Terrorist Attack in London

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IanC said:
I wonder what those figures would be in the middle east.  I bet being 'accidentally' killed by a foreign bomb or drone would be right up there with terror bombing.  

I was going to bring this exact subject up and decided to not go there.  Their chances of being killed arent as statistically as unlikely as ours, maybe even statistically very likely, I'll have to do some research.  

There's a never ending supply of recurits for ISIS and other terrorist groups for this very reason.  We have orphaned an inordinate amount of little boys, they grow up only knowing pain and hatred towards the West who did it.  So they seek revenge and are welcomed with opened arms into the terrorist groups.  For many it's the first family they've ever known and they will protect it fiercely.

Just because no one else has posted this:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune

So many voices in our world tell us to fear, but we are not beholden to follow their directions. We can search out information, evaluate risks, choose our own responses and refuse to live obsessed with nagging fear and worry.

Too many (even here...) mistake vigilance and concern for one's safety as "fear". Quite different things, really. Do not paint all Americans with that wide stinky brush. Same with those in Europe. Not all are mindless drudges locked into the lemming train.

Ballenxj said:
IMO, most here are Sheeple, and don't know what a Sheep Dog is.

BAAAHHH.  JYO.   :p

In my experiences,  Once things are put into perspective people will suprise you.   

People are at their best when things are at the worst.

Picture from near the event.

weekend-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-235.jpg

Attachments

• weekend-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-235.jpg
    weekend-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-235.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 28
lenny flank said:
And at this point I stop listening.

And that's the beauty of this being a free country, isn't it?

Hepcat: "Rules for a Gunfight."

NICE! I've never run across that before!

ERLH: "There's a never ending supply of recurits for ISIS and other terrorist groups for this very reason. We have orphaned an inordinate amount of little boys..."

"Little boys" might be an important term, regarding violence. I suspect that many of them (esp U.S. recruits) are just in it for the 'fun' (violence), where they can exercise their vicious tendencies, get praised for it, and it doesn't occur to them that they may become the victims.

Ballenxj said:
And that's the beauty of this being a free country, isn't it?

Sadly, one of the prices we have to pay to remain a free country is putting up with silly Infowars-type conspiracy theories on the Internet......not to mention all sorts of other netloons ranging from moon-landing-deniers to creationists. The Internet is the collective brain of humanity--and 99% of it is horseshit. (sigh)

But yes, that is the price we pay for being a free country.

Every Road Leads Home said:
We have orphaned an inordinate amount of little boys, they grow up only knowing pain and hatred towards the West who did it.  So they seek revenge and are welcomed with opened arms into the terrorist groups.  For many it's the first family they've ever known and they will protect it fiercely.

Let's watch those blanket statements, shall we?  With the Palestinian suicide terrorists, they often have families who are given a large monetary sum after the action.

You've got a religion/cult/philosophy (pick one) that embraces martyrdom and promises a reward of 72 virgins in the afterlife.  Wonder what they promise the female suicide bombers?

lenny flank said:
...Sadly, one of the prices we have to pay to remain a free country is putting up with silly Infowars-type conspiracy theories on the Internet...

Operation Mockingbird - Operation Northwoods - Project MKUltra - Tuskegee Syphilis Study

All very true conspiracies. And that is just naming a few, not even going to get into the surveillance issues that have come to light. I (think) I know what you are talking about, and yes, some of them are silly. But...don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Well...just don't throw babies. Plus, have you seen A.J with his shirt off shilling that new male hormone whatever?!? Thats hilarious!

"Wonder what they promise the female suicide bombers?"

I've wondered about that, too.

What do they promise female suicide bombers? Actually pretty much what they promise male suicide bombers. That whole “72 virgins” thing is a myth. At best it might be a metaphor for heaven but since so many wives is forbidden by the Quran, it seems doubtful. What is promised is that exact same thing every soldier is promised when they fight for a cause and face death. The same lies we tell our own soldiers imho. They are fighting for the freedom of their people. They are promised honor and respect and are praised for their selfless sacrifice. Sometimes their families are taken care of. Those terrorists are ultimately no different than anyone else. They mostly want the same things other people want: power, autonomy, freedom (however they define it), economic prosperity, access to resources, stability, etc.

slynne said:
What do they promise female suicide bombers? Actually pretty much what they promise male suicide bombers. That whole “72 virgins” thing is a myth. At best it might be a metaphor for heaven but since so many wives is forbidden by the Quran, it seems doubtful. What is promised is that exact same thing every soldier is promised when they fight for a cause and face death. The same lies we tell our own soldiers imho. They are fighting for the freedom of their people. They are promised honor and respect and are praised for their selfless sacrifice. Sometimes their families are taken care of. Those terrorists are ultimately no different than anyone else. They mostly want the same things other people want: power, autonomy, freedom (however they define it), economic prosperity, access to resources, stability, etc.

The major problem comes in their insistence of forcing their way of life on US. We left the 7th century behind long ago, and have no wish to return to that way of life.

LeeRevell said:
The major problem comes in their insistence of forcing their way of life on US.  We left the 7th century behind long ago, and have no wish to return to that way of life.

I guess I don't really see that happening. I mean I suppose that world domination might be a goal and certainly they have pretty authoritarian cultures in many predominately Muslim countries but I am not sure how much they want to try to impose their way of life on the US. Not that they have the ability anyways. If anything, it is the USA that is imposing our way of life on them. I don't even mean primarily with our military, although there is that. Just with our dominance in global entertainment, we Americans are constantly spreading our culture everywhere! I think that since the reason it is spreading is that people seem to like it, it is good but seriously, we impose our culture more than the other way around.

That meme with the Muslim woman and the caption, "In my country I am forced to keep my mouth shut. Here I am free to talk trash about this country in the hopes it changes into a country where I am forced to keep my mouth shut" makes me wonder how many Muslim women you know. I mean, none of the Muslim women I know would ever advocate for a system where women are subservient to men. Most are downright feminists! Granted, but for an Iranian woman  who lives in Tehran, all of the Muslim women I know are American Muslims, most born here even. They LOVE American values including Freedom of Speech. They are Americans through and through.

I live close to a town that is predominantly Arab Muslims and Arab Christians. There are burka stores!* I always hear people say that this town, Dearborn, has imposed Sharia Law on its citizens! No, not true! There are bars and strip joints and all kinds of whatnots. As far as I can tell, the ONE thing where they are imposing their culture on the rest of the town is that Dearborn does not allow dogs in their city parks. So, I dont bring my dog with me to Dearborn. I asked a dog loving friend who lives in Dearborn where she goes with her dog and she said the dog park in the next town so really, not that horrible of a rule.

Overall, I just wish people could meet all of the decent, modern, wonderful, Muslim people I know because I think it would help with fears based on stereotypes. I also think that toum can bring world peace.

(Burka stores which, btw saved me a lot of headache since I am sun sensitive but also sunscreen sensitive. Solution? Burkini!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts