State Parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vantexan

Reaction score
I was looking at annual passes for state parks of various states and got to thinking about possible strategies. For example Utah has a $75 annual day use pass. Some state parks in Utah are fairly close to major towns. One is 3 miles outside of St.George, for example, and provides restrooms and showers. I'm a night owl anyways, am thinking I could sleep during the day in the parking lot, get cleaned up and go into town where I could eat, shop, go the library, go to Walmart, surf the 'net. Could move every so often to another area of Utah. The next year might try another state with a similar deal. Anyone see a flaw in this? I'm assuming that having the day use pass gives me a right to be there, and as long as I maintain privacy and do nothing illegal there shouldn't be a problem. Any opinions on this appreciated.

Sounds like a lot of moving around. Moving around costs money. If you've got the cash to burn it could work for you. I like to stay in one place.If I am not moving, I am not spending.

Why visit an area if i can't enjoy the attractions of the area? The difference between surviving vs. living.

I think it'd be hard to sleep in a general use lot at a state park, noisy with people in and out. Plus it'd be pretty hot daytime in a place like St George during much of the year wouldn't it?

Being a city lover, I won't be doing much rural camping unless I just feel like getting away from the city for a few days to a week. Due to my budget vs my van's mpg, I can't afford to drive constantly really. If I were to drive between walmarts (like, 20-40 miles) and not ever pay RV park rent then I guess I could swing it but that's a pain in the butt, I'd have to find a dump station eventually, and I'd need at least a fair solar system for at least recharging the batteries from lights/water pump use) and all you ever get to see is Walmart. Trying to find all day parking for a 20ft van with a trailer in many large cities can also be hard, not to mention the constant driving of it. It would also consume more propane to keep the fridge going unless it's run from 12v, then I'd need an even better solar system. (3 way fridge so it gives me options at least).<br><br>I do want to get at least one 100w solar panel but I may not be able to start out with one... gotta wait and see in the next few months.<br><br>I am going to drive between major cities, find an affordable monthly RV park and rent a space for a month. My scooter will provide my everyday transportation at much lower costs with easier parking. If need be, I can go stock up on groceries once a week by taking the van but generally I can carry a good little bit on the scooter in the storage compartment and in a backpack.

No idea about the parks out west, but where I am at the parks often close early during the week, so you might want to check that out because here during the week when not busy there only open like 9 to 5. &nbsp;On weekends they are open later, but are often busy and hence noisy.<br><br>Nonetheless, state parks are often really nice, and a good place to hang out and enjoy.

I was using St. George as an example, but good thing about Utah is that they have higher elevation areas to visit in the summer. Texas has a similar deal but Texas state parks tend to be more away from population areas. Utah has quite a few parks near population centers. Planning to use a Prius V, can run air conditioner while sleeping, which should mitigate alot of outside noise. The Prius as you know is pretty economical. I'm thinking staying in an area a few weeks, then moving on, staying longer if it works well. Shouldn't burn more than a few gallons moving on. Y'all are probably familiar with free camping websites that list places that are free or very cheap. Quite a few towns on the plains that offer 3 free days with hookups to get people to stop to spend money in their town. Don't know if car campers are allowed as opposed to RVers but worth trying.

Another option I'm considering is camping fulltime on some cheap land near Terlingua, Tx. I'd take off for a high elevation area in the summer. Problem is that it's so remote that to get groceries, etc would do alot of driving anyways. And probably more there than with the state parks idea, with very limited options. I love the Big Bend region but I also like going to the movies and bookstores.

Thanks for the opinions, didn't know about the possibility of limited hours. I really want to travel for retirement, but as affordably as possible. If it costs too much may move to Central America but think I can do this for less than $1000 a month.

That's about my budget too.<br><br>If you are senior or disabled, look into the "America The Beautiful" pass for federal parks:<br>http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm<br>If you are disabled, it's free. If you are a senior, it's $10 for a lifetime discount card. Pays for itself in one night typically.<br><br>I made a page a few years ago outlining the discounts available for the disabled at the state park level. Most states you can't get such a discount or you must be a resident of that state. The info might be slightly outdated but I bet it's still correct for the most part.<br><br>http://cubey.illiop.com/rv/disabled_discounts.shtml