tin storage bins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o_O ...it's almost concerning how many times people suggest plastic totes, after ... I mention I'm looking for an alternative to plastic totes that waste space because they are V-shaped instead of U-shaped. Even the higher quality ones have wide lips on the top for the lid that prevent them from being right up against one another. Plus if you try to section them off on the insides with smaller squares you wasting even MORE space given they are rounded and oddly shaped there as well too! 😤 ...I think I'm going to look into either wine crates or making my own from thin wood or cardboard with ducktape? 🤔

I like zip-lock bags for food protection, it helps keep everything more individualized vs having the entire bin sealed up together. To each their own, but I just don't get why people overlook the inefficiencies of their shape and praise them so much as being a good value. I guess if you don't need to store them right next to each other the inefficiencies are not as obvious.

Yeah, its hard to not consider plastic. I like your Tin use idea, you can make them your self easily or even have a tin knocker do it for you.

But i will say this, you can 3D print in plastic/Carbon fiber in any shape you want. U, V whatever and exactly a perfect fit that will 100% save more space then just about any other option.

Nothing that hasn't been said, but unfortunately you get what you pay for. In the US, Rubbermaid is a good company for storage totes, I have some that are over 20 years old and going strong. I have also been considering "bus tubs" - the bins they use in restaurants to tote dirty dishes back to the kitchen. Some of them come with lids and they look extremely sturdy and durable. my favorite for looks and lightness are wicker baskets with cloth liners, but they can be, sadly, both expensive and not very durable.
Hi Barefoot, I find those wicker baskets on Craigslist and at Goodwill periodically.

Yeah, its hard to not consider plastic. I like your Tin use idea, you can make them your self easily or even have a tin knocker do it for you.

But i will say this, you can 3D print in plastic/Carbon fiber in any shape you want. U, V whatever and exactly a perfect fit that will 100% save more space then just about any other option.
I was thinking the same thing. This whole discussion is actually a business opportunity for someone wanting to solve this problem.

I also thought about how when we were kids, we used to do paper mache or torn bedsheet strips on cardboard with water and wheatpaste dip. When it dried, the object that was coated with the paper/wheatpaste was pretty sturdy and could be painted or coated with an acrylic coating. You could do that simply with 2 layers of corrugated cardboard glued together (someone earlier named a particular glue that worked). Your finished product could be any custom size, custom color or pattern, and could have a lid.

Consider the metal 2-drawer file cabinets. You can paint them white for uniformity and are light weight. They also lock.