Stealth?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowanFae

Reaction score
well, I'm officially - without residence.  Sort of. I'm visiting my son, grandkids etc and staying with them a few weeks. 

Currently I'm struggling. Emotionally. The idea of living free was one thing. Now I'm sitting here thinking, holy crap. I'm homeless!  Then, being with my family, I find myself falling back into taking on familial responsibilities (for grown kids) and feeling guilty for choosing to "do my own thing," rather than help everyone out and fixing  things.  To top it off, I had a flare up, (I have Lupus) and my wonderful visit with my family before I rode off into the sunset; that I had in mind, isn't really living up to expectations.  Also, a friend in Missouri wants me to basically move in and house/dog sit while he's working as a chef in Texas.  People keep needing me, and I keep needing Nature Therapy.

Oops, wow. The real topic of this thread is stealth. Now that I have all that stuff off my chest, I'll get on topic.

My plan, live out of my car while I save for a van.  The first of the month I'll be purchasing a roof cargo carrier.  I'm also having a Reese hitch installed so I can attach a small cargo carrier for water and propane. Keep in mind I will also have my bike on a rack. My poor car is going to look ridiculous:(

My concern; all that exterior camping stuff is probably going to make "stealth camping" in places like Walmart an issue   Yes? No? Has anyone else faced similar issues?  

My other concern is, do I live out of my car until I save enough to get into a newer van?
Should I get an inexpensive van as quickly as possible and work my way into a newer van?
As a single woman traveling alone, with little to no mechanical skills, I worry about buying an inexpensive vehicle that may need a lot of maintenance. I've come across quite a few bargains for under $2,000.

I love camping, so I'm ok with living out of my car, but I do have my downtimes when the rigors of setting up and breaking camp every two weeks might become an issue.  So, being in a van sooner than later could make a huge difference in my quality of life. When I'm feeling good, no worries. During flare ups, different story.

I have made the decision that come mid-fall I am heading Southwest before winter. Van or no van. Also, I think I may have more options with less rust out west. 

Anyway, I'm probably over-thinking everything.  Yes? No? Maybe?

I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems like you haven't really thought this through. My first concern would be your getting your stuff stolen. The minute you step away from your car, that bicycle is history, and if you're gone long enough, so is everything else. The propane tank will go right after the bicycle. I've watched videos and read blogs where newbie van dwellers had everything stolen off the outside of their van while they shopped for groceries.

I'd stay where you are until you can afford the best van you can get. A mini van will do; that's what I'm getting. If you can tolerate the way you're living for a year, so you can save some money, do it. I wanted to get out of here this year, but life happened, and I had to wait another year. I'm planning on next July, but who knows? I might not be able to go even then.

You're not homeless if you have people who love you who are willing to take you in. I don't even have that, so count your blessings and take your time. Another year isn't going to kill your dream.

Please also be careful strapping too much weight onto the back of a car, especially if it's a front wheel drive (the weight lifts the front wheels up and those are what steers the car!)

Deb A, thank you for replying. A little harsh is ok :) and the concern is appreciated.

I do have a lock, that locks my bike onto the frame of the bike rack, although I seldom use it. I've carried a bike on the back of my car pretty much all the time for the last 4 years. From Michigan to Tennessee and back. I've probably just been crazy lucky, but so far no one has stolen my bikes. Definitely keeping that in mind in the future.

My idea was to keep the inside of my vehicle as uncluttered as possible. It probably is unrealistic to expect to store things outside my vehicle and not have them stolen. I've considered removing passenger seat and rear seat, but I like being able to pick up and take my grandkids places. Everything is a trade off.

Staying where I am, and saving money, isn't an option.

DrJean said:
Please also be careful strapping too much weight onto the back of a car, especially if it's a front wheel drive (the weight lifts the front wheels up and those are what steers the car!)

I didn't know that!  Thank you.

You enjoy camping, so just go camping. Several times in a row if you like.
If you can make due for the time being that is the most economical. Maybe even buy a small tent.
House sitting seems to be a pretty sweet gig as long as they are not charging you for utilities and such. You can add to your savngs.

DannyB1954 said:
You enjoy camping, so just go camping. Several times in a row if you like.
If you can make due for the time being that is the most economical. Maybe even buy a small tent.
House sitting seems to be a pretty sweet gig as long as they are not charging you for utilities and such. You can add to your savngs.

That is my plan. To do some dispersed camping in the State and National Forests here in Michigan. Close enough to family that I can camp 2 to 4 weeks at a time and then come visit, but not stay so long they want to start charging me rent.

If I live frugally for a few months, I can save a few thousand dollars for a van.

Getting the timing right with family is important. I'd find public land spots that aren't too far of a drive, but if you aren't doing it that often you can go further.

3-4k should be a good goal for a vehicle - but shop around. I'd consider a cargo van as well as a mini-van. Maintenance records, especially transmission, are a big plus. When purchasing private party you get the chance to talk face to face with the original owner. That is a big plus. Spend the time to shop around and you know when you find the right vehicle.

You mentioned Walmart and stealth. I think Walmart welcomes overnighters if you don't over do it. RV's, campers etc. I pull a nice little camper and have no problem in a Walmart parking as long as I am smart about it.

captain said:
You mentioned Walmart and stealth. I think Walmart welcomes overnighters if you don't over do it. RV's, campers etc. I pull a nice little camper and have no problem in a Walmart parking as long as I am smart about it.

Some Walmarts are RV friendly. I stayed in one two nights ago. Even though there were 6-8 RVs in the lot I went in an asked for a manager and asked permission. He was very happy that I asked. However, not everyone follows the ethics of boondocking in places like Walmart. That night there was one of those RVs that had a LOUD generator running ALL NIGHT! I finally got used to it and fell asleep, but you could actually feel the vibration in the bed. I showed up at 9P and thought by 10P it would be done. Imagine my surprise when it didn't stop until 15 minutes before they pulled away the next day! Don't be like that guy!

Currently I am parked at the Cabela's next door to that Walmart. This is the second day, though I did leave and come back. I see a few people that were at the Walmart here now. I don't think they appreciated the generator either.

The more time you have to prepare to move into a van (or car) the better the experience will be. And the better chance of success you will have. With that said I also realize that some people are forced into this lifestyle a lot sooner then they would like it to happen.

If you can stay for free at a friends and house/dog sit. That could be a great opportunity to save a little money and take more time to prepare. There are lots of variables in what kind of van you choose. You could get into a mini van a lot cheaper then say a regular cargo van. With  a mini van you would easily be able to set up a bed and other essentials which would make stealth camping much easier.

I would try to look at all of your options. You already like to camp so moving into a car or van will probably not be too difficult. You could also do the house sitting thing now and take longer trips to try things out with what you have. It will give you better idea on what you really need versus what you think you need.

As far as stealth goes. It's not so much being not seen as it is being not remembered. If your car/van looks clean and presentable and fits in with the other cars in your surroundings you can go unnoticed. This is where any kind of van is a big advantage. You can fit more things inside and still be organized. But from the outside it looks like every other van on the road. And  a mini van looks like every other family van on the street an nobody will look at it twice.