Starting conversion on Ram ProMaster 2500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathyLee

Reaction score
I just bought a Ram ProMaster 2500.  I currently live in Indiana and will be retiring soon and hitting the road this November. I am disabled and will be traveling with my service dog. I know it's best to build the basics and as you go customize to one's needs.  In order to get me started - does anyone know of reputable individuals or a company that can help or advise me regarding the initial conversion of my van?  Thanks in advance  :)

Hi Kathy, I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m just south of you in Kentucky. I’m outside of a little town named Beaver Dam. If you get thru this way give me a shout. I’ll be here until winter.

I’m no expert on the subject of a van build but I plan on getting my ProMaster this time next year and doing the work myself. I do have some construction skills with basic knowledge of plumbing and electrical so I’m a little ahead in that respect.

I can tell you that YouTube is a great place to check out what others have done. It’s also a great place to get the links to certain equipment that they recommend for the build.

The first thing I did was write down everything I considered to be a must have for the build... working sink, comfortable bed, plenty of storage, etc.

Then, comes the task of writing down all that you can’t part with that you want to take with you, and all the equipment you will have to get that also must come along.

The build will ultimately have to suit the above determinations so a lot of measuring and sketching how it will all fit together is a good idea before you build anything. I’ve gone through a lot of printer paper in the past several months doing just that. I sketch then actually try to find a problem with it. Then solve that problem with a new sketch. And if I can’t find a problem, I try to look for an improvement and so on.

There are some things that I’m also doing aside from build planning.
I’m getting rid of everything that is not on my “must have” list. It’s hard to sell things you love. I actually find it much easier to give those things away to someone who really will enjoy/appreciate the gift. The rest that I’m not attached to, I’m trying to sell off for cash towards my build.

Getting as debt free as possible and insuring that I have an emergency fund is one of my priorities, too. In addition, Im preparing a budget for travel expenses, food, rig maintenance, health insurance ..ect.

I’m hoping that I plan ahead for everything but from what I understand there will be things that come up that are never foreseen. It’s just how it goes. You learn as you go.

I’m looking forward to all of it.

Cammalu said:
Hi Kathy, I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m just south of you in Kentucky. I’m outside of a little town named Beaver Dam. If you get thru this way give me a shout. I’ll be here until winter.

And I’m south east in SC.

Thanks for your input :) I'm in the process of selling my home and minimizing everything (moving sale today).  I have the ProMaster in my driveway ready to start the process as I get to my retirement date.  Just wondering if there is  anyone in my neck of the woods that I can contact if need be.  If not...it will get it done :)