SUVs, as the used ones are more reasonable. In addition to gutting, you can cut the roof out and make a taller extension, like the hightops made for the old vans. Ground clearance is terrible on the minivans though... badly need a lift and bigger tires for offroading... or just start with an SUV.

I have the same problem with my 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. I don't think I could have picked a worse SUV for carlife if I had tried. I'm going to do a test run road trip in it and keep looking for a better vehicle to trade it in on.

My friend has Toyota Hilux for off-road. It defiantly not the best SUV for living in.

I did choose a minivan on purpose because I don't off-road and I wanted the headroom, which is why it's disappointing that by the time I customize so it's usable, the headroom is pretty well gone anyway. The Sienna is about $10K less expensive than the highlander, another reason I chose it, but I guess you do get what you pay for.

I did choose a minivan on purpose because I don't off-road and I wanted the headroom, which is why it's disappointing that by the time I customize so it's usable, the headroom is pretty well gone anyway.
Having owned my old (2008) Honda Odyssey for nearly two years now, I appreciate all of your comments. I don't want to strip all the finishes out of this thing, but I did have the third row seats permanently removed. And my cousin kindly built me a handy combo cargo area cover and extended platform for my narrow-twin sized mattress. The second row seats are removable/replaceable captain's chairs, so that's all good.

I have learned through owning this vehicle that minivan floors are, as you said, gnarly uneven messy surfaces. Depending on how my travels in the Odyssey work out, I may replace it with a newer/better vehicle. One option is a minivan-sized cargo van, i.e., Ford Transit Connect or RAM Promaster City. They're small and parkable, and you start with an empty cargo area with a nice flat floor. I never knew what an attractive idea that was, before dealing with my good old Odyssey. :ROFLMAO:

I purchased a 2021 Sienna in August. It's the first year the Sienna is a hybrid. The Sienna is a minivan, similar in size and shape to a Dodge Grand Caravan. For a number of reasons I haven't converted this to a full time camper yet, but I have played around with that for the summer. Here's my reporting so far:

The Good

I'm averaging 36 mpg. Even going long distances on the highway at 75 with the AC on it's still hovering around 32. (This according to its internal calculation, I haven't done it manually.)

It's about as big as you can get without being obtrusively huge. I park in a parking lot like anyone else, I can go through a drive through or car wash, put it in the carport and, with care, park it in a little old 1950's garage. It's super easy and comfortable to drive, like car and not a truck but with better view and seat height than the average car.

The Not So Good

The fancy schmancy dashboard electronics are a royal pain. I still haven't properly figured out how to work the darn heat. Believe it? I can talk into thin air and the car practically drives itself, but I can't work the HVAC and the radio to my satisfaction. Welcome to the 2020's.

The car is basically a giant foam egg designed to haul children around. The second row seats do not stow and they are definitely not designed to be removed, although it was less of a hassle than I anticipated. The car was clearly 100% CAD designed. Not only are there no right angles, there are unwieldy pieces of plastic everywhere and it's not even symmetrical from side to side. The floor is this spongy weird utterly non-flat thing that basically requires a dedicated and built up wood floor on top of a lot of gadgetry that shouldn't be removed. This is really frustrating because as a tiny person, I was with difficulty able to stand almost upright in the stow well of a Dodge Caravan. This appears to be the same height from the outside but it's easily 8" shorter inside. Still fine for sitting up straight, but standing is an absolute no-go.

It makes me laugh sometimes, but it can seem like every single idea I have has been thwarted by the manufacturers. "Oh, I'll tilt the passenger seat forward and use that as a backrest for a seat I make." No, I won't, because the seat doesn't go further forward than 90 degrees. "Oh, I'll put a slipcover over this seat and add some pockets and so on." I will but it will look like crap because the shapes of the seat resembles something that got melted in a fire. "Oh, I'll build a box to put in the old seat well (the third row seats do stow)". I might, but the floor of that well isn't even vaguely flat, I'll lose half the volume of the space. "Oh, I'll put the bed all the way at the back". No, I won't, because the rear end of the car is aerodynamically pinched. "Oh, I'll put a Vantastic in the ceiling". Nope, all the HVAC for the rear runs through the roof.

The Well, Duh ...

