• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

TENT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwilk

Reaction score
Finally wore out my tent, so looking for another. I'll be at the RTR, you? What do you have?

I have a Coleman instant tent, it sets up quickly and held up in mild winds. The big storms with high winds just about damaged it. I put a UV protection on it did well for the summer. I had it set up all summer, I took it down for a few thunderstorms then set it backup. After one summer I learned a smaller tent or a round shaped tent will hold up better. I'm looking for a better tent and found a few that hold up better and last longer in the sun they are canvas tents and round or pyramid shaped. I was thinking of getting a tepe but they are not very portable with 20' poles.

http://www.canvascamp.us
http://www.elliscanvastents.com

If I ever have to spend another night in a tent, just shoot me!

Love my van...

When I was 17 I went camping in Pipi valley off Highway 88 in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Slept under the stars and enjoyed it on a warm August night.

Every experience since then has been most unpleasant. Too much wind, too much moisture, too cold, too hard and on and on.

The memory foam bed in a semi controlled environment just works for me. Don't have to put it up or tear it down either.

It's awesome that you enjoy it though! :)

Has been a long personal debate. Tent vs van. Since I just do part time trips it's a tent. Most day a tent will fall apart in 50mph storm winds in the desert. Bet that happens often. Be very careful about your design plan. Many add lots of tarps and extra rope. Plus are very strategic about wind blocking.

66788 said:
When I was 17 I went camping in Pipi valley off Highway 88 in the Sierra Nevada mountains.   Slept under the stars and enjoyed it on a warm August night.

Every experience since then has been most unpleasant.   Too much wind, too much moisture, too cold, too hard and on and on.

The memory foam bed in a semi controlled environment just works for me.  Don't have to put it up or tear it down either.

It's awesome that you enjoy it though!  :)

We started out with a 2 man pup tent and a toddler. I swear DH used to gather boulders to put under our sleeping bags and watch the weather reports for surprise hurricanes and blizzards to camp in. I never caught him at it, but there in no way that many mosquitoes and spiders and ticks could find that tent by themselves. They had to be caught and brought in. When I finally refused to go on one more miserable endurance test, he bought a small Coleman pop up. It was a pain for him to hookup, haul and set up, but was just enough of a step up in comfort that I started having a good time. If momma's not happy, nobody's happy.

I tend to enjoy tent camping over the travel travellers because it allows easy set-up and breakdown. I know of single person tents that an individual can set up or break down in 10 minutes :) .

Not this one But it is VERY STURDY and take 2 people but I tend to camp weeks so the set up is forward payment and a nice wood fire payback.

Great for a quicky Like. wood fire would melt it. Sometimes the slow go way is more responsible. thanks for the link (guess i'm old school)
found my first canvas tent in a dumpster

buckwilk said:
Finally wore out my tent, so looking for another. I'll be at the RTR, you? What do you have?

Bibler I-Tent.  My backpacking tent.  <4 lbs, setup in 3 minutes, can be erected from inside.  Has held together in 90+ MPH winds.  Can sit up inside.  Great solo tent, small for two people.

Walrus 3-man dome tent.  My canoeing tent.  Roomy (5' high in center), airy (mostly bug netting), heavy (8+ lbs), pain to set up (3 X 12' poles).

Eureka Timberline 4-man tent.  Inherited from parents.  Decent cheap tent.  Won't handle wind very well.  Used mostly for saving a campsite if I have to leave for any reason.

ACagedTraveller said:
I tend to enjoy tent camping over the travel travellers because it allows easy set-up and breakdown. I know of single person tents that an individual can set up or break down in 10 minutes :) .

What can be a faster setup (drive up, go in back, go to sleep) or breakdown (get up, get in truck, drive away) in a TT?

-- Spiff

It is even faster in a van or RV as you don't go outside at all.  Stay dry even if it is stormy. :p

Never have, never will.  

It is hard enough standing up from a chair.  Getting up after sleeping on the ground?  

The Coyote will eat me while I lay there squirming!   :(

More power to those that can.