Storing herbs & spices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the discussion everyone. I'll stick with the glass jars the spices came in and a few jars I saved or picked up inexpensively. I like the rubber band idea. Add labels to the lids and find a shoe box that will hold them and I'll be all set.
1abe0e4b8834086ac7e426b71d65d138.jpg

Magicwolf said:
I know you've settled on something but I just saw this thread and wanted to toss this in.

In the future maybe you could make a DIY magnetic holder? There seem to be a lot of varieties of this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Easy-and-Cheap-Magnetic-Spice-Rack/
Thx for that link. I'm developing an addiction to neodymium magnets & like any excuse to buy more [emoji6]

I was thinking of buying up the circular low profile metal containers for spice storage a little at a time as they can be expensive but looking at that link, maybe I'll try to diy something. If I diy it I can make it square, saving space also.

Cheers

PS I love your avatar. I mentioned to a friends daughter that I would make her an apron as I needed to practice my sewing skills. Knowing her favorite color is purple I expected her to want a purple apron. No, she wants one with a wolf on it. I've been to several large fabric stores and looked online to find material that has a large block that contains a solitary wolf similar to your avatar. My next solution is making an iron on transfer. Is your avatar from a particular picture that I might use to print out a transfer? It's really just what I was looking to find.

d24b6e88b49707d31801c4396a13988b.jpg

These colorful magnetic spice jars are $2 each at world market. Maybe a little overpriced, but they're pretty and functional!

Hi gypsychic. Thanks for the compliments on the avatar, my daughter drew that for me. I'll ask her when she gets home if she minds if I send you a larger version.

I love neodymium magnets too and have a line of them stuck to my fridge. They've come in handy for a number of things :)

Magicwolf said:
Hi gypsychic. Thanks for the compliments on the avatar, my daughter drew that for me. I'll ask her when she gets home if she minds if I send you a larger version.

I love neodymium magnets too and have a line of them stuck to my fridge. They've come in handy for a number of things :)
That would be very nice but since she drew it specifically for you I'd completely understand if she didn't want to share it. Your daughter did a great job!

Though I am not FTing yet, when we do take camping trips, I have a Sterilite Sweater tote that is full of labeled baby food jars of my spices, and I am able to also store other kitchen stuff in it to keep the jars from banging around.

The problem with storing herbs in glass jars under a cabinet, or anyplace where they are exposed to light, is that they age very quickly in sunlight. Within a several weeks, green herbs will start turning grey. Spices last longer, but it probably takes a toll on them, too. They need to be in opaque jars or in a cabinet. (I learned this the hard way after buying cute jars to display my herbs and spices on the built-in shelves in my new kitchen a few years ago. Not a success)

good point Jana. I can attest to this also. speaking of which does anybody knows where to get square shaped stainless food and spice storage containers? highdesertranger

Or you can scroll thru a bunch of really cool old vintage ones:

https://www.etsy.com/market/vintage_spice_jars

Page after page. You might get stuck there like I was... some have racks. If you get ones with metal tops you can always stick them under a cabinet with one of those magnetic strips.

I use metal spice jars, attached to magnets stuck onto my walls. That way I take up no cabinet space even with a lot of spices around.

from Amazon you can purchase small sized polycarbonate storage jars from the Nalgene company. They are quite suitable and durable for storing spices. But as with all spices don't store them in the light, keep them stored in a cabinet or drawer. However if you really do like to have your spices in an easy to reach rack use some printable vinyl to create your own fun graphic labels with the name of the various spices on them. A complete wrap of vinyl will keep the light off the spices. Always nice to have your own custom touch in your home on wheels including a custom built spice rack.

I was traveling in my first Van long before the internet with it's laptop's and digital cameras.  My photography then took place with a 35 mm Pentax and the photos shared around the camp fire in a 3 ring notebook where the prints were in plastic photo pages.  One of the side benefits of this was that I kept the little containers the film came in and it could be used for storing herbs and spices. 

These were great for small quantities of seasonings that I would not need much of.  Like Tarragon.  Since I wasn't out for long extended trips I didn't really need a bountiful spice collection.

If I had a small bottle of season all,  salt & pepper then that could take care of a lot of my needs. Usually less than 10 things
were my must haves as dry items.  Garlic powder,  Italian Seasoning,  steak seasoning, cinnamon, dried onion flakes, dried vegetable flakes, and summer savory.   I also carry ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire Sauce,  hot sauce, oil & vinegar, and some chicken & beef bouillon cubes. 

I've noticed Dollar Tree  has small plastic containers the size of those film containers.  These could be spray painted to keep light out and then labeled to indicate what is in them. 

But I don't want to spend all of my time cooking when I'm traveling.  If I were in camp a few days I might cook more and lay some food by in the ice chest before I go on the road again.  

If you don't cook much and don't know much about what herbs & spices go with what foods check out the bottom link in my signature lines and look for......spicerack.homestead com.  It's one of my websites.

if you are going to get plastic containers get PETG or polycarbonate. PETG is the plastic used for milk containers and other food safe storage plastic. Those keywords will help in the searches.