Stove top Biscuits

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheelEstate USA

Reaction score
I don't bake often enough to keep flour and such on hand, so sometimes I get a little 5 count fridge can and some Libby's sausage gravy (not bad for canned). 
This morning it is windy and I didn't wanna set up the solar oven. I decided to try a stovetop method.

I used a 6" iron skillet with a pot perched on it. Put the biscuits in the pot and covered, over a medium flame.
About 20 minutes the biscuits were done...

IMG_20160416_091215894.jpg
IMG_20160416_091229260.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_091215894.jpg
    IMG_20160416_091215894.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20160416_091229260.jpg
    IMG_20160416_091229260.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 12
Those look good !

I keep a jar with some bisquick in it for the quick n easy biscuits urge !
Just add water...

Your quickie oven idea is cool (or should I say HOT!)

So the iron skillet was empty? What kind of metal pot?

bindi&us said:
I don't bake often enough to keep flour and such on hand, so sometimes I get a little 5 count fridge can and some Libby's sausage gravy (not bad for canned). 
This morning it is windy and I didn't wanna set up the solar oven. I decided to try a stovetop method.

I used a 6" iron skillet with a pot perched on it. Put the biscuits in the pot and covered, over a medium flame.
About 20 minutes the biscuits were done...

You can also do a hoe cake - it's basically a fried biscuit. 
Self-rising flour
Water
little melted butter
Mix it up and "fry" like a pancake in any skillet. It is good and it's cheap bread.

Anybody curious about self rising flour , it's just regular flour with baking powder added.

Jay, your stacked skillet and pot is very similar to our Ovenette.

You can cook a lot of different things and it is quick. I just made a chocolate cake! I think ready made mixes like the ones from Jiffy would work good but I haven't tried any except corn bread.

Karen...I have seen those. 
This was a trial that worked well enough that I will try a few other things. I love cornread so will get some Jiffy. 
I could split a box of cake mix and make small ones a couple times.
This works well since I am using the cookware I have.

Guy...Double use is why I used the 6" iron skillet and covered 2qt pan sitting on the rim of the skillet.
In a larger skillet one could use a clay tile or 3 small stones in a triangle as a heat ballast.

I think I could have lowered my heat a tad to get a fluffier buscuit and less toasty on the bottom.
I'll have to play with it and try other things, like cornbread.