Terrorist Attack in London

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the fear mongering by the all forms of mass media, do we really need, on this forum, somebody telling us to be careful, because bad people do bad things, occassionally?

IBT inevitable L

People seem to be unhappy about something. I wonder what their unhappiness is about? Maybe someone should address that facet?

Using terror as a tool to get what you want is not what humanity should be about. However, thats what humans do.

slynne said:
Yeah, I don't think you can get much safer from terrorist attacks than boondocking in some remote wilderness area somewhere. 

In the boondocks, you just have to deal with poachers, crazies who live in the woods, crazies who retreat to the woods from the cities, and other various and sundry wackos.  Granted, the population density of them makes them fewer and farther between...  but believe me, they're still there.  I have been in places in the past twenty years that the theme from "Deliverance" should have been playing from loudspeakers in the trees.  Remember that everyone is "normal..."  until you get to know them.  ;)

"Safety" is relative, and mostly illusory.

My friends in the UK have already told me how amused and amazed they are that we Americans are peeing our pants over this incident even more than people who actually live in London.

Depends on one's "philosophical leanings". (Trying to avoid the "P" word....).
We on the Right simply note the difference in culture between the USA and Merry Olde Blighty. Does their innate fear of weapons make them less safe? How about their police, 90% of whom go on duty with no gun? Would that stabbed officer have been able to survive, had he been armed? We will never know.

WalkaboutTed said:
In the US, you're pretty safe.  Unless you're a Jew. How many churches have armed guards at services and two during the holidays? How often do non-Jewish community centers get bomb threats?  How many Jewish institutions get vandalized every year? How many of you have been yelled at or had things thrown at you walking to or from services (that's normal for us-we don't even bother to report such "trivial" occurances if no one is injured)? For most Americans, it's almost always the Other that gets attacked.  We are the Other. Even though the numbers of incidents are relatively small, most of us, if not in their family, are within a degree or two of separation from someone who has been attacked, threatened or murdered for their religion.  

My father in law was a slave-laborer. My husband never met his grandparents or any of his aunts or uncles or any other close relations.  They were all murdered. Yeah, when things like terrorist attacks happen, we do feel vulnerable.
Ted
Israel just arrested a Jewish kid who was making some of those threats. Combine this with other instances that have happened and one wonders how much tension is real and how much is created by people who just lke to make drama.

lenny flank said:
My friends in the UK have already told me how amused and amazed they are that we Americans are peeing our pants over this incident even more than people who actually live in London.

The US is full of scaredy cats.  There is an abnormally large percentage of our population scared to leave the area they live in, many of those not scared to leave their small circle and see some of the country are scared to leave the country.  We travel less than most other citizens of first world countries.  

The top ten causes of death in the US are:

Heart Disease
Cancer
Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease
Accidents
Stroke
Alzheimer's
Diabetes
Influenza
Kidney Disease
Suicide.

And a gun won't protect you from any of them and a terrorist or psychopath won't inflict them on you.  But nobody cares, they chose to focus on the things that will likely never happen and ignore the things that likely will.  Go figure?

Every Road Leads Home said:
The US is full of scaredy cats.
A tiny bit harsh, perhaps.   Maybe some other cultures make better decisions about and have a more realistic understanding of just how dangerous it is, out there.

For example, when driving in places like Britain and Australia, I do not fear being shot by a fellow road user should I inadvertently do something to piss them off.   Driving in the USA, I am in constant fear that I should do something wrong and get blasted for it; something about the likelihood of a bad situation coming my way.

ugh, why do we have to go here. again stay on topic which is "terrorist attack in London." highdesertranger

There are crazy sick people everywhere.  They do not carry signs, or play Banjo's to be identified by.  

The odds of being a victim are so slim, that it is not even on my radar.  I am more worried about the next stroke, as well as falling in the tub.  My thanks to whoever brought THAT up.   :dodgy:

The reporting of the London incident is providing all sorts of opportunities for the haters. Several have taken it upon themselves to read the minds of people who have been seen in the vicinity. An obviously young, scarf wearing woman (hijab wearing) walking past the location with a victim in the background, has been called out as uncaring, etc. The fools posting this kind of silliness on social media need to wake up, skill up, and develop some critical thinking skills.

Ticklebellly said:
(Clip...........) fear being shot by a fellow road user should I inadvertently do something to piss them off.

Well just don't camp out in the fast lane like it is your duty to slow and block traffic, and the road raging will Loonies  zip right past you on their way to their personal running of the rats marathon.

