Stealthing Solar Panels: Has Anyone Recessed or Raised Their Roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
I was thinking about how to hide solar panels and/or a roof vent. It occurred to me that if I make a 5" roof side-looking addition to my roof, I could make solar panels and roof vents recessed, or just directly lower down the main portion of the roof (but the last thing I need is less height).

Has anyone done this before with any success? I'm worried it'll be impossible to make look flush enough.

protryon said:
I was thinking about how to hide solar panels and/or a roof vent. It occurred to me that if I make a 5" roof side-looking addition to my roof, I could make solar panels and roof vents recessed, or just directly lower down the main portion of the roof (but the last thing I need is less height).

Has anyone done this before with any success? I'm worried it'll be impossible to make look flush enough.

You either need to be real good at fiberglass if the roof is fiberglass or real good at metalwork/welding if you have a steel roof. Anything can be done, just depends on how much skill, time and/or $$$$ you want to invest. I like the concept, although on a high top you would lose some interior height due to the recess. Might not matter if you're shorter. I'm 6'4" and need all the interior height I can get  :)

I'd think more effective just start with a higher vehicle, like a Sprinter style van, high enough roof flex panels directly fixed to the skin won't be visible from ground level anyway, IMO vent not an issue.

An Odyssey, can't be done.

In between, job for a custom fiberglass shop, but $$$$$

How stealthy do you need to be? A roof rack would help and with creativity could be near perfect.

you're not hiding from anyone who wants to know. stealth is overrated. highdesertranger

Solar City, a Tesla subsidiary is now adding flanges to their house top installations to reduce the visual impact. I presume adequate ventilation gaps are left. This could probably be done cheaply - after someone figures it out!

I agree with HDR.  Stealth is overrated.  All you are hiding the panels from is someone on the same level as the van.  Parked at the bottom of a hill, anyone up the hill can see them.  Parked in a neighborhood or business district, anyone above ground level can see them . . .

-- Spiff

I can't find the link, but someone with a Vanner's van recessed some panels and forever had issues with leaking.

I painted the frame of my panel the same color as my white roof. Most people don't bother looking up anyway.

People on this forum will always know a camped in/from van when they see one.

Regularly trained consumer monkey joes/janes might not ever look up from their phones long enough to notice anything.

I saw one solar set up where there was black painted rounded triangles before and after the panels so the rectangular shape of the panels was not an instant dead giveaway. The blackish leading and trailing rounded edges somewhat obscured the fact that there was some 250+ watts on the roof.

DLTooley said:
How stealthy do you need to be?  A roof rack would help and with creativity could be near perfect.

One example.

Attachments

• Van solar 1.jpg
    Van solar 1.jpg
    107.3 KB
  • van solar 2.jpg
    van solar 2.jpg
    209.4 KB
  • van solar 3.jpg
    van solar 3.jpg
    146.2 KB
Most people will just see the solar panel and not look twice at it. They will probably just think it's a roof rack. I agree with HDR that stealth is over rated. The people who know what that you are stealth camping really don't care and the ones that might say something don't notice you. Keep you van in good shape. Don't let it look like a derelict van that is one step from the junk yard. Don't set up you BBQ at walmart. Those are the things that get noticed. I would just try to get the best solar setup that I could.

I have a high roof van so it helps at concealing my pane. I have one large 315 watt panel and I made a frame of 8020 aluminum extrusion to hold it. The frame is a rectangle that fits the panel pretty closely but it also makes it hard to see the panel. From the side most people think it is just part of a roof rack. I'm not sure if it would give the same effect on a low roof or not.

For me having just one larger panel I think gives a much cleaner look to it. I need to get my pictures onto the compute so I can add them to my posts.

Before I knew about van dwelling, I would have thought it was someone who installed solar, similar to seeing a truck with large glass panels on the side.

AmieW said:
Before I knew about van dwelling, I would have thought it was someone who installed solar, similar to seeing a truck with large glass panels on the side.

Last year while passing through one of the gated entrances to Pebble Beach, the security guard asked me if I installed solar...  to which I replied, somewhat confused, "Uh, no...  Why do you ask?"  He said it was because every time he saw me I had a solar panel "strapped" to my roof rack.  :p

GotSmart said:
One example.
Your van? Two 100 watt panels? I like the installation. I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a fairing at the leading edge.

With just a little more work I can put three panels.  The round front bar on the rack creates a wind faring without mounting more pieces to make the casual passer by think it is anything but a ladder rack. 

So far 200W is more than I need.   :D

GotSmart said:
The round front bar on the rack creates a wind faring without mounting more pieces to make the casual passer by think it is anything but a ladder rack. 

So far 200W is more than I need.   :D
I would be worried about air getting under the panels pushing them upwards at freeway speeds, and that's why I mentioned a fairing.
 Two panels are what I have also, just haven't installed them. I do like the looks of yours, and plan something similar.

I don't think stealth is fooling anyone but the person who thinks they're being stealthy. The general public is VERY unaware of their surroundings. If it didn't happen on their phone or facebook, it probably didn't happen to them. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of the population didn't even know some people do in fact live/sleep in vehicles.

The only stealth anyone needs to worry about IMO is keeping a clean and presentable vehicle and not setting up camp outside of it where it's not warranted.

The only reason I care about stealth is because of where I'll be the majority of the time... the vandweller crackdown capital of the west coast -- San Francisco down to San Jose. Do you guys think that it's also overrated there?

protryon said:
The vandweller crackdown capital of the west coast -- San Francisco down to San Jose. 
I would have thought just the opposite? What happened to all that love and peace?

As the rents wnt up, the love went out the door.