pizza stone that fits into a Coleman stove-top oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Waykea 9” Round Pizza Stone for Toaster Oven | Cordierite Grilling Stone Bread Baking Stone for Grill, Oven

Small enough to fit inside a Coleman stove top camping oven.

Sold on Amazon, today's price on it was $18.99 include free shipping with an Amazon Prime account.

It is a lead free, natural cordierite stone, the advantage is being thermal shock resistant meaning it can go from cold to really hot and back onto a cold surface without risk of fracturing the way some ceramic stones will. Also not as heavy as many other pizza stone types of materials. Every type of pizza stone has its pluses and minuses. But at least this one is small enough to use in the little camping oven but still large enough for one person, maybe even two with enough side dishes. Also good for baking biscuits and bread on it. A pizza stone absorbs the moisture from the crust so you get a properly crisped bottom crust rather than a soggy one.  But it can also help to even out and distribute the heat inside of a camp stove to prevent burned bottoms on pans of other items such as pies and cakes.

Thanks, I bought one of the folding Coleman ovens (broken knob/warranty replacement pending) and I was thinking about some sort of heat diffuser. Best I can tell the oven can get plenty hot on a little butane stove. T

Be very, very careful using the Coleman oven on top of a butane stove Trailer-T.

The oven is just large enough that if you center it over the burner it will cover the top of the canister compartment. The butane stove should come with (mine did) a warning that you shouldn't use a pot/pan that is large enough to cover the fuel compartment. The heat from the oven/pot could overheat the butane canister causing an unwanted discharge of fuel!!!

I did use the oven once over the butane stove in an emergency - it was cold, windy and rain when I was about to make the cornbread to go with the chili! Yes, in my world, that constitutes an emergency...  :D   It didn't' fit too well! Now I watch the weather forecast before I break out the chili!

How hot you can keep the oven at depends on the ambient temperature and the wind speed. I tried using my reflectix window panels as a wind break a couple of weeks ago. Good thing I rarely use them for the windows because they kinda got messed up when the came too close to the oven.

On a calm warm day you can get the oven to 400 F quite nicely...today you'd have been lucky to get 250 out of it with the stove on high!

Yikes. Thanks! You saved me on that one! I only tested out the oven on that butane stove one night in November (it was pretty cold then ) and it popped right up to 400 F. Fortunately, I also have a 2 burner Camp Chef Everest stove with a remote propane tank that can keep away from the heat so I can hopefully make the oven work without cremating myself??

But that little $20.00 Coleman butane stove is so handy to fire up -- ---I wish it could work. Many thanks again. T

Don't discard the butane stove or its' use just yet!

I use the butane stove inside my van probably 90% of the time. it fits the countertop way better than  2 burner stove with either a hose to trip over or a canister taking up more space on the counter - and I have a huge counter as compared to most RVs and DIY builds - I am a foodie btw...lol.

The 2 burner stove is used outside when I need to be cooking for more than 4 or 5 or when I have stuff that needs a long cook time - chili, spaghetti sauce OR when the oven is needed.

Learning to cook a full meal on a 1 burner stove can be challenging for some who have never done back country canoeing/backpacking trips where we cook on 1 burner stoves like my Trangia alcohol stove. You get used to pulling one pot off when it's half cooked knowing that the heat will finish it while you get something else on the burner. Pasta, rice and potatoes/veggies do really well this way.

Almost There said:
Be very, very careful using the Coleman oven on top of a butane stove Trailer-T.

The oven is just large enough that if you center it over the burner it will cover the top of the canister compartment. The butane stove should come with (mine did) a warning that you shouldn't use a pot/pan that is large enough to cover the fuel compartment. The heat from the oven/pot could overheat the butane canister causing an unwanted discharge of fuel!!!
Do you know if there are any dangers with a snug fitting stone in a Coleman propane stove? I saw a square one that I wanted to order.pizzastone.PNG

Attachments

• pizzastone.PNG
    pizzastone.PNG
    85.5 KB · Views: 10
Carla618 said:
Do you know if there are any dangers with a snug fitting stone in a Coleman propane stove? I saw a square one that I wanted to order.
The biggest issue with a large stone in a small oven is that it does not allow the hot air to circulate around the oven properly. That means your food is not going to bake correctly. In order for cookies, breads, meats, pizza to cook and brown on top you need good heat circulation inside of the oven so that the top of the food is also cooked. The hot air has to get to the upper half above the pizza stone.  That smaller diameter 9" round stone still leaves plenty of space along the edges and at the 4 corners of the oven for air movement. A large square stone will block the movement of the hot air. So the answer is don't buy a snug fitting pizza stone, it won't do a good job of making pizza in any oven or bar-b-que.

