Has Anyone Tried Combining House Sitting and Vanlife?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackallan

Reaction score
We have been on the road for over 12 months now. It would be nice to get a chance to really give the van a good clean out as well bake (I am defiantly missing having my oven) some friends suggested house sitting. Has anyone else done this? Was it easy to find assignments where you could park your van??

Hi. It started out for me around 2014 I guess. My relationship had failed and I had wanted to live a minimalist lifestyle. For the first year or so I journeyed with a friend. This is with him sharing his housesits generously with me. He is a community minded person and I am more of a reclusive type so I would have had difficulty getting my housesits to begin with. A number of years ago he stopped doing housesits but in that time when he's needed somewhere to stay I've offered my housesits to him while he decides what to do next.

In that time I've maintained some of those relationships and still do winter housesits. I do the shorter housesits as well more as a goodwill as it can be quite a bit of work doing a full house clean for only a couple of nights stay.

I've had different vehicles in that time and most recently have been vehicle free relying on an electric scooter or public transport or walking to get around. I organised use of a car for my housesits so that was amazing. I have a wagon again so it makes things easier to keep your belongings with you.

Obviously it helps not having a huge amount of 'stuff'. Or any stuff at all really. Also, enjoying pets and dog walking is a must and being a reliable person accounts for the most. Essentially, it's all about trust and honesty. For instance, this winter I was looking after a rural property with a leased out paddocks. The farmer had decided to chop one of the few remaining trees on the paddock down. I took some photos and emailed them to the owners with the dates times etc. I have dealt with that farmer before but I just left it with the owners and they were grateful.

In the longer housesits things will happen. Animals will get sick/die and all manner of things can go wrong. It is a huge responsibility and when things go wrong it really feels like it's a pain but for me it has been worth it for the lifetime friendships Ive made with lovely people and animals.

My housesits have all been through word of mouth so that's a big point of difference for how most people do it.