Terrorist Attack in London

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballenxj

Reaction score
At The Houses of Parliament. It's getting scary out there folks.

You have a better chance of dying from falling out of bed. 200 people died that way last year.

I don't think it's any scarier now than it's ever been. There always have been and always will be people that want to do other's harm. Your chance of being a victim are very slim. A small bit of preparedness can make those small odds even smaller.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was best friends with a kid growing up who is a socio/psychopath. He's absolutely capable of killing someone and has gone to jail for trying. However, in 36 years that he's been on this earth, there are only about 5 or 6 days in that span he committed acts of violence. So, even the people committing such atrocities are only doing it on rare occasions. You could eat breakfast with a serial killer and never even know it.

You may want to get in a RV, go to the hills or desert or some place similarly remote, around no one and hide out. Much safer than....oh wait, that's what I'm doing right now.

In the US, you're pretty safe. Unless you're a Jew. How many churches have armed guards at services and two during the holidays? How often do non-Jewish community centers get bomb threats? How many Jewish institutions get vandalized every year? How many of you have been yelled at or had things thrown at you walking to or from services (that's normal for us-we don't even bother to report such "trivial" occurances if no one is injured)? For most Americans, it's almost always the Other that gets attacked. We are the Other. Even though the numbers of incidents are relatively small, most of us, if not in their family, are within a degree or two of separation from someone who has been attacked, threatened or murdered for their religion.

My father in law was a slave-laborer. My husband never met his grandparents or any of his aunts or uncles or any other close relations. They were all murdered. Yeah, when things like terrorist attacks happen, we do feel vulnerable.
Ted

when the truth equals fear mongering and ignorance is the response

yes,in 1939 iowa it was far more likely to die getting out of the tube then being killed by a nazi

how did that mentality work out?

Sad thing is, and not surprising, is that even though this crime involved a knife and a vehicle - NO GUN - the antigun whackadoodles are raising their usual stink about banning guns again.
How about we actually do something about THE CRIMINALS?

That would make too much sense, and actually work, at least to some extent

Ted, so sorry for that there are so many ignorant people out there who choose to attack people for their religion. I can't understand any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeRevell said:
Sad thing is, and not surprising, is that even though this crime involved a knife and a vehicle - NO GUN - the antigun whackadoodles are raising their usual stink about banning guns again.
How about we actually do something about THE CRIMINALS?
All of the above is truth. For those that are worried that I might really be worried when I said it's getting scary out there, don't be. I felt I should post at least some text with the link, This post was meant to be for information only.

It's a heck of a lot safer in London now than it was thirty years ago with IRA bombings

In fact crime is down tremendously in the US too. Fear is useful to keep people controlled.

Crime is a good thing, for the authoritarians. People will give up a lot to feel "safe".
Today, NOWHERE is safe. We face a variety of threats. I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy to lug around. No room in my budget for donuts either.
Even traveling, you must be careful.
We still haven't gotten "the rest of the story" regarding this London attack.

WalkaboutTed said:
In the US, you're pretty safe.  Unless you're a Jew. ...
Ted

Or African American, Hispanic, Arabic, or any other non-waspy version of humanity.

Discussion needs to be kept on track - thread is about a Terrorist attack in London not USA hate crimes.

Please don't turn it in to something that the mods will have to close!

When you're out and about, it still might be a good idea to be aware of your surroundings instead of focusing on your phone.

Nomadventurer said:
Discussion needs to be kept on track - thread is about a Terrorist attack in London not USA hate crimes.

Please don't turn it in to something that the mods will have to close!

Discussion is valid. Period. Don't make of it what it isn't.
Few of us are in London. This problem is global. Nuff said.

From a practical van dweller's perspective, if you're just living out in the boondocks, you've probably got nothing to worry about.

If you're traveling around playing tourist, I think you need to be aware of the fact that touristy gatherings are going to be a potential target of these lone wolf attacks.  They don't need explosives.  They don't need guns.  And they may well decide where and when to strike by flipping a coin.  There will be no "chatter" to alert the authorities that something is coming.  In short, the authorities will be reacting after the fact.

The bad guy was armed with 'only' a knife, but he was able to kill one officer and wound three others....these police officers were unarmed.
It was only when an armed officer arrived at the scene and shot Mr. Masood was the carnage stopped.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8100f4-0f98-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html

Amid the attack probe, tributes poured in for Palmer, the officer who was fatally stabbed, a 48-year-old husband and father who was unarmed at the time of the attack.
“He was a strong, professional public servant,” lawmaker James Cleverly said in an emotional speech in Parliament.
Lawmakers also acknowledged Tobias Ellwood, a senior official at Britain’s Foreign Office, who tried in vain to save Palmer’s life.

Michael Fallon, Britain’s defense secretary, said security arrangements at Parliament, which has a mix of armed and unarmed officers, would now be reviewed.
:(

Yeah, I don't think you can get much safer from terrorist attacks than boondocking in some remote wilderness area somewhere. However, even in more populated and touristy areas, the odds are still *really* low. I have a friend in London and watching her deal with all of her concerned friends on FB has been kind of a hoot. She is just like "London is a big city, you guys"

Cars are everywhere, knives too. Nutters and haters are everywhere, as well. I feel a lot safer knowing British gun laws had something to do with this nutter not having a gun.

Lots of discussion here in Aust noting that criminals and nutters come from all sections of society; zero discussion of guns on the street. Religious affiliation has very little to do with determining whether or not a person will be a criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.