Gadgets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagabum

Reaction score
Some of you new to camping and boon docking may not know about this little folding toaster rack. It works pretty good. Can be useful in the winter if you are already running a burner in the morning to knock the chill out or for making toast to go with your soup when ever. I have one and I like it, and it's not like some chopper gadgets in which the clean-up time undermines the effort. It folds flat and stores anywhere and is easy to use and to clean.  Oh, how to use, you simply put it over the flame and the heat rising  through  the perforations does the toasting, you have to baby sit it.
https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-504...=1605017748&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-20&th=1&psc=1

Attachments

• toaster 3.jpg
    toaster 3.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 4
  • toaster 2.jpg
    toaster 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4
folks had one of those way way back in the old days. I still can remember the toasty smell waking up.

We often have Weird shaped baked goods to toast.........that folding one makes that difficult

We use a box toaster like this

Toast er.jpgToasted.jpg

Attachments

• Toast er.jpg
    Toast er.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Toasted.jpg
    Toasted.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 8
It's a larger gadget but one with multiple uses just the same.

You can adjust the height of it's chain to  suspend a dutch oven to cook in, use a stock pot for soup or to boil water, attach a grill for cooking meat or vegetables. Place pots, pans, coffee pot or other kitchen gadgets on the grill as well.

The three legs are often made so they break down in two or three pieces each.  Then they store in a canvas sleeve and don't take up too much room.   If the lid of the dutch oven is placed on the grill with the handle facing the fire,  it can be used as a griddle.

These are often found at Walmart in a large "pizza" type box. 

[img=240x360]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Rm8QF2lMP8_queffiQN7ImY7LshdKA&usqp=CAU[/img]

I like cast iron, but it is heavy and I don't want to have to deal with he shoot.
I'll stick to stainless steel and gas. Easy clean-up, and lighter to haul around.
But if I had a cabin...!? : :shy:

bagabum said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]BB, just as an FYI, you can delete all the characters after the Amazon P/N and the link is much cleaner.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-504D-Camp-Stove-Toaster/dp/B0000AUSTK[/font][/SIZE]

I've always wondered whether the toast doesn't get contaminated by propane gas when using those toaster kluges.

They do make the Dutch Ovens in aluminum.  They cost about three times as much and are much liter, work as well, and you can use them with foil containers if cleanup is too big of an issue.  As for soot, a good paint brush can brush much of that off and a wet sponge finish the cleaning.

Dollar Tree is a good source for  foil cooking containers.

When you're finished with the meal and the DO is cool it can be used for storage of many other utensils.
I guess it just depends on how effortless you want things to be.

Aluminum is not good for cooking, I haven't had any aluminum pots or pans for the last 20 years.