Step truck VS cube van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekking

Reaction score
It seems like the folks here really like the step trucks. I was wondering if there was anyone who prefers the cube van. Neither of them probably get very good gas mileage. Are the steps trucks more rugged then the cube vans and also are they cheaper than the cube vans.

there are several reasons why I love my stepvans, over cube vans.

I like how high I sit in my stepvan. It's like a medium duty truck, and I can pretty much see over all but the tallest vehicles...plus, the visibility when you go somewhere scenic is outstanding!! :D

I like that I can walk from the front all the way to the back, no problem. I don't hafta crawl through a hatch, and I don't hafta get outta my van to go around to climb in the back door.

I like that it's made from aluminum. I don't worry about rust, and electrolysis is easy to derail should it pop up. Plus, the aluminum makes it light, so I'm sure that helps keep the fuel bills lower.

I LOVE my side pocket doors!!! :p I can park right up against something, but still climb outta my van, without worrying about banging into something parked next to me, like a parked car. I also LOVE driving around on a sunny day with my doors slid open!! It's almost as much fun as motorcycling!! (why do you think the UPS man does this???) :D

If I have a mechanical issue, I can lift the doghouse and do repais to my van without ever getting out. (especially nice in bad weather.)

My son and I were thnking one day, and came up with a list of 327 different, fun and cool things a stepvan is great for!!

A cube van can do many of these things as well, but I still think a stepvan does them ALL so much better, and with alot more fun!! :D

as for fuel economy...I'd bet it'd be pretty close to the same for both rigs. Engine & running gear combos are basically available in the same combinations for both vehicles.

As far as price??....hmmmmmmmmm, I can't see why one would be more expensive over the other, besides condition, mileage, and the usual vehicle stuff.

I've had 7 stepvans, and #8 is on the horison!!

Patrick, I really like steppies for those reasons and can count a few more also.
I thought of a box truck at one time partly due to ground clearance below the box. I had thought of mounting holding tanks and some "basement" storage/BBQ/etc under the sides. The boxes needn't be very tall to be quite useful.
I kinda like the truck cab/cockpit feel and Margie feels safer with a hood out front.
One upside with a steppie, I guess, would be a little more box space for the same bumper to bumper length.

BTW>>>here's a steppie that was for sale in Q. Gone now, don't know if it sold.

IMAG1119.jpg

For those not up on stepvans, its a '75 Olson Kurbmaster. This one has the 2 speed rearend.

Attachments

• IMAG1119.jpg
    IMAG1119.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
If I ever get around to building something to keep really long term it will be a steppy I think.

I've only owned a box van and I loved it so I may not be partial. Since I've never owned a Sep van I can't fiarly compare them.

But there is one absolute reason why you MUST get a step-van: the Cummins 4Bt. That is a 4 cylinder diesel engine that is made by Cummins and often put in Step vans. It is an incredible and legendary engine!! Even in a Step Van it can get 20 MPG and will run forever! More often they put the Cummins 6Bt in them and that is the same engine that's in the Dodge Cummins Ram trucks. A truly superb engine but it won't get as good as MPG as the 4Bt. Either one is worth looking around and finding.

The box vans can be bought with the Ford 7.3 diesel but the best they will get is 10-12 MPG.
Bob

Over here it seems that near any diesel step van in my price range has a 6.2 Chev or a 7.3 Ford. Lotsa propane powered ones w. a gas engine tho. I'm torn between getting a step van or a mini school bus. I could pick up the latter, on propane, for abt $2000. ..Willy.

For me the deciding factors would be the headroom to stand up straight (once the floor and ceiling were insulated), the width to allow a side to side murphy style bed, and the total square feet of floor space.

For the engine I would prefer the one that is the easiest to maintain and find reasonable cost parts or replacement engine for (Chevy 350, IMO).

MPG is a certainly a factor, but not the top of the list for me.

Bob

I never see the Isuzu NPRs mentioned as a base vehicle - looks like a lot of them are flatbeds or dump trucks but I see them with 16' boxes on them as well. Being able to tilt the whole driver compartment forward to gain total access to the engine looks neat.

is there a dealer repair company near media pa zip 19063 truck was hit in the rear a 10 foot cube grumman olson aluminum on a ford 1990- 350 may need a rear bumper.or welding also 4 hinges for 2 rear doors, right door out of alignment ;small weld job on right rear +rear door handle key lock minor body work.

Mill Supply Inc, google them they have all the parts you need for a
Grumman Olson Step van, they will ship to you. Good luck.

My box van has a cabover/moms attic and I think that's a huge plus. Putting my bed up there opens a ton of design options. After putting in real thick insulation the floor is still 88" wide and the height is 80".
Stepvans are good looking. I think they get less of a creepy vibe to be honest. I've heard of some having a Detroit "fuel pincher" (diesel) engine which apparently gets great gas mileage as well. Hence the nickname.

I studied diesel engines profusely while deciding on a diesel bus. I wouldn't recommend one of those Detroit fuel pincher engines to anyone. Although they are decent on fuel they are notoriously hard to tune when they need it. I don't know all the particulars but I read it in enough places to heed the warning. I actually doubt they are much better on fuel than the Cummins you find in the step vans.
I eventually bought a bus with a Ford/New Holland inline 6 cyl. Turbo diesel in it. It gets about 11 mpg.

Latest posts