BYOS(hade)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of spacing them up an inch with a donut, but sounds like the panels mount on the sides and not screwed down from the top (how my small panel mounts).
-crofter

I like this setup, but is an aluminum welded construction and guess what I do not own a welder. -c

"is plywood still the best material to provide full shade"

I don't think plywood was ever the "best" material. Sheet aluminum would get my vote but it's expensive.

Highdesertranger

The solar panels if you cover the whole roof supply the shade and with 4” of air circulation I don’t see any advantage of using a sheet of plywood as heat goes up. The less weight you put on the roof the better in my opinion. Once you are parked some type of shade netting or even reflex over exposed portions of the roof and windows should be plenty to reduce the absorbed heat. Make an extension on the roof rack and drape a roll of reflex over the windshield and door windows which will allow air to circulate under neath and you will still be at ambient air temps inside the van most likely. Shade helps but it can only do so much.

Latest posts