Tesla Pickup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfShadows

Reaction score
I am waiting for more info on the Tesla Pickup. I understand it will be in production in 2 years. At 500+ miles range  I think it would be doable. Artist conception of it now is that it has high ground clearance, and can fit a ford F150 in it's bed. So larger than a truck camper would be in order.

I have been traveling in a 1994 4x4 G30 high ground clearance electrical emergency response vehicle that I have converted. I don't care much for the flat lands so I take my current rig up into the hills/mountains on precarious roads away from the hub bub. My current rig hasn't let me down yet. Considering the future and if The Tesla Truck is what I think it is. I may break out the cash for it.

If anyone hears of updates, could you please post those to this thread.

And zero to 60 in 2.2 seconds. :thumbsup:

They can't be far away. I watched a new to me Formula E race that took place in NY or London a couple weeks ago. Talk about a quiet race for F1 cars, a lot of tire squeaking and chirping and thats about it. For racing it gives a whole new meaning to fuel management. When the batteries die your race is over, and they make the race long enough for battery management to come into play the last few laps.

They will still need Dyno juice to charge the batteries but, that will soon be addressed too.

If you haven't seen anything on electric race cars, check it out. https://www.fiaformulae.com/

Tesla brings pride back to american made. I remember some redneck talking shit and brought up his RAM dually. The tesla guy posted torque specs for his sedan. It makes 50ft/lbs more torque than a cummins dually. He simply said "let me know if you need me to pull you out of a ditch"

I take it there will be a very scary price tag on this vehicle ;)

Traget is "under $49k base"

Most trucks are now higher than a mid-engine corvette

Nobody knows what it looks like yet or how big it is. Only those involved in the making do. I like pickups and would consider one of these as a backup vehicle. I wouldn't take any long trips in it though.

Why? They have a huge network of superchargers.

Instead of a 15 minute stop for gas, at least an hour? to recharge? There are quite a few rechargers around but I don't want to plan travels around if there is a charging station around.

I  would have no reservations taking it on long road trips. The increase in charging stations make it viable. More charging stations are being erected on a daily basis, some are in the middle of nowhere.  On a standard 110 20 amp circuit the batteries charge 5 miles distance per hour. At dedicated charging stations batteries charge to full within 1/2 to one hour. Boon docking would be feasible every 2 weeks go into to town and charge when resupplying. With a decent solar array on camper would add to the extension of time off grid. An added feature of Tesla's vehicles is their own satellite internet included with vehicle purchase. my son has the model 3 Tesla, he has internet where ever he goes. I am totally impressed with Tesla.  

If the Tesla Pickup matches or exceeds the off road capabilities of my current rig, I will make it happen. I have decided to live my remaining years travelling. Not only in the Americas but Shipping my rig to Europe For an eastern European boon docking trip along with Scandinavia.

Elbear1 said:
Why? They have a huge network of superchargers.

All of those charging stations are in metropolitan areas...exactly the places I want to be furthest from. I haven't personally seen one closer than 2 hours from my house. Upon further research, I have 2 station within 60 miles North of me...usually the opposite direction of where i'm headed.

I don’t like all the tracking tech in these cars or truck to be and how they store and use it. Other than that if I had the money I would buy one.

ckelly78z said:
All of those charging stations are in metropolitan areas...exactly the places I want to be furthest from. I haven't personally seen one closer than 2 hours from my house. Upon further research, I have 2 station within 60 miles North of me...usually the opposite direction of where i'm headed.

I see them everywhere. Theres like 12 within 30 miles from me now sitting way up in the uinta mountains.

Looking through I70 corridor all through kansas to utah down I15 into az and east on 40 through flagstaff. theres stations every 50-100 miles at most.

B and C said:
Instead of a 15 minute stop for gas, at least an hour? to recharge?  There are quite a few rechargers around but I don't want to plan travels around if there is a charging station around.

So a 1 hour stop out of a 10hr drive day of 400+ miles is a deal breaker? You dont poop, check your oil, eat lunch, stretch your legs, clean your windows, or let the dog pee when you stop?

Personally id have to stop twice as it is now and each one is at least 30-45 minutes. Prolly much more as I make some coffee and cook lunch or dinner. But even if it didnt its not like I got anywhere to be.

14 hours to go 900 miles to see my sister. One day trip, full tank before I leave, a fill up halfway and a fill up when I get there. Not possible in that truck. My sister lives 50 miles from Atlanta in the mountains. I take care of business before I leave and I can hold it. No livestock anymore and I clean the windows the next day. My vehicle doesn't use any oil as it is always full. When I am destination driving, I don't stop for squat.

A leisurely drive somewhere, maybe.

I am guilty of being a marathon driver as well. I have been trying to cutback on that style of driving. One charge on the way to a thousand mile destination for 1 hour  is not that inconvenient for a marathon driver. Possibly 2, 1/2 hour charge stops. Ohh well.

I drove across country with my cruise set at 50mph.

I have never seen a charging station "in the middle of nowhere". can you post some of these?

I have only seen them along interstates and major secondary highways.

I seldom spend an hour in a town, why would I? even on resupply days I don't spend that much time in town.

driving into the back country with a half charged battery is akin to half a tank of gas. would you do that?

highdesertranger

The whole process involves more charge stations than their currently are gas stations. Anyplace that sells anything you can drive up to will sell electricity. And for a $4.00 bill per "tank full" I'd not be opposed to stopping once every 300- 400 miles if that was the range.

Now spending $49K for a truck isn't in the budget. Maybe $10K for a 10 yr old.... Crap, who am I kidding, I'll be nothing but dust by the time an all lectric truck is that old.

Oh and I usually allow 30 days for all point A to point B travel. I like meandering in what could best be described as a wavy or zig-zag driving pattern. Couple weeks ago it took me 8 days to travel almost 200 miles. Love me some small town coffee shops and them 6AM fresh baked cinnamon rolls. :thumbsup: No chain stores thank you.