Solar help needed at the RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UmpquaTim

Reaction score
I know it's overcast, so I'm not expecting much but I'm having a heck of time keeping my batts charged.  I've never had this problem before. My PWM controller is only showing that I'm harvesting 1.2 amps from 400watts of solar.  I've called around, and even on a day like this, I'm told I should be pulling closer to 10amps.  I've done a shade test on the panels to see if any are dead, but every time I cover one, the amps drop lower so I'm not seeing any panels that are "dead".  If you are at the RTR, solar competent and can help me troubleshoot this, I'd appreciate the help.  I need the power to get my work done, otherwise, I have to head back to Oregon. Argh.

By the way, I had a similar problem in the Alabama Hills several days ago where I tried to use my rice cooker (which is normally not a problem), but I noticed it dipped into my battery power more than I had expected.  I didn't think to check my controller to see how many amps it was bringing in, but I suspect it was the same problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Blue E350 passenger van / white top / Viewstar PWM 30amp controller / 400 watts solar / 420 amp hours batteries via 2 Lifelines

Tim

It has been cloudy lately hasn't it. My system was barely pulling 10 amps in the thick of it so I have been using my little inverter generator to make up the difference instead of cutting back on my usages. It made the rounds in Ehrenberg and I would be happy to help you get your batteries up with it.

This is why a alternate means of charging is important.

I'd kill for 10amps!  FYI... I do have the ability to charge when my engine is running (what I'm doing now), but that's not sustainable.  I will reach out to you should I decide that's the path to take.  Where can I find you?  I'm about 200 yards from Nomadic Fanatic. Would love to say hi :)

I am on state trust land right now. I will be looking for a spot in/by the RTR here soon.

With rain predicted, it might be even lower yield today. If you have any reason to go into town a morning drive might cram more current into the bank than idling.

While I'm not getting any better yield than anyone else my consumption is low and batts are charged. I can charge a laptop for you (or whatever) to help keep you working.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Ahhhhh These early morning rays have my truck panel standing up and applauding. I am picking up 20 amps and climbing. I should start the generator and bring all guns to bare before it clouds up but it is such a peaceful morning.

jimindenver said:
Ahhhhh These early morning rays have my truck panel standing up and applauding. I am picking up 20 amps and climbing. I should start the generator and bring all guns to bare before it clouds up but it is such a peaceful morning.

1.8 amps here with 400 watts solar. Ugh.

frater secessus said:
With rain predicted, it might be even lower yield today.  If you have any reason to go into town a morning drive might cram more current into the bank than idling.

While I'm not getting any better yield than anyone else my consumption is low and batts are charged.  I can charge a laptop for you (or whatever)  to help keep you working.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Thanks so much. I do appreciate that.  I'm going to see if I can get a call back from Solar Bills today or just drive over there.  They aren't keen on returning phone calls.  I suspect because they are probably crazy busy.  

My computer only has enough battery life for about an hour, so I'd have to keep running back and forth: :) Gonna try to get this under control today, otherwise, I have to bug out.  I have clients who need me to build a website for them this week.

Thank you!

Tim

UmpquaTim said:
1.8 amps here with 400 watts solar. Ugh.

Park on a hill maybe?

The 750 watts of polys on the roof are up to 7 amps.

Just a thought but, check your wiring/connections maybe? Go work at the library or Starbucks?
Definitely get a small generator if you can since power is critical for you.

Tim, are your panels flat mounted or tiltable?

Flat panels will underperform during low sun angles and short winter days...toss in clouds and then it's just a trickle of power. 

Jim gets good power production because he has a large panel that can be tilted up to gather more sunlight.

UmpquaTim said:
  I'm about 200 yards from Nomadic Fanatic.

The last video I saw of his was awhile back and he was planning to winter in Florida...I guess his plans changed....

:huh:

Solar Bills can be pretty pricy. There is also discount solar.

jimindenver said:
Park on a hill maybe?

You mean to get some tilt advantage?  That could help.

I think if we could get him out of the Bulk hole the voltage would come up high enough for the controller to haul in meaningful power from the panels.  Then bumping Vabs and Vfloat to the max Lifeline recommends could maximize power capture.

Tim:  I don't have enough solar grunt to charge your bank, but I can probably run your laptop during daylight.  Right now I'm putting 8+ amps into my own bank and will have surplus shortly (just started Absorption a few minutes ago).  If you have a 110 adapter for your laptop, we could scare up an 50' - 75' extension cord and plug it into my 300w inverter.    The extension cord would allow you to have distance/privacy for working and a sense of independence.  I am super quiet and private so I wouldn't bother you. The inversion to 110 would help reduce power loss over the distance.     

My inverter and other luxuries work on an opportunity circuit that cuts out at 12.7v, so your use literally could not affect my own power situation.   If it did pull down to 12.7v it would cut off, wait about 15mins after hitting 13v again, and kick back on.  Your laptop battery would engage during those periods, if any.  I met some web work deadlines in the 90s so I feel your pain, brother.

if by large you mean covers the roof of my Expedition, why yes I do. What I need is a second controller for the truck mounted in it. That way I could tie into someones system, set the parameters, connect the panel and let it have at it. Quieter than the little generator but combined with it there would be 60 amps or so available to a bank as a mobile charging station.

Random thought: have you considered running just one of the Lifelines (I assume they are 12v AGM in parallel)? In that scenario you might get a full charge on one, unhook it for storage, hook up the other and leave it in place.

That'd be 400w solar to 210Ah of battery, which is much closer to what the batteries want. 105A of usable capacity would be fine if we stow the rice cooker :) and I suspect it would be healthier for both batteries. I'd hate to see a beautiful and $$$ set of lifelines damaged by remaining at a low state of charge.

jimindenver said:
Park on a hill maybe?

The 750 watts of polys on the roof are up to 7 amps.

I drove around a bit today so I was able to get a charge.  Parking on a hill is a good idea as well.  I did reorient the van so it's at a little bit of a tilt.  Can say if it helps because right after I did that, it started raining.  My laptop is a power hog so no working today.  So glad I brought my tablet so at least I can still correspond :)

jimindenver said:
Solar Bills can be pretty pricy. There is also discount solar.

Ummm... I kinda left solar bill in a huff. After getting a bit of a lecture about how Trump has likely increased Chemtrail activity and how that might impact my solar harvesting, nothing else the tech said was credible to me.  

Then when I mentioned the conversation while I was trying to pay for their diagnostic, they didn't want me to leave until they confronted the tech with me present.  I just kept telling them that I just wanted to leave.. please let me pay so I could go.  In the end they waived the fee and I left.  

Anyway, I did mention that I'd prefer to get a 2nd opinion at discount solar.  I think that made things worse.  I should learn to bite my tongue.

I'm sure they are great at what they do, just not sure it was a good fit for me.  When I left they were debating how much Chemtrail would be needed to have any impact.  Again, I'm sure this is an anomaly, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

Oh, and the techs review of my system was that all was normal.  He's probably right, although I'll have discount solar review as well.