Solar "fairy" tiny string lights for campsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the responses. If I forgot to mention- these "lights" make no sound at all. Literally none.

cynanne said:
My instinct would be to be far from anyone but it is the rtr so that won't be possible. These are 2 strings and they are 58 inches long each. They are not very bright but I am not surprised on the responses.

You know what? I guess no one got the notice about 'no lights' around camp at RTR.....

You hang up whatever lights you want to...everyone else does, including me. (mine is usually a kerosene lantern).

As people walk around in the dark, to and from the various gatherings and events at the RTR, it helps a great deal if some rigs have lights on them, not only to find your way back to your 'home', but also so others can find THEIR way home.

We all tend to make mental notes out there, you know, past the big nice, class A with red canopy lights, then bear left at the white tent with a US flag, then past the the blue van with a lit-up purple peace