2020 AWD Transit opinions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of trading in our 2017 Ford F150 4x4 and our 2018 Ford Transit mid roof for a 2020 Ford Transit AWD (with the same 3.5L ecoboost we have now).

We are only using the F150 during the winter, the rest of the year it just sits gathering dust, age, and insurance payments.  The Transit we have is so much nicer to drive, gets 18mpg and holds so much more stuff.

The problem is snow.  We like snow activities.   Our 2018 Transit with its rear wheel drive and not much weight on the rear wheels cannot deal with the foot of snow we sometimes drive through.   Other than that, it can do everything the F150 can do.  It even has a higher payload.

Enter the AWD 2020 Transit.   But it is not true 4x4 with low range like the F150.  Ground clearance is some pitiful 6.8 inches or something.   

Can it be lifted a bit?  Would this still make it a decent highway driver?   How would AWD be in a foot of loose snow vs the 4x4 F150?

I am leaning toward NOT doing this trade in, but still interested in opinions that might sway me.  I think we could pretty much do an even swap of the 2017 truck and the 2018 van for the 2020 van and pay no sales tax either (because trade in).

Many vehicle manufactures will void the warranty with a lift as wear is increased on driveline components. Changing tire size is the easiest but again with newer vehicles can cause problems. You would need to raise it several inches to get through 12" of snow and not plow snow without loading the van and running tall skinny snow tires with clearance for chains. If your going to do a foot of snow just get some tracks! LOL!!! Specialized tires (Hakkapeliitta) like the Norwegian Rally cars use are available for big bucks but may be your best choice as you only have to change tires instead of vehicles once a year.

There are many variations on AWD systems. For example, Subaru offers several different kinds, with different capabilities. Here's a video about the differences:

Furthermore, AWD is not the same as 4WD, and they have different capabilities and limits. Here's a video about that:

Don't expect an AWD Transit to have the same capabilities as your 4x4 F-150.

I am surprised that ford would offer an awd transit without at least 8 inches ground clearance.

That's because the AWD on the Transit is probably meant for slick pavement, not off-roading.

personally I don't like AWD. it uses more gas. wears out parts faster. more expensive to fix. now-a-days to get around the terrible drivability they have very complicated systems.

do not lift an independent suspension vehicle you will have nothing but headaches. taller tires are ok to an extent.

if you want 4WD get a true 4WD. with a transfer case you can put in 4WD and take out of 4WD and locking hubs.

my 2 cents.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if you want 4WD get a true 4WD.

Yeah, that means for a van you'd be talking to Quigley. Or maybe Unimog.

IGBT said:
Can it be lifted a bit?  Would this still make it a decent highway driver?   How would AWD be in a foot of loose snow vs the 4x4 F150?

You may learn what you wish to know here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2020-ford-transit-awd.203291/

I don't think lifting or big tires are a possibility. These appear to be made for slick roads and snow, but not deep snow. You can get an aftermarket 4wd system with a mild lift and low range, but these are ~$15k or so.

After I bought my first 4wd truck (a 2016 Tundra) I was surprised out how limited the 4wd system is. You can only use it on slick or loose surfaces... so if you are driving on a road that is mostly clear but has slick spots, you need to leave it in 2wd. The 4wd and low range will come in handy getting out of the ditch ;) Of course if you are driving in a blizzard, on a muddy road, or on the beach you can leave it in 4wd. But compared to my wife's Forester it's usefulness for normal driving is limited.

highdesertranger said:
personally I don't like AWD.  it uses more gas.  wears out parts faster.  more expensive to fix.  now-a-days to get around the terrible drivability they have very complicated systems.

I think my wife's Forester is great. I haven't noticed any significant downsides and traction on slick surfaces is stellar. Ground clearance is also excellent. Has about 130k miles now.

if you have AWD and you like it that's fine. the OP wanted opinions on AWD and I gave mine. I have a 1978 Chevy 4WD and it still works fine. also in the 70's Subaru had a pick-up called a Brat, there was thousands of them everywhere, if not millions. when was the last time you saw one on the road? AWD tears it self apart on surfaces that have good traction. on surfaces with good traction there is no reason for 4WD or AWD. again for most people 95% of the time it is not needed. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Yes thanks all for the replies.  I do not think the 2020 Transit AWD is viable for the snow that we currently go through with our F150 and its low range 4x4 (have plowed through 1.5 feet of wet snow at times).  It is a shame because the 2018 Transit is a better vehicle than the F150 in almost every other way (visibility, cargo).  After our recent cross country trip from Washington to Florida and back in the Transit, when I hopped into the F150 with its tiny windshield, it felt like going from HD tv to SD.

highdesertranger said:
AWD tears it self apart on surfaces that have good traction.
I wonder how you can say that when Subarus are one of the most reliable and long lived vehicles and they all have AWD that's on all the time... :s

"Subarus are one of the most reliable and long lived vehicles and they all have AWD that's on all the time..."

if that's the case where are all the Brats. did you read post 11. your definition of long lived and mine must be way different. if the 70's are to far back how about the 80's how many do you see from the 80's or the 90's. they were sold here until 1994. I haven't seen one actually driving on the road for years.

however if you think they are great and you like them good for you.

highdesertranger

So... the absence of Subaru Brats on the road is your one data source for the assertion that AWD sucks? :s

A possibly more relevant anecdote: "Forbes has compiled a list of the top 10 cars most likely to run over 250,000 miles. It's not a surprise that a Subaru made the list. The Subaru Forester SUV made the top 5 vehicles list that is most-reliable and able to pile up the miles according to Forbes."
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/forbes-says-subaru-forester-most-likely-run-over-250000-miles

250,000 miles is child's play. I just chose the Brat because it's a easily recognizable vehicle. also I don't put any stock in reviews form organizations that accept advertising dollars. I have worked on cars my whole life, I even owned an auto repair shop I know the difference between long lasting vehicles and not long lasting vehicles.

look I get it, you love Subaru's I thought I already said it but I will say it again, that's fine.

for me however I keep vehicles for the long haul. I buy vehicles that are rebuildable with easy to find parts. most people keep vehicles for 7 years I keep them for decades. I have a 01 Ford F-250, 7.3 diesel 4x4. I have a 78 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 crew cab, service bed. last but not least I have a 1947 jeep CJ2A 4x4. they all run and I can get parts for all of them. in fact for the Jeep and the Chevy I can get every bolt , nut, screw, even the frame, and body parts there is nothing that isn't available. you could actually mail order the parts and build a vehicle. also my buddy and I have started to stockpiling Chevy trucks, just in case parts become hard to get. we also sell some of them. at the present time we have 9 Chevy square body trucks.

highdesertranger

I drive about 15,000 miles a year, so 250,000 miles would last me over 16 years.

I usually dump a vehicle at 100,000 miles though.   My time is worth more to me than breakdowns and waits for repairs.

If the van is worth $6,000 with 100,000 miles and 7 years on it, then my cost is $24,000 over the 7 years, or $3,500 a year.

Acceptable.