Keep right except to pass, and the roads will be better for all.

Every Road Leads Home said:
The US is full of scaredy cats.  

I quite agree. For a country with the biggest and most powerful military that has ever existed in all of human history, we sure do frighten easily.

One of course has a far better mathematical chance of becoming a millionaire by winning the lottery than one has of dying in a terrorist attack.

On my "list of things to worry about", it is pretty close to the bottom.

SternWake said:
Well just don't camp out in the fast lane like it is your duty to slow and block traffic, and the road raging will Loonies  zip right past you on their way to their personal running of the rats marathon.

Keep right except to pass, and the roads will be better for all.
Ha! a good analogy. Some folks think it's their duty to God and the Highway Patrol to stay in the far left (Fast) lane, while not letting people get by, therefore creating a more dangerous situation than the people that want to drive fast.

Isolated violence has been going on for hundreds and thousands of years, the only reason people are so afraid and paranoid about it now, is because of the 24 hour news cycle of reporting every little incident to keep the public in fear. People who fear something or anything are easier to control, because then the powers that be, can offer a solution to keep you safe, which most likely will result in losing personal freedoms. Stop watching so much tv, and refuse to become a fearfull person, and that is when you can start exerting your personal freedoms, and truly experience life like it was meant to be experienced.

lenny flank said:
One of course has a far better mathematical chance of becoming a millionaire by winning the lottery than one has of dying in a terrorist attack.
Sorry, I disagree. Count how many people have been killed in this country from terrorism vs. how many have become millionaires via a lottery.
You have to count all the people that were victims, and the terrorists themselves from events, to San Bernardino to nightclubs, and churches.
Here's an interesting article about lottery millionaires. https://talkingaboutnumbers.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/how-many-lottery-winners-are-there-in-a-year/

Ballenxj said:
Sorry, I disagree. Count how many people have been killed in this country from terrorism vs. how many have become millionaires via a lottery.
You have to count all the people that were victims, and the terrorists themselves from events, to San Bernardino to nightclubs, and churches.
Here's an interesting article about lottery millionaires. https://talkingaboutnumbers.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/how-many-lottery-winners-are-there-in-a-year/

Alas, you are mistaken--those numbers have actually been counted:

"According to the GTD (Global terrorism Database), 80 Americans were killed in terrorist attacks from 2004 to 2013, including
perpetrators and excluding deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq, the majority of which are combat-related.
Of those 80 Americans killed, 36 were killed in attacks that occurred in the United States"

https://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_AmericanTerrorismDeaths_FactSheet_Oct2015.pdf

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]"As of November 2010, there were only 247 winning tickets paying one million dollars or more"[/font]

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]https://talkingaboutnumbers.wordpre...ry-winners-are-there-in-a-year/[/font][/SIZE]

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]Then there is this:[/font]

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]
bi-graphicsodds%20of%20dying.png
[/font]

Terrorism is, simply, a nano-problem. We are all peeing our pants over nothing.

The terrorists win, be it London, Paris or New York, when we, the average person, live in fear. It's an interesting subject to discuss and when an event happens it's played in the news for-freaking-ever. No one can stop the whack jobs who decide to kill innocents because of religion, lack of religion or the color of ones skin or someone's sexuality.

We, the US of A, have more spy agencies than anyone in the world and most are just as useless as tits on a boar hog.

I refuse to live in fear of attack from anyone. I'll go down like Davy-efing-Crockett, back against the wall and guns blazing. Or not.

Rob

The news has a way of making the entire world feel really small. So when you hear about acts of violence everyday on the news, online, in the paper, etc. Your mind thinks "oh my god, the world is so dangerous" But the world is HUGE! Even though we can be instantly connected information wise, physically speaking we are still very separated. They chose to spread all the fear in the world as their message, as it's a powerful tool to keep the masses in line. I think that's what religion used to do and think that's why religion was originally created.

Take the day that London attack happened, how many positive things happened that day as well? Like a firefighter rescuing a family trapped in a burning car, habitat for humanity building a family down on their luck a home, make a wish sending a little kid with cancer to disney world, etc, etc. Make no mistake, fear makes people lots of money. If the majority of people are scared of terrorism, this allows government to wage war against it, waging war against it means fighter jets need to be built, missles need to fly, very lucrative contracts for a world of intertwining interests for the elite. It's no coincidence top CEO's and politicians are all friends with one another. Each gives the other exactly what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts