Source for low-sodium rotisserie chicken?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
I enjoy occasionally buying rotisserie chicken in supermarkets, but I am on a low-sodium diet. 

Can anyone suggest places to buy low-sodium chicken in the western states? I know the Basha's chain sells them, but Bashas are hard to find outside of Arizona. Walmart is no good as their rotisserie chickens contain horrendous amounts of salt.

make your own. that is my favorite way to have chicken, but for some reason I never cared for the super market ones. highdesertranger

I don't know how strict your low-sodium diet is, but it seems to me an occasional high-sodium chicken wouldn't do too much damage.

Just remove the skin. That's where most of the sodium is. I highly doubt you will find a low sodium pre-cooked rotisserie chicken.

Thanks for your comments. As HDR points out, I could cook my own, but buying pre-cooked chicken is just so convenient.

As to Day Dreamer's comment about removing the skin to reduce salt content, this is a valid point, but a lot of the flavor is in the skin. As to the unlikelihood of finding low-sodium rotisserie chicken, Basha cooks them this way & I imagine other supermarkets do too, if I can just discover who they are...

If nothing else, maybe buy the higher sodium chicken you find and eat it with some high potassium foods. Not ideal, just spit balling. If you have health issues, read up on or ask your doctor about potassium.

Edit: spell check correction...

unfortunately while removing the skin is the way to get rid of sodium for home cooked chicken that is not the same situation for the store bought rotisserie birds. Those birds are injected with water that has sodium in it. They inject the fluid to keep the birds from drying out while roasting. It also makes them "plump" looking and appealing.

I am also on a low sodium diet due to CHF. I occasionally splurge on a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Where you can eliminate some of the sodium, is removing the seasoned skin from the chicken, and cutting back on gravy to use real butter.

I also find that I prefer ground black pepper, and other seasonings more than salt. If you do need salt, use pink sea salt, it has less sodium, and probably tastes better.

VanForNow said:
Thanks for your comments. As HDR points out, I could cook my own, but buying pre-cooked chicken is just so convenient.

As to Day Dreamer's comment about removing the skin to reduce salt content, this is a valid point, but a lot of the flavor is in the skin. As to the unlikelihood of finding low-sodium rotisserie chicken, Basha cooks them this way & I imagine other supermarkets do too, if I can just discover who they are...

I know, I could eat a bowl of crispy skins alone. LOL

Sometimes you can't eat what you want. I would rather have skinless rotisserie than none at all. I would add something else for flavor like a sauce or spices.

maki2 said:
unfortunately while removing the skin is the way to get rid of sodium for home cooked chicken that is not the same situation for the store bought rotisserie birds. Those birds are injected with water that has sodium in it. They inject the fluid to keep the birds from drying out while roasting. It also makes them "plump" looking and appealing.

Good point. They do that to most uncooked ones as well. If the cooked ones are injected twice.....double whammy!!

I looked through some websites comparison list for rotisserie chicken from various grocery stores. There is no such thing as low sodium rotisserie chicken in any grocery store chain that I saw and all the major players and even the minor players were listed.

If you can't have a lot of sodium you will need to cook your own from fresh chicken, but not from the frozen chicken parts unless they do not list sodium as an ingredient.