planning on preparing to be a nomad. hi!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breaker1nine

Reaction score
im so excited about doing this instead of staying here in Topeka Kansas in a basement and terrible weather, and ugly scenery.

I want to probably stay like in nevada because of a few main reasons that i want for freedoms because of the state.  I am on SSDI and get 900 a month currently, not married, no kids, no debt in a few months from now.   

I do remote support for a few small businesses locally in my town in KS for now bringing in a steady 300 a month there, then i walk to work a few blocks away and i work a cat shelter for another 200 about a month.  

I am willing to cut contracts and jobs to leave and be free in nevada as a full time van dweller.  I really want a good low milage white cargo van awd but the price on them are like 8000-20k for what i want.  then i need to save for all the gear suggested by you guys and gals.  
I have my 10 yr old 18.5 lb cat named PPTP and will be bringing him if his health stays good and stuff.  
So i would be down to 900 a month losing my jobs but seen that it is possible to afford future repairs and stuff if i budget correctly and my life will change to be more minimalist.  

I have lots of questions that isnt exactly answered by youtube but havent even viewed this forum yet and just wanted to register here at least for now as i plan on saving for the van, then the gear, then sell everything i own except those 2 then bail with my trip all planned out.  

So i will be not traveling much i think really i just want to live free and really would be happy in my van to be on my computer and I mostly play online games that need a steady low ping.  I understand that recepton, cell tower congestion and stuff will be an issue and my internet wont be as awesome as 50 down 5 up all the time like now in the house.  Im cool with that.  I figured i would goto wallmart parkinglot and game on whichever hotspot gives me a good low ping and is stable for gaming.  so i want stealth van cause i do computers a lot, then i could just bail from walmart oneday and go way out to the campsites and then i can go out with my cat and stuff.  wow im so happy about going nomad in my own way.  

I figured i would stash as much money i can back and live like a minimalist.  I am able to save at least 400 a month back every month.  so calculate that and you will know how long it will take me to be fully geared with the new van built into stealth rv.  i gather 2-4 years.  i live in kansas so all the vehicles probably are trash cause of the salted roads from winters.  my current car is a ford 2002 taurus and put 6000 bucks into it in 3 years to keep it going good with 170k miles on it.  I dont think i can do the car thing and it would be dumb of me to quit my jobs and just go now cause i have nothing saved up and my stuff i can sell is about 900 or bucks but dont want to sell till the very end when i got my van decked out.  that money will get me then there, buy a campground ticket if needed and just make it till next months ssdi payment.    Anyway folks thats what im thinking about and i feel like this isnt just a manic thought and will fade.  I really want to do this cause once I do i will have a way better quality of life.  I need the sunlight all year round and kansas aint cutting it.  I want nice weather too most of the time.  I can bare cold or hot cause im used to kansas, EXTREME bipolar weather lol.  anyway i bet ill do fine in the desert when i get there and i want to meet you nice people out there.  im very introverted but i bet that can change some cause of the freedom of being able to move my  home to somewhere at the turn of a key   :)

Welcome, and that seems to be a good long term plan.

It's possible that with the lifestyle and adventures, and visiting with other nearby campers, you will find that the online gaming will be less of a need, and more of an occasional diversion.

Or maybe find slower paced games that don't require the fast ping rate.

Anyway, say Hi to Dorothy and Toto!

:D

Welcome breaker1nine to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger