2020 Ford Transit Adds AWD / New Engines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
Ford is doing the first update of Transit since 2016. Transits are apparently doing well for Ford - they;re pumping money into it: this is major upgrade with lots of new features

Chevy had a good year selling its old vans. One wonders how long that can last. The next generation Chevy/GMC - if it occurs - is not due for another 3 or 4 years.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26657959/2020-ford-transit-van-photos-info/

[font=Georgia, Times, serif]Of the current Transit’s three engine choices, just one—the twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 with 310 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque—remains onboard for 2020. The base 3.7-liter V-6 is out, replaced by a 3.5-liter V-6 with both port and direct injection. It's similar to the 3.3-liter V-6 in the F-150, which makes 290 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. (Ford has not yet specified any output, fuel economy, payload, or towing figures, so bear with us.) Shoving aside the diesel inline-five, the 2020 Transit borrows the sequentially turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel inline-four from the overseas Ranger Raptor. Ford confirmed that the U.S. version produces the same 211 horsepower and 369 lb-ft, up from the five's 185 hp and 350 lb-ft. All engines pair with a 10-speed automatic transmission (goodbye six-speed) that offers a wider spread for improved fuel economy.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, serif][size=large][font=Georgia, Times, serif]Although Europe received the option of all-wheel drive from the very start, the U.S.-market Transit didn't, but now it's available with the two gas engines. The U.S. version, which differs slightly from the Euro AWD, can send up to 100 percent of torque to the front axle, according to Ford. Unlike the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4—the only full-size van to offer all-wheel drive—the all-wheel-drive Transit maintains the same ride height as its rear-drive brethren.[/font][/font][/size]

https://gearjunkie.com/ford-transit-awd-van-2020

Yep, you read that right. Ford will finally bring consumers an AWD system — from the factory — in its latest van offering. With Mercedes unable to make the 4×4 Sprinter fast enough to meet demand, this is a very smart move by Ford.

Unfortunately - clearance - my major concern with the Transits has not changed

"The AWD Transit will also have the same ride height as 2WD Transit vans. While this makes loading gear easier and keeps the center of gravity low for safety, it doesn’t offer the ground clearance you might want for off-road travel.

By contrast, the 4×4 Mercedes Sprinter offers a more conventional 4×4 system, with a selectable low range. These 4×4 Sprinter models also offer improved ground clearance and are available with diesel powerplants."

Lots of new safety features.

Safety is crucial in modern vehicles. As such, Ford will outfit the new Transit with the latest safety tech. The new vans will come standard with Pre-Collision Assist with automatic emergency braking and Pedestrian Detection, forward collision warning, post-collision braking, Lane-Keeping System, and auto high-beam headlamps. The Transit passenger van XLT is also equipped with Ford Co-Pilot360, which adds a Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage and cross-traffic alert.

In addition, the 2020 Ford Transit will also have other new driver-assist features. These include adaptive cruise control, a front and rear split-view camera system, and an adjustable speed-limiting device.

Sounds nice but I like pre computer diesel vehicles as when they get older the car companies doesn't care to service old computers, sensors, etc. IMHO it's planned obsolencence as this link explains https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/car-part-longevity/cars-designed-to-fail.htm I just lost a Ford F-150 4x4 as a mouse ununated on the computer & some wiring. I was lucky I had storage insurance & they totalled it. I have 2 diesels, the last month of the 12 valve 5.9 Cummins 1 ton 12' flatbed & the last full year of the IDI 7.3 in the 1 ton ambo, both pre computer & very low miles. The Cummins you can double the HP & torque just by tuning. The IDI is considered Fords best Diesel here's the link https://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ & I have the best year, Later is Better: If you have a choice, select the newest-model Ford IDI you can find, with the ’93 to ’94 years being best. You’ll get a better glow plug controller, serpentine belt system. The 7.3L is desired more than the 6.9L because it has larger, ½-inch head bolts instead of 7⁄16-inch versions. I was lucking to find these but they're out there & you can buy a can of new car smell & no depreciation. You can't buy a better built van type vehicle than an ambulance IMHO.
Google planned obsolescence cars & you'll find many articles

Back on topic, I'm still about 5 years out from an upgrade, but it's nice to know AWD is coming to the Transit.
There should be a few used AWD models in my price range by then!

I'm not looking to venture off-road, but the realities of crossing the Rockies in late fall or early Spring and Winter weather in the NE in general make AWD a plus.

StarliteRambler said:
They are going to offer swivel seats as an option also.

Yes, another excellent option which shows that Ford is going after travelers and van life crowd.

BinDerSmokDat said:
Back on topic, I'm still about 5 years out from an upgrade, but it's nice to know AWD is coming to the Transit.
There should be a few used AWD models in my price range by then!

I'm not looking to venture off-road, but the realities of crossing the Rockies in late fall or early Spring and Winter weather in the NE in general make AWD a plus.

My thought as well. By the time Chevy/GMC makes its new van I would have to buy a new or near new one and probably one that hasn't go the kinks worked out. I want a hi-top and better MPG. 

Unfortunately the Transit clearance problem remains. I called up Quigley though - asked about 4wd conversions and was told that the owner drives a converted Ford Transit.

cortttt said:
My thought as well. By the time Chevy/GMC makes its new van I would have to buy a new or near new one and probably one that hasn't go the kinks worked out.

At this point, it looks like 2022 at the earliest for something new from GM, and they’ve committed to production of the existing vans through 2023. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder if a DEF fluid is going to be needed or DPF filter to clean is going to be on board for the diesel engine :dodgy:

If I were getting a Transit I would skip the diesel and get the 3.5L turbo.  It has more hp and torque and still gets 15 to 20mpg.

I would also choose the EcoBoost over a diesel. I've owned a couple of DEF-mobiles and that technology still has a ways to go. Clogged sensor = $600 shop visit.

I sure wish GM would make a high top, or Nissan an extended van. I've owned three Fords and all had transmission issues. One at 90k, one at 65k and the other started slipping at 45k. This were around 15 years ago though- have they improved the trannies on the recent models?

@StarliteRambler, Ford improved the transmissions beginning in about '97/'98 with better thrust bearings and pumps. Rebuilders upgrade the transmissions to the new spec when they rebuild them now.

"the owner drives a converted Ford Transit"

yeah he drives it from his house to his work. real demanding.

highdesertranger