When I bought this I didn't think too much about the fact that I didn't want to tear up a brand new vehicle, and I don't want to mess with my warranty or insurance. Making it into a real camper would be awesome but it would involve gutting more or less everything, as leaving all the unnecessary wiring, plastic fantastic and foam in place takes away at least 20% of the actual room inside.

The fact that the second row seats don't stow makes it a lot less useful as a general "hauler" - without them I can fit a full sized mattress and box spring, but with them in, it's actually way LESS usable floor space than my Prius. This also means it's a challenge to create an easily removeable setup, because I have to build a pretty complex floor to have a flat surface for any 'furniture' I create, and then remove that floor to put the seats back in.

Takeaway

In about six years I'm going to be really excited about tearing this thing to bits and doing a real build on it. I'll probably have mastered the electronics by then, haha, and the resale value / warranty won't be an issue any more. It does have the potential to be the ideal sized personal camper car, but it's not a useful "convertible".
The middle seat situation is a PITA in the new Sienna, and removing the seat rails is a bear of a job. Could you cut (grind?) out some part(s) of a seat rail so as to remove the seat carriages- the dragon's teeth that stick up after you remove a seat? I'm envisioning sliding the seat all the way back (to a position I would probably never use the seat anyway) cutting out some of the seat rail there, and lifting out the seat carriage. One would have to use a T-bolt or removable bar to stop the seat going back that far in future, if one wanted to use the middle seat at some time. It's not something you'd do to your new Sienna (warranties and all), but hybrid Siennas will hit the used-car market soon enough. I think I'd like to get one when my Prius ages out (in the far, far distant future, I hope) and being able to remove the middle seats temporarily would make that a much easier decision.

The middle seat situation is a PITA in the new Sienna, and removing the seat rails is a bear of a job. Could you cut (grind?) out some part(s) of a seat rail so as to remove the seat carriages- the dragon's teeth that stick up after you remove a seat? I'm envisioning sliding the seat all the way back (to a position I would probably never use the seat anyway) cutting out some of the seat rail there, and lifting out the seat carriage. One would have to use a T-bolt or removable bar to stop the seat going back that far in future, if one wanted to use the middle seat at some time. It's not something you'd do to your new Sienna (warranties and all), but hybrid Siennas will hit the used-car market soon enough. I think I'd like to get one when my Prius ages out (in the far, far distant future, I hope) and being able to remove the middle seats temporarily would make that a much easier decision.
I am concerned that as the noose of personal privacy draws ever tighter, the dealership that services my car as part of the warranty is going to either declare the warranty void, or report my vehicular transgressions to my insurance company, which will then either jack my insurance through the ceiling or cancel it entirely. I'm pretty fed up at the moment with the blank-faced computerized world where nothing is anyone's fault, under anyone's control, or remotely up to the intelligent discernment of a real human being, on purpose, because some corporation makes its money by keeping customers and human employees as separate as possible. The other day the gas man came to my door to turn off my gas because the computer reported that I had died. I had a very difficult time convincing him this was not the case, and an even harder time convincing him that as I was clearly of sound mind and body and more importantly paid in full, his job here was done. Sigh.

Soapbox rant over. Translation: I'm not going to do anything anyone else will notice for a while.

I am concerned that as the noose of personal privacy draws ever tighter, the dealership that services my car as part of the warranty is going to either declare the warranty void, or report my vehicular transgressions to my insurance company, which will then either jack my insurance through the ceiling or cancel it entirely.
A manufacturer cannot legally deny a warranty unless you modified something that directly affects the part of the car that is being warrantied. For instance, removing the seats isn't going to hinder your ability to warranty any other part of the van. Also, dealerships have no reason to talk to your insurance company.

The Good

The Not So Good

The Well, Duh ...

Takeaway

Takeaway
Just wondering if you've asked a Toyota dealer service manager if they would be willing to remove the rear seats for you?

Here's what I did for someone with their Sienna. The table swivels out so you can eat outside the van if you want and the bed platform hinges up for storage. A 1/2" plywood floor evens out all of the undulations. And when they want to use it as a passenger van, it all comes out easily.

Attachments

• toyotasiennaminivan.JPG
    toyotasiennaminivan.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 22