solenoid + charger/maintainer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast

Reaction score
quick question for you guys... im getting ready to install a 200 amp continuous duty solenoid to charge my house batteries. my question is: do i also need to install a charger/maintainer with it? if i should, how does one go about wiring in the maintainer?

Assuming you have a pair of GC2 batteries you will need to use a charger. Maintainer's do not put out enough to really keep them topped off.

You would simply connect the charger to the batteries and then plug into shore power when you want to use the charger.

At least that's one way to do it!

confusing, you are installing a 200 amp solenoid to charge off your alternator. right? if that is the case, no you don't need a charger/maintainer. but you need fuses. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
confusing,  you are installing a 200 amp solenoid to charge off your alternator.  right?  if that is the case,  no you don't need a charger/maintainer.  but you need fuses.   highdesertranger

yes. i am attaching to the alternator for charging. this will be my main source of power, and i plan on putting in a solar panel or two later on. now, the solar panels...those will require a charger/maintainer, right?

Panels will require solar charge controller, yes, along with the usual wire/fuses, hardware.

yes for the solar panels you need a controller. I know this is all confusing at first but for solar it's called a controller.

on your vehicle alternator it's built in to the alternator and it's called a regulator.

on a battery charger most are unregulated(dumb) and so you must control the charging. some are regulated those are called smart chargers.

a maintainer is just that, it maintains a battery for long term storage. a maintainer and a charger are not the same.

now to make everything more confusing on a RV they are called convertors. convertors come in both dumb and smart versions. hope this helps.

highdesertranger

You have two circuits, Starter (engine) and House.

The solenoid only joins them while driving.

If you want two-way charging, as in from solar our shore charger, then

you need a VSR/ACR/combiner instead.

Ideally all big loads **and** charge sources go direct to House, then a solenoid or little Echo Charger is plenty to keep Starter topped up.

But if you want to self-jumpstart the engine from House, will need an expensive ACR of high ampacity.

thanks guys for all the input. surprising enough, all of it made sense to me, lol