Truck vs camper quality

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. My truck is a 2011 and the camper is somewhere around 2000 to 2005. The camper does have a wet bath and electric popup. Takes 5 minutes to raise it but it's nice. The guy who had it took really good care of it and his son said his dad only took it out once a year.
I did notice that the vinyl shows some wear in the rear but looks like I may be able to patch it.
I asked Hallmark if I could bring it by and have them look at it and Andy said he'd do it for free and give me a walkthrough also. I'm hoping to make the trip to Hallmark later next week.
I'm excited to get on the road and having to get rid of just about everything in my apartment is taking a lot of time. Thrift stores are happy though.

Ah... hope you give us advanced warning when you want to rehome the Alaskan. I have an F-250 4wd that’s looking for a buddy to adventure with

[ATTACH=full said:
24724[/ATTACH]highdesertranger pid='471508' dateline='1571149648']we need pics or you are just making this up.  I'm hoping to show it off at rtr this year but here's a night shot.

Attachments

• rsz_20191018_200531.jpg
    rsz_20191018_200531.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 12
Firtree said:
Ah... hope you give us advanced warning when you want to rehome the Alaskan. I have an F-250 4wd that’s looking for a buddy 
I do love the Alaskans.

bullfrog said:
If you go to the foamies forum at teardrops and tiny trailers site there are a few simple topper builds.  They can be built very cheaply.  I basically built a 80" long box 80" wide that I could mount to the existing bed at barely stand up height, super strong and super light as well as well insulated for around $500.
:thumbsup: Links to your camper build?

I looked into making a foamy camper (using canvas and glue), but some experiments indicated that PMFG was very weak compared actual FG, and I'm fine working with FG so going that route. I'm removing the bed and building directly on the frame. But for simplicity, cheap, and quick, you've got it nailed!

You did great! Best of luck on your adventure! :D :thumbsup:

Not that computer knowledgeable for posting. But I too was concerned about strength of foam alone and started looking at layered panels (SIP) and found them too costly for me but loved the concept. I found cheap damaged lightweight interior masonite doors that I used canvas,glue and paint with thin plywood and spray foam on weight bearing areas to work great especially with designs that had no uncovered holes. As long as you have no standing water or water intrusion into the interior of the panel they work great. I found out from previous projects that permanently placed metal fasteners draw moisture and weaken joints so I used glued wooden dowels and removed metal screws afterwards if at all possible. Easily repaired and maintained it has held up for several years now. I have a trailer in southern Utah and truck topper in southern Arizona. PM me is you want to look or have questions. My biggest problems with fiberglass were cost, weight and ageing not to mention the learning curve to work with for me.