Stealthing Solar Panels: Has Anyone Recessed or Raised Their Roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Product Innovation and practical solutions are so hard to find for a reasonable price in the US.

In the UK, Aus and other Euro places framing kits that fit around the panels at different depths abound.  Some are paintable to match the vehicle color and variable lengths.  May have to purchase multiple pieces depending on kit configuration.

Here is a sample of Solar Panel Mounting Bracket & Frame Set on Ebay UK and Amazon Germany
https://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/mbQXfSwgD-h0QXCKrT8zRMA/s-l225.jpg - s-l225.jpg
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01NBO9UDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_tWUszbZNA2Q3M - SolarFraming.jpg

Installed properly, at a short distance they provide a much cleaner less obvious look that appears as a matching raised area on your roof unless someone is well above your roofline.

Just a suggestion...

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    5.1 KB
  • SolarFraming.jpg
    SolarFraming.jpg
    42.7 KB
Yes unfortunately all the developed world outside the US will be passing us for years to come in using alternative energy at the grass roots level.

Fortunately China will also be making innovations available to us at reasonable pricing.

protryon said:
The only reason I care about stealth is because of where I'll be the majority of the time... the vandweller crackdown capital of the west coast -- San Francisco down to San Jose. Do you guys think that it's also overrated there?

I agree with others about stealth being over-valued by the person endeavoring to be stealthy.

City-wide surveillance has quietly crept into existence. Most surveillance cameras are up high. So as was mentioned in a previous comment, I think that anyone who knows what to look for, and has an interest in looking, isn't going to be fooled by a recessed solar panel installation. If the looker has access to surveillance cameras, it's a few clicks away from a somewhat bird's-eye view of your van, which negates any presumed appearance of stealth from ground-level inconspicuousness.

That's not to say that you shouldn't do it if you want to. Just don't be fooled into thinking that you might be less noticeable to those who want or need to notice :)

Here's just one of many accounts to consider: Nowhere To Hide: Few Public Places Without Surveillance Cameras In San Francisco - September 24, 2015.