make great toast on a single burner portable stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
This thread is about a combination of two products that when used together that make a great toasted slice of bread. You have to use both of these things in combination with each other to get it to work.
Here is the image of my toaster setup on my Gas One mini propane/butane stove.
toaster.jpg
One item needed is a stainless steel heat diffuser, the other item is a stainless steel steamer rack. These items MUST be made of stainless steel. You can not set the bread directly onto the surface of the diffuser, it will stick to that surface and burn, you must elevate the bread above the diffuser by setting it on a elevated rack. The diffuser is what spreads the heat out across the width of the surface instead of having the heat being the diameter of a small, concentrated ring of flames.

The heat on my little stove was adjusted to between medium and low. So not the lowest flame possible but also not as high as medium. A little experimentation and once you get it figured out use a permanent marker to put a little tick mark on the heat dial so you know what the perfect setting is for next time. Warm the heat diffuser up for a minute or so before you put the bread onto the rack. Stay focused and stay right there, be ready to flip the bread, it will toast very quickly, this works much faster than an electric toaster or making toast in a skillet. Use tongs or a fork to flip it, don't risk burning your fingers trying to do it by hand.

Here are two images from Amazon of what to buy to make your own stovetop toaster, click on the photos to enlarge them. The product description can be used to find them on Amazon or elsewhere on the internet. The elevated, steamer stainless steel wire grid rack is different than the one I have but it is the right size and it is stainless steel. My rack was a thrift store find, but the one from Amazon is perfect for the job.
diffuser.JPG
stainless rack.JPG

Do note that I did use the diffuser shown from Amazon, the metal will change color from the heat, that has happened to mine. That is not a problem, that is just what happens to stainless steel when the high heat of a direct flame is applied to it. It does not change the functionality.

Please do not reply to this post telling everyone how you make toast. If you feel the need to tell that to everyone just start  a thread of our own about how you make toast.  This thread is about one specific method which has not been shown before.

As always, be very careful when cooking. You can't leave it and go off to do another chore, this is not an electric toaster with a timer and shutoff, there are no built in safety features for the unfocused human mind with this DIY toaster setup or any other gas stovetop method of making toast.

Attachments

• toaster.jpg
    toaster.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 34
  • diffuser.JPG
    diffuser.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 49
  • stainless rack.JPG
    stainless rack.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 39
Been using one these 4 slicers forever. Folds flat for easy storage.

Coghlan's Camp Stove Toaster...$3.14.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s-504D-Camp-Stove-Toaster/8586944

They have a Coleman just like it for 5 bucks.

[img=320x320]https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=.../md/coghlans-camp-stove-toaster.jpg&f=1[/img]
Just re read post....oops.
OP wrote:
"Please do not reply to this post telling everyone how you make toast. If you feel the need to tell that to everyone just start  a thread of our own about how you make toast.  This thread is about one specific method which has not been shown before."

C'est la vie

Wow must really love your toast!

Great post though. . .

John61CT said:
Wow must really love your toast!

Great post though. . .

It is not about my loving toast, I don't use toasters all that often. It just evolved from solving other issues. I am a designer of many things including jigs and fixtures.  The work I do in making things requires understanding what tools do, how they do it and what further uses they can be put to.

I actually did not set out to create a toaster. I acquired the wire rack and the diffuser while experimenting with the single burner stoves to solve (a)the issue of supporting small diameter pots and (b)how to slow simmer foods without having scorching in the center of the pan due to the concentrated heat spot created when the burner flame was set on low. So in solving those two issues I realized I might have another benefit, a new way to make toast by combining those recently acquired tools. I have a very small travel trailer and a somewhat small tow car, so I do try to focus on multipurpose uses of things. Working with limitations leads to creativity :)

I also use the Coleman 4 slice toaster and it does make a fairly good defuser. It keeps that "hot spot" from burning if it's left folded flat. But remember!, It stays warm for a while tap test it before you grab a hold of one hot potato!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Beeps and eats said:
I also use the Coleman 4 slice toaster and it does make a fairly good defuser. It keeps that "hot spot" from burning if it's left folded flat. But remember!, It stays warm for a while tap test it before you grab a hold of one hot potato!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

It certainly does look like a nice diffuser plate on the Coleman. I noticed that in the photo shown of one above.