I just put a down payment down

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I just put a 1000$ deposit on delivery of a brand new Dodge Ram Promaster 2500 159” wb hight roof.

I’m retired and I’m gonna be making like 800$ payments on this van and probably squeaking by what with the price of gas.
It sounds great! (y)... except the barely squeaking by part.

It'd be a good idea to do a thorough evaluation of your finances and expenses. Lay it all out, ask for feedback from members here on what things really cost, etc. Being on the edge of financial disaster would add a lot of stress I think, and nobody needs that. There are plenty of viable alternatives to a $800/mo van payment. It's definitely tough times for getting an inexpensive vehicle, though.

I bought stuff I knew I needed and replaced or never used some. When you buy a roof fan don't be a tight arse, buy a max fan. It is my third fan and worth every cent. My favorite purchase after 15 months of living in the van was a DC to DC charger, I have a 40 amp which always keeps me topped up. Listen to advice but always adapt it to your needs, the best or most expensive isn't always the best for you.

So wondering, if a 1000.00 down and 800.00 per month, is this for an empty cargo Ram or a Ram Camper? (Example: 90,000.00 Ram Camper with an RV loan of 180 months could be under 800.00 per mo) I noticed you didn't mention. For 800.00 per month, I highly recommend getting something newer that is built out (Turn Key camper) unless you are very handy and can build your camper yourself. The fact that you indicate 800.00 is a stretch and you have nothing more then a cat, books and a sleeping bag doesn't add up. You must have a great job if they are loaning you enough for a new van.

There are advantages to buying a new vehicle but of course it has to fit into the buyers budget. Even buying an old beat used van can place a persons budget in jeopardy. Nothing like thinking you are saving money to find out the suspension is shot, needs a near rear main seal and a rod replacement, tranny is slipping and so on. All of the sudden the new van doesn't look so bad. We always purchase as new as possible with the least amount of miles that is within the budget.

re -- similar yet different
Oops!
My mistake.
We saw all those basket-case 'Sprinter-type' vans in Central America, and lumped together the Benz products with the Fiat products.
That was years ago, and we were too busy doing other activities with our group to get closer.
I should learn to differentiate between similar rigs... my research just now indicates the later models have different everything.
My apologies!
An aside:
* "Staples into particle-board.
* Holes in the roof.
* Swoopy decals.
* The 'up-graded' wine-chiller in the 'entertaining-center'.
" The second big-screen outside for patio viewing."
I can get single-minded in my pursuit of simplicity and resilience.
Fortunately, that would be my only personality flaw... [editor note -- not even close there, sparky]

Well, I’m still waiting, thought I would post an update

First, to everyone that expressed concern about me, I know you mean well, so thank you. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Second “I don’t know what I’m doing” may have been a bit of an embellishment on my part.

As of right now, due to shipping delays, my beautiful van is at the port in mexico still. STILL 😆 (someone asked; it’s a cargo van and has no build yet, I’m a very minimalist person so I felt it best to start that way. Yes it would have been probably half that payment amount if I’d chosen an RV van, but it would also have been four times the loan term, so I chose the higher monthly payment. It’s got a couple of packages on it that drove the price up, like cameras and such, but I wanted those. All in all it’s going to be a nice vehicle)

I’ve just made the first payment, yes it’s not a sprinter, it’s a promaster 2500, and the second will probably also have been made before I take delivery finally. That’s ok. I wanted a new vehicle, and honestly this has been, I’ve learned, actually the QUICKEST way of getting one. I didn’t order mine, it was already ordered by the dealership, if I’d had to order it, which, I would have regardless of which make I chose, it would have been minimum 6 months to a year WITHOUT the shipping delays.

I will be saving while van living, in order to buy land, I’m in the Northern Virginia area, first to park and use as an address and ultimately to buy a tiny home to place on. That’s my EVENTUAL endgame for van life.

Again, thanks for the concern and the well-wishes, I hope to join you all on the road soon!

Last edited:
Welcome, wart, I'm in northern VA also. There is a ton of info on this site, dig in!

I am confused. You have made the first loan payment and are about to make a second payment and you have not received the van yet? Can you explain as I have never bought a vehicle and made a loan payment without first seeing the vehicle and taking possession. A family member went looking for a new Promaster in June and drove one home from the dealership the same day. Is it that you special ordered yours?

I am confused. You have made the first loan payment and are about to make a second payment and you have not received the van yet? Can you explain as I have never bought a vehicle and made a loan payment without first seeing the vehicle and taking possession. A family member went looking for a new Promaster in June and drove one home from the dealership the same day. Is it that you special ordered yours?
Well, in my area, no dealerships have cargo vans.

When I went in they had two coming to the dealership that had not been manufactured yet, and offered me one, and I got financing through my bank, not the dealership. So basically I have a check to give them for the full amount when my War Wagon arrives but I’m already making payments on the loan because it’s already been finalized.

wishing you the best, Hope it arrives soon.
keebler in richmond,va area.

Car, van, pickup, and RV buying these days is not the same as it was 10 or 5 or even 2 years ago.

In certain areas, the market is VERY tight. I know this because I live in a rural area where the inventory is very limited and if I want something that might be somewhat unusual, I will probably have to travel hundreds of miles to a dealership that has what I want, or take a chance on a special order or a dealer-to-dealer inventory transfer.

I keep an eye on the market, and often look at local inventory and compare that to inventory in larger metro areas and it is interesting to see local dealers add a 'market adjustment' (sometimes +$5000!) to the MSRP for a vehicle that they only have one or two of, and a dealership 1200 miles away has 8 of the exact same units in stock and has them marked way below MSRP.

As in real estate, it's 'Location, Location, Location'.

Well, in my area, no dealerships have cargo vans.

When I went in they had two coming to the dealership that had not been manufactured yet, and offered me one, and I got financing through my bank, not the dealership. So basically I have a check to give them for the full amount when my War Wagon arrives but I’m already making payments on the loan because it’s already been finalized.
Oh Ok now I understand. I know when I purchased vehicles through the bank or credit union, I still didn't make a payment till about 30 days after taking delivery of the vehicle. Usually a bank won't loan on a vehicle without a VIN unless your loan wasn't based on the vehicle itself.

There's a dealer out west that keeps a huge selection of late model high-top vans in stock for immediate sale.

Last edited:
Oh Ok now I understand. I know when I purchased vehicles through the bank or credit union, I still didn't make a payment till about 30 days after taking delivery of the vehicle. Usually a bank won't loan on a vehicle without a VIN unless your loan wasn't based on the vehicle itself.
Well I do actually have a VIN, I know the exact vehicle I’m getting and it exists…it just exists at the port in mexico waiting for a ship lol

IT’S HERE!

My van arrived on Saturday, I picked it up on Monday, and it’s beautiful, and it’s super fun to drive. I’ll be throwing my things in it tomorrow and setting off tomorrow night.
Lucky You!
I've still got a lot of little things to take care of before I'm ready to "set sail" in my sweet old van. It will be about May 1st after winter before I can "cut the ropes".

Then I'm heading out of hot-dry-flat Texas, and watching the horizon for those beautiful Rocky Mountains, and later the North Cascades of Washington State.
It's hard to wait!

Bon voyage, Wart! :D