Solar "fairy" tiny string lights for campsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDR. Of course you need your searchlights. When the mothership lands we need to light it up. Otherwise we need to respect each other. Respect being the operative word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cynanne. I see a very few people having a problem with small fairy lights. Sounds fun to me. Done are gonna be sensitive. Just be agreeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My instinct would be to be far from anyone but it is the rtr so that won't be possible. These are 2 strings and they are 58 inches long each. They are not very bright but I am not surprised on the responses.

Thank you for the responses. These are not decorative holiday lights such as christmas lights or anything that substantial. This is literally 2 pieces of "string" and the "lights" are micro dots that are part of the string (embedded). It is waterproof and works for about 12 hours off of solar.

AJ452 said:
If one is in an area that already has people and lights all over then knock yourself out, I say. Put 'em up!

I wonder if the concern was actually about existing nice quiet dark areas and the wish to maintain them that way.

I could be wrong.
You are right.

The Dire Wolfess

Why not have the lights inside the van instead? I don't want things outside my van at night because if I want to leave in a hurry it might preclude getting things I left outside.

Post was super simple. HOW to hang a few fairy lights?

thank heavens the right people came along and tell us stupid wrong people how to handle our lives and our camping experiences. Where in heaven's name would I be without the right people telling me what to do? thank heavens for those who are always right? :) :)

I don't think I could survive thru life without everyone telling me how I live is oh so wrong.

Pet peeves people.
Your pet peeve is not written down as law. Will never be yet they are forced on others.

common sense on lighting and more for privacy etc. is key. we all know that. No one here is a dumbo LOL Someone comes within a range of making your camp uncomfortable you have 2 choices. Walk over and chat for less noise or whatever is bothering you and if not complied, ya got wheels, move your butt somewhere else. Others have rights also and we just never realize it as a true issue. Turn the other cheek kinda thing. Those who can't work thru issues like this must lead tough nasty annoying bitter lives I think? I mean all their pet peeves being thrown at them and they can't deal in a civil smart way to handle them? Just broil and fester and annoy them to no end? woof....crazy stuff.

travelaround said:
Why not have the lights inside the van instead? I don't want things outside my van at night because if I want to leave in a hurry it might preclude getting things I left outside.

The lights will not be on all night long but this will be a rental car (no van) and a small tent as well. I would not think on or in the car a good idea. That is not what these are for.

I have used the same lights to mark the edges of the pathway which has been cleared of obstructions between my camper and shower/bathroom tent. They are very low level lights that do not really shine like a flash light or head light. It would be much worse to have a flashlight on at 2AM when I have to go. I could not use a light at all but then it might be your tent I use. Probably what happened earlier at the caravan!

you could also consider just a few solar lanterns.
small ones. You can place on the ground or build up a small rock table to lift a bit off the ground, or put on a camp table or chair outside. You might not 'need' to hang so that is another option if wanted.

For those that are worried about light pollution at the RTR, well, life is gonna suck for you. There will be campfires, lanterns, flashlights, and porch lights every where. There are people like me that forget to shut off their porch light and as a friend says, Jim remembers to shut off his porch light when he goes to bed. The only problem is Jim goes to bed at 3 am.

There was a group across the wash of me that made some rather rude comments about my light at 2 AM. Funny thing is they were not concerned for those around them with their campfire, lantern and music as they sat there night after night talking, laughing and cackling away. I probably would have turned off the light and gone to bed earlier had they not kept me up.

Know that the RTR is going to be thousands of people cheek to cheek with each other. Please temper your expectations of others with respect and tolerance.

To the OP. Go to the Dollar tree and pick up some humming bird feeder hangers. They are metal and about 18 inches long. Three per side should do nicely.

jimindenver said:
... Funny thing is they were not concerned for those around them with their campfire, lantern and music as they sat there night after night talking, laughing and cackling away.
Yeah, seems to me that half the people who build campfires are drunks, are loud, and stay up half the night cackling. "Cackling" is a good description.

For OP, if you're camping out, I would also suggest getting a "high intensity" Led flashlight. I bought one before my last trip, and it's light years better than what I had before. I don't know how many lumens is good, but you definitely want one that hurts the eyes to look into. And extra batteries, usually AAA cells.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Q5-LED-1...-3-Modes-For-Fishing-Camping-Hiking/192549605

"Yeah, seems to me that half the people who build campfires are drunks, are loud, and stay up half the night cackling. "Cackling" is a good description."

easy there thunder.

highdesertranger

jimindenver said:
For those that are worried about light pollution at the RTR, well, life is gonna suck for you. There will be campfires, lanterns, flashlights, and porch lights every where. There are people like me that forget to shut off their porch light and as a friend says, Jim remembers to shut off his porch light when he goes to bed. The only problem is Jim goes to bed at 3 am.

There was a group across the wash of me that made some rather rude comments about my light at 2 AM. Funny thing is they were not concerned for those around them with their campfire, lantern and music as they sat there night after night talking, laughing and cackling away. I probably would have turned off the light and gone to bed earlier had they not kept me up.

Know that the RTR is going to be thousands of people cheek to cheek with each other. Please temper your expectations of others with respect and tolerance.

To the OP. Go to the Dollar tree and pick up some humming bird feeder hangers. They are metal and about 18 inches long. Three per side should do nicely.
These lights can be placed very low to the ground. I have never thought of bird feeder hangers. Just out of curiosity what kind of lights do you use with those. They would probably be very bright which is not necessary for me.

I have a porch light that will light up a clearing 30 yards out. I use the hangers for hummingbird feeders. I do have LED Christmas lights that I outline the trailer with but I wont have those up for the RTR. I would imagine they would ruffle a few feathers along with the brightly flashing Christmas tree that goes out front. lol

In a perfect world, there would be directional signs at the entrance:

Loud music, bright lights, cackling drunks, generators take the right fork.

Quiet campers who enjoy peace, nature and dark skies at night take the left fork.

When I read the OP I assumed they were talking about when their out in no-man’s land by themselves. Like others mentioned we tend to be loners who don’t want to be parking next to another person or in the middle of the desert. There’s plenty of space in the desserts and forest were you can be parked far enough away from others that you wouldn’t even know they were there even if they had bright lights. If their talking about a place that has a bunch of other van dwellers and rv’ers there’s a good chance the others will have some kind of lights as well.
Anyways, to the original point of this post. Maybe tent stakes would work. You can get them fairly cheap at most big box stores. For something taller there’s thin metal poles they have. I have no clue the technical name for them. Most people use them in the winter to mark off there their driveway is and the like. They go to about hip/waist. Depending on your height. I’m between 5’3-5’4 (depending who you ask) and they go to about my hip/waist area. There’s also the wooden dowels you can find at all craft stores, most home improvement stores, and most big box stores in the craft section. Those may work as well.

Moxadox said:
People literally come to the desert seeking dark skies.  Learn to use a headlamp so you won't trip over things in the dark, but please leave the desert dark for others.

So I guess I can't light up the 'Bat Signal' at night anymore?

Dang.  :cool:

Latest posts