Sometimes We Just Need A Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:)  Making the decision to "Hit The Road Jack/Jill" can be full of questions before the decision can be made. Even if we have previous experience in camping with others in a tent, vehicle or some type of RV.  I found making the decision to trade or sell a popup tent camper that I hadn't used in years to be a " cause for a pause " moment.  

It was my "what if" escape housing.......like what if SSD is really broke and some month there are zero funds magically appearing in my bank account?  Could it happen?  Well like many things in life you just never know. 

I no longer take it for granted that I'll get back from Wally World or even the mailbox in one piece.  

For me the decision to actually become more mobile was hard.  A lot of what ifs.  What if I sell the Viking and can't replace it?  What if I need it and it's gone.  What if I find something else and can't afford it.  What if I can't find something my Ranger can tow.  What if I die before I can rid of so much stuff?

A biggie for me is WHERE THE *&%*$# DID ALL THIS CRAP COME FROM?

I had to take a long look at what I want vs what I need.  Many factors are involved in a decision like this.

Money.........physical limitations.........health care.........safety......family obligations.....what if I change my mind?  All of these can affect the realty of full timing vs part timing.

I want a 1979 Ford 3/4 4X4 with an extended cab     :D  I have a 25yr old Ranger 4x4 
 Mechanically speaking nearly new  thanks to a great mechanic.  If anyone is near Ft. Rucker AL I recommend Lon at L&K Custom Exhaust on Main St. in Enterprise AL.  It's easier to keep the Ranger & do repairs as needed.  Also I've pulled different trailers with the Ranger fully loaded, probably overloaded and it's never failed to haul or drag anything I put to it.  So I think I save money by not replacing the Ranger with my Dream Truck.

I am unable to crawl in and out of the truck bed so I needed a trailer that   A.....Ranger could pull, B..... I could afford, C... Set up by myself,  D....tows easily with low wind resistance,  E....take a friend with me. 

Things came together so fast I still can't believe it.  An Aliner showed up on CL, even tho it was on consignment the RV dealership owner worked it out and I was able to trade the Viking in  and I even qualified for a loan with my own bank.  Yippee!!!!!

When I first found CRVL I was all gung ho on selling out, buying a van and taking off.  Freedom!! I could see it, taste it, and smell it too. Then my realty said too much, too soon,  not feasible at this time.  This added another trigger for depression that I struggle with.  I was determined to move forward with my goal to obtain the means to become mobile NOW not at some future point in time.

So me full timing isn't an option now, maybe in the future. Now I have a rig I can handle myself. That is a goal met.

Thanks to my "it's a deal, look what's on the side of the road, what's that sticking up outta that dumpster" mentality  I have all the paint, wallpaper/boarders, curtain material, plastic drawer units,  dishes/pots/glasses etc.,  scrap wood, buckets/baskets, linens, rugs & whatever to out fit the Aliner and when I obtain a bed topper for the Ranger plenty of totes for storage.......oh yeah 2 0gravity loungers and plenty of folding chairs and small outside tables all from my "roadside shopping" route.

Now I can concentrate on getting rid of a ton of stuff that I have no need for and using that $$$$ for a  "hit the road" fund if only for short trips for now.  I still intend to go to RTR...I might not make it...if not I will adjust to that knowing that one of these years I will make it.  I look forward to meeting so many of you as our paths cross.

As towing capacity concerns many of us who drive smaller vehicles and cannot purchase bigger tow vehicles I've found 2 web sites re: lighter weight and easier to tow trailers, both also have many "how to do it" forums on many different subjects like here at CRVL.  They do not charge a fee to join and both have  for sale listings.  They are fiberglassrv.com and PopupPortal.com

Hope to see many of you at RTR, if not maybe we'll cross paths on the road, I hope so. :D

Jewellann and Queenie {snoring}

There is also http://tnttt.com/

Sometimes it is like the Nike commercial, just do it. I have spent a lot of time acquiring things to support a hobby to a point that I didn't have time for the hobby. As an example take fishing. Well now need the best pole, the best reel, the best line, the best lures, and a boat with gas and electric motor, and that needs a fish finder, gps, chart plotter, etc. Can't pull this with just any old thing, need a truck etc. I worked so much overtime to get all this stuff, I didn't have a weekend off to do it. A child with a string and safety pin caught more fish than me. Maybe I should have forgotten all about the stuff needed and just gotten a string and safety pin.

The van I bought a couple of months ago is almost road worthy. Hopefully I will actually use it.