Stealth city life: Good idea to paint a fake contractor logo on the side of your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"blended in really well most people would never notice"

key word "most"

thing is if you drive a clean rig and don't cause problems, most people don't notice you anyway.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"blended in really well most people would never notice"
key word "most"
thing is if you drive a clean rig and don't cause problems,  most people don't notice you anyway.
highdesertranger

From Men In Black, a most excellent documentary.

Zed: "Edwards, lets put it on. The last suit you'll ever wear. You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by MIB special services. You will conform to the identity we give you, eat where we tell you, live where we tell you. From now on you'll have no identifying marks of any kind. You will not stand out in any way. your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anybody you encounter. You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence, your native tongue. You are no longer part of a system. You are above the system. over it. Beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men In Black."

J: "I make this look good."

I drive commercial box trucks around the country....ANY law enforcement officer can stop you at any time to check commercial registrations AND required health certificate AND manifest ….ESPECIALLY in a rental truck ….Most of my driving is in PENSKE class B trucks
I did show up at the van build in a PENSKE sprinter van one year ( We had a small trade show job in Las Vegas )

You want to be invisible in any residential neighborhood drive a minivan. No signage on the door needed.

If you are stuck in a city, it would seem that a minivan would be the ideal solution. They are dime-a-dozen, and so common place, that no-one would question a Dodge Caravan, or a Honda Odyssey parked on a residential street. The secret is to not give away your position by having solar on the roof, making noise, allowing inside light to escape, or be seen entering/exiting.   If you think you can live like that, go for it, but I would much rather park in a factory parking lot, or industrial park where less prying eyes are watching.

Perhaps sometimes you can get away with parking in a factory lot or industrial park. But a lot of times the cars that park there are required to have a sticker in their window that shows they are authorized to be there. In addition many of those places have a security company that regularly patrols the area around the business even at night time. Fewer prying eyes, yes, but the ones that are around are most likely to be private security, police or prowlers. Which means you are much more likely to be spotted as not belonging there or get hit by a prowler looking to break in.

I am in a business.industrial parking lot at the moment working on my build. Just came back to a note on my door from a neighbor who gets here from his swing shift job as a private security guard saying he chased away some prowlers that were walking around. They were out here in an old brown and tan van at 1:30 am on New Year's Eve. They were outside prowling around in the parking lot looking for opportunities to break in. Do not fool yourself into thinking you are safe when parking in an industrial area, you are just as vulnerable there as elsewhere.

ckelly78z said:
The secret is to not give away your position by having solar on the roof,

I have a mini-van with solar.  People have asked me if the MaxxAir fan is an air conditioner but nobody has mentioned the solar panel.  It is only 100 watt, not a huge residential panel wider than the roof.