Tethering with iPhone and Ubuntu

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unckybob

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to tether my laptop with Ubuntu linux on my iPhone?<br><br>Any good instructional website or instructions would be greatly appreciated.<br>

I tried with Mt iPhone, and a large red legal warning popped up. I don't know if they were seious or not, but I'd bet anything that they can remotely activate, de activate or down load your phone. I didn't go any farther.

By using a jailbreak program on the iPhone, I tethered for for several years. One month I downloaded a video through the tether, which clued AT&T in that I was tethering, because the video was too large for an iPhone. They sent me a polite letter sayin I could keep my current contract if I stopped tethering, or they would change my contract and eliminate my unlimited plan. I thanked them and told them I would stop tethering. Which I did.

Essentially , I'd you don't use their app but jailbreak the phone, they can't tell you're tethering unless you do something that triggers their suspicions - such as an large increase in usage, like I did.

Easier and faster is a portable hotspot like my sprint overdrive pro 4g. 50 bucks a month for 6 gb of usage - much more than I need, and it's the only wifi I have. Can tun 6 devices at one time if needed, and it establishes a local network between devices - even my printer for wireless printing.

With Linux, once the iPhone or hotspot is broadcasting, you just use the same program on Ubuntu as you would with any other wireless source.

Does that thing have a jack for an external antenna?<br>

That mobile hotspot sound like the answer to my problems. I'm in the Rockies so the best footprint seems to be with AT&amp;T. <br><br>Is there anyone out there who has a mobile hotspot that works with AT&amp;T that they can recommend. I'm particularly interested in one that can take an external antenna.<br>

Latest posts