You need the hot air to circulate up to the top of the oven as well as having the bottom half hot. This is why convection ovens work so nicely for baking foods, they have a fan that circulates the air for even heating.

x2 on what Maki said. the stone/diffuser can't fit tight. what you are trying to do is to eliminate the hot spot that you get in the center of the oven but you still need the hot air to be able to circulate. highdesertranger

Actually pizza stones are not about eliminating the hot spot but of course that is a great benefit to one. What a pizza stone is mostly about according to the reading I have done on the subject is absorbing moisture from the bottom crust so that it gets crisp. I suppose the concept also partly goes back to the traditional masonry pizza and bread ovens. There the fire is put into the oven, the oven is allowed to become fully heated, then the fire is raked out and the pizza is laid directly on masonry the oven is made or lined with. The pizza stone is replicating that traditional cooking surface so that a closer match in cooking results can be made.

I am not a pizza purist, I don't turn down a slice of pie because of the type of oven they use. So far I have never owned my own pizza stone, too expensive.

maki2 said:
I am not a pizza purist, I don't turn down a slice of pie because of the type of oven they use. So far I have never owned my own pizza stone, too expensive.
Seems they vary greatly in quality and price and I don't know how to tell the difference. I bought my first in the early '80's and loved it. I broke it after 5-6 years. Maybe 10 years ago I bought another & never liked it. It was very light in color, felt like fine sandpaper and food always stuck to it. Plus, it had a weird smell. Big difference between the two, but no idea what to look for in one.

Carla618 said:
Seems they vary greatly in quality and price and I don't know how to tell the difference. I bought my first in the early '80's and loved it. I broke it after 5-6 years. Maybe 10 years ago I bought another & never liked it. It was very light in color, felt like fine sandpaper and food always stuck to it. Plus, it had a weird smell. Big difference between the two, but no idea what to look for in one.
go to a store where you can touch it to feel the surface.  You know the feel of the one you did not like.

Ever since seeing a YT video of a guy using a pizza stone in a Coleman Folding Oven with very good results, I've meant to get myself a stone.

This thread reminded me to do it because as well as enjoying better baked food, it'll use less fuel and cook better if I use a pizza stone.

Thank you for reminding me.

This thread is almost four years old, but it has tips about cooking in a Coleman oven. A tip I saw on youtube was to use an insulating blanket to cover the oven. Much like the covers for 12 v refrigerators. The guy used a fireproof blanket/fabric and sewed it together used JB Weld.

Any ideas for a better way to "sew" it together?

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
This thread is almost four years old, but it has tips about cooking in a Colman oven. A tip I saw on youtube was to use an insulating blanket to cover the oven. Much like the covers for 12 v refrigerators. The guy used a fireproof blanket/fabric and sewed it together used JB Weld.

Any ideas for a better way to "sew" it together?
The keywords you need to identify and order a thread suitable for that task are "High temperature sewing thread" such as Kevlar thread. A possible local DIY option is going into a hardware store and purchasing a spool of very fine gauge stainless steel wire. Then from a fabric store get a large eyed, sharp tipped, heavy duty needle. To secure lengths together use pliers to twist about 3/8" inches or so of tail ends together.

Last edited:
All this sounds great but I'm pretty lazy sometimes, so I'll stick to my little air fryer and the Jackery to power it for an oven. I can 'bake' 3-4 muffin sized whatever's at a time and it gets to about 375 Though not if the wind is making it colder. I still have to come up with something to block the wind in my mostly outdoor cooking space.
I made a little reflector oven if we are ever out with a fire going but we don't do fires as much anymore so....
Anyway, love to hear all these ideas.