Storing batteries and power stations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scadwell

Reaction score
For part timers, what is the best way to store batteries and powerstations when not used for months? We have a couple Lifepo 100ah batteries, a bluetti power station, and golabs power station that won't be used for months. Should they be discharged to a certain percentage or kept charged and topped off every so often when stored and not in use? Thanks for any help!!

I have kept mine around 75% to 80% for several months now and haven’t seen any discharge. My understanding is with this type of battery damage can occur if completely charged or completely discharged. Also I store it out of direct sunlight as extreme high temps can also damage them. Where I’m at cold isn’t really an issue. This is just my opinion.

It's best to discharge them a bit, rather than store at 100%. Their self discharge rate is very slow (~1% /mo).

Lead acid wants to be full all the time. Lithium doesn't at all, so 40% State of Charge (SoC) is a good safe number. Nickel don't like being full all the time, and slowly discharges or fast if it's Nickel Iron. The Nickel Metal Hydride in a Prius likes a bit of charge in it all the time.

Read the user’s manual that came with the products you purchased.. That is always a good place to start. Of course not all manuals are of the same quality but they should cover those state of charge concerns.

If you can’t find the paper copy you should be able to download them from the maker’s websites. They are usually found under the menu heading of “Support”. I also recommend taking along at least a digital copy on your journeys. When you do not need to use all the functions it is very easy to forget what buttons to push and what sequences of steps need to be followed. Sometimes electronics stuff can get into a state of “lockup” from incorrect button pushing or porter outages, blown fuses, etc and need resetting. So keep your manuals easily accessible without having to go online because the power stations are very handy when the grid power goes out! Which is another reason not to let them get all the way down into the lower charge range.

Add a recurring reminder to check the charge every so many months to your cell phone calendar, for the lithiums maybe every 3 months if you are concerned or maybe every 6 months as they do not discharge rapidly when there is no draw on them.

Last edited: