I just put a down payment down

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wart

Reaction score
So, I just put a 1000$ deposit on delivery of a brand new Dodge Ram Promaster 2500 159” wb hight roof.

I don’t know what I’m doing.

I have a cat that I’m taking with me. This cat is non-negotiable. The cat is coming, period.

I also have a sleeping bag…and like some boxes of books.

That’s all I got. That’s it. That’s my starting kit.

I’m retired and I’m gonna be making like 800$ payments on this van and probably squeaking by what with the price of gas.

I could use some words of encouragement because I don’t know what I’m doing.

welcome to the forum. it sounds like a wonderful start and i'm sure you will pick up what information you need here on this site!
good luck on your adventures :) jim

You did the most important thing first - You took action. major kudos, Lots of people suffer from "woulda coulda shoulda" Here's where to get help for the rest of it. 1 Check out Bob Wells videos on "no build" builds to create a comfortable living environment in your van 2. Throw yourself on the mercy of the van community; forums, HOWA caravans, Facebook groups, etc - don't be too proud to ask for help, but try to be specific in what you ask for and be generous in return 3. get your finances straight - emergency reserve, credit lines, maintaining current income, budgeting So you minimize surprises 4 commit your mindset (Like the Navy Seals) to "work the problem" - applied persistence will pay off to resolve whatever you need to conquer

Don't feel like you need to run out and buy everything right now. Wait until the van gets here. Use what you have first. If you can, go out and spend some time camping while waiting for the van to arrive.

Get your cat carrier and leash trained so you can safely travel with it. Pets do fine but require a responsible owner to train them to do it without injury.

I didn't know what I was doing either in the beginning. For example, I put up walls without wood slats behind them, then had no idea where to drill in screws since I couldn't see where the metal frame pieces were.

And I was using wood screws into the metal, drilling a hole first and then having trouble with screws either being to large for the hole and snapping off, or too small and slipping out. It was a wise man at the hardware store who introduced me to self-tapping screws with hex heads. That was such an amazing improvement. Those screws quickly drill their own holes and then hold to them snuggly and perfectly. And the hex head is so very much more secure in your drill than regular + or = screwdriver bits. Of course, get a hex bit to fit your hex screws!

My best piece of advice to you is to live in your van for a couple of weeks before traveling away anywhere, to find out what you really need, and what you really like. Don't make anything too permanent during that time, so you can easily switch things around when you discover a better way (which you will. I did four times).

Welcome to the forum and if you have any questions.... just ask.

welcome & Congratulations on new Home.
keebler in Va.

Welcome! That high roof should make you a very comfortable man. One piece of advice I see here is don't use an air mattress under your sleeping bag because you'll be colder.

So, I just put a 1000$ deposit on delivery of a brand new Dodge Ram Promaster 2500 159” wb hight roof.

I have a cat that I’m taking with me. This cat is non-negotiable. The cat is coming, period.

I also have a sleeping bag…and like some boxes of books.

That’s all I got. That’s it. That’s my starting kit.

I’m retired and I’m gonna be making like 800$ payments on this van and probably squeaking by what with the price of gas.

I could use some words of encouragement because I don’t know what I’m doing.
How much was the asking price?

re -- "I don't know what I am doing"
My take:
* I know slightly more than yesterday about what I am doing.
Experience is a good teacher, other people's experience is a great teacher.
a)
If I was me, I would plead insanity.
I would plead incompetence, anything to get my deposit returned.
I would cry and rend my clothes and make a scene and threaten congressional action.
Drooling optional.
If the sellers refuse to return my deposit, I would walk away.
Based on the information you provided, you are acquiring a -- at minimum --us$50,000+ light-duty (very light-duty) van.
And you are buried for most of the next decade making strangulating payments on a depreciating liability.
CenWaudrey, that is way outside my comfort zone.
b)
Based on the information you provided, I get the impression camping and full-time live-aboard are new to you, hence the "... don't know what I am doing...".
Would you mind if I offered a suggestion?
This would be based on my experience...
If I was me, I would:
* get the oldest beat-half-to-death van or truck-camper to gain some experience
* join a caravan of experienced travelers to gain some experience
* stroll a RecreateVehicles park/resort and chat with folks about their recommendations about vehicle needs... and learn from their experience.
If I was me, I would read blogs by travelers with a new Ram Promaster 2500 hight roof.
I would pay particular attention to tales of warranty delays and parts non-existence.
About four years ago, we were SCUBA diving and surfing in Central America.
Of the probably twenty Sprinter-type vans in the neighborhood -- operated by first-time campers -- three-quarters were down for major repairs...
...as in 'replace the whole dang engine'...
...shipped over from Arizona or Florida.
I admit it.
Stranded in the sticks -- Minneapolis, Baltimore, Detroit, Trashville, Memphis -- terrorfies me.
My suggestion:
* Get your deposit returned, or abandon it.
* Get a beater, toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
The thought of squeaking-by, buried in payments... you might as well be talking chinese.
To me, that is incomprehensible.
A couple months ago, I met a retired fed while we were doing laundry.
She was stuck in town, waiting for her appointment at the Mercedes Benz dealership to replace a sensor and clear a coding issue.
At that point, she was five weeks into waiting.
Until the sensor was replaced, her beautiful new Sprinter-type conversion was limp-limited to fifteen (15) mph for fifteen (15) minutes, then the on-board computer initiated a cooling-down stop.
Last we heard, she had it towed a hundred miles to another Mercedes Benz dealership, because their wait was shorter.
That was after waiting here for five weeks.
Incomprehensible.

While an $800/month vehicle payment might be an issue for some, I don’t know what your monthly income is so am not going to go into that.

I do want to address the Sprinter van concerns raised here, and say that I am on my second in 15 years with about 250,000 miles between them.

Maintained and taken care of, they are reliable workhorses, and there are at least a couple of large, online communities out there who will say the same.

The problem with buying an older vehicle and traveling in it is the repairs and breakdowns, wherever you happen to be.

If you are determined to do this and can handle the payment, take your new vehicle and go.

Get a work camping gig of some sort to bump your income up, and pay that sucker off as quickly as you can.

Last edited:
I want to add to this that there is an idea out there that vehicles with MB engines must be serviced at an MB dealership, which is not the case.
I was waiting in line at a dealership to get my Jeep serviced. They had a switchboard behind the counter for their various brands. It was a running joke when anyone called in trying to get a Mercedes’ serviced. The delay in getting parts and service updates make non M shops turn customers away.

Well, that has not been my experience with two vehicles over the last 15 years.

The only persistent issue with both vehicles has been that deplorable turbo-resonator, the after market part which is plastic, last about 18 months and then cracks.

I purchased an aluminum one this spring, on the recommendation of another owner, and my regular service guys installed it for me.

There are thousand of we longtime, happy owners out there, getting 20+ mpg.

The OP has a Dodge so any detailed talk about the pros and cons of Sprinters seem off-topic and not very helpful unless it is known for a fact the two makes have the exact same problems.

It is a bit off topic, but I and thousands of others have Dodge Sprinters with MB Diesel engines.

The anti Sprinter folks seem to paint with a very broad brush, and I then feel a need to defend these vehicles. 😐

And having had the need for service thousands of miles from home, I feel strongly that people determined to do this should have the best and most reliable vehicle they can afford.

The OP has purchased a Ram Promaster, not a Sprinter. Different vehicles entirely.

To the OP: WOW! Good luck with this!

You might want to start by watching a ton of youtube videos on Ram Promaster conversions and van living.