Storage box for swing away cargo carrier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDance57

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just put a hitch on the van, I already have a swing away cargo carrier that will go into it. Now I was wondering what would be a good cargo box for it to store gear? I have a wooden foot locker like we used in the army back in the day, god knows how old it is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My suggestion is to figure out what you want to carry and then find a box or boxes that will hold what you want in a configuration that works for you. In reading and seeing videos about people who use their own boxes or boxes not specifically designed for hitch mounts is that there is often a need to seal them from the elements (rains and dust, specifically).

Matildas mate said:
My suggestion is to figure out what you want to carry and then find a box or boxes that will hold what you want in a configuration that works for you. In reading and seeing videos about people who use their own boxes or boxes not specifically designed for hitch mounts is that there is often a need to seal them from the elements (rains and dust, specifically).

I really do not have a specific list dialed in of what goes in the box, I am still finishing up the rig. But, your right, it has to be sealed against the weather. Probably lockable to. If any one purchased something let me know.

Thanks

my advice would be as strong, light weight and dust proof as possible. highdesertranger

I use a Husky Tradesman Tote.

It originally had wheels on it and I had Rob pound them off for me so it wouldn't look so portable on the back of the van. It still has the pull-out handle that was intended for moving it around - I use it for a drying rack for wet clothing and towels... :D

I like it because it's dust and water proof, has a small tool carrier inside for all the little stuff and is sufficient size to pack all my loose stuff that I must carry. Oh and it was inexpensive - $65.00 IIRC at Home Depot - 3 years ago.

It didn't immediately match up for mounting so we took a couple of pieces of 1x3 cut to length and mounted them on the hitch platform. The box is then mounted (bolted) on to the 1 x 3x. At first I used Locktite on the nuts to make sure no one could 'borrow' the box...very foolish, the bolt heads are inside the box and anyone trying to steal it wouldn't get very far.

Sweet idea. I like that tote, water and dustproof. I looked it up on Amazon. It is an organizer also! At first I thought the wheels would be cool to keep on so you could remove while camping. But, your right, it would be to portable for a would be skulker.

Here is another idea. Using the cheaprvliving affiliate thru Amazon of course!

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Hit...1538700201&sr=8-3&keywords=whistler+cargo+bag

But, from the bad reviews,e the straps are weak, can fly off the hitch, not waterproof, everything was soaked, bring lots of duct tap because it tears, but the good reviews love it. Lol.

Thanks!

Be forewarned that if you go the route of the Husky Box, it takes major effort to remove the wheels.

They are not meant to come off and Husky makes a great product - it must have taken Rob at least 2 beer to get the darn things off. We just about gave up on the task.... :rolleyes: 

It probably would have been easier to just cut the axle but we didn't have the right saw for it!

I have access to the right tools, and will cut anyone's axle, if they want.

I've seen people use smaller sized locking "job boxes." The steel ones can be heavy and the aluminum ones can be expensive.

I love Action packers and I have 4 of them. they are waterproof as far as keeping rain out but they are not dust proof. so being on the back and driving on dirt roads everything inside will be coated with dust. I don't mean a little dust I mean a lot of dust. highdesertranger

SunDance57 said:

Not unless he's switched it out since the last time I saw  him.

Bob had the same box as I use but on a fixed platform. When he saw my new swing away platform outfitted with the Husky Tradesman tote he jumped on the opportunity to have the swing away platform. Sooo much easier than having to unload the platform to get in the back doors.

It's hard to find online the Husky Tradesman Tote in those terms. A picture would be nice.

I've got an old packer which I hope fits the carrier I've ordered. Since HR says it's dusty I'll put in stuff that doesn't mind.

Waterproof but not dustproof? Shoot, back to research. I did find some information and photos on the CRV blog. Duh. Shoud have looked there first.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/conve...rgo-carrier-receiver-hitch-extra-cargo-space/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KD9HZ...&pd_rd_r=e356a8ba-c9b9-11e8-b2bf-cf80deb9a4ab

Looks like a large Rubbermaid (Stanley$) job box and a Actionpacker Rubbermaid.

I don't know. I need to put something on soon. Any pics of the husky tote would be great.

I might go Stanley.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-0370...1&refRID=FFWDH47WKCEYK7Q21FFD#customerReviews

Thanks

RVTravel - that's the one that Bob and I both have!

It's great and a great price.

No, it's not as big as the one you can buy with the platform from stowaway2.com but neither is the price tag... :) 

I've got all the vehicle spare fluids, 2 1/2 gal gas can, power cords, electric heater, small power tools, spare parts/screws totes, etc. etc. ad nauseum in there. It's packed full but it  holds all that shit that you need to carry that tends to run around loose in the vehicle causing endless reorganizations and
much cursing!

I have a KNACK TOOL BOX. It’s on a pull out locking arm from my back hitch. Keeps my stuff safe.

In the paddling community the boat cockpits are covered (in transit) with stout fabric that has a strong bungy cord..over the lip of the cockpit. That could be tried over the lid of a toolbox for more dustproofness, if needed.

highdesertranger said:
they are waterproof as far as keeping rain out but they are not dust proof.

That's odd, considering water molecules are smaller dust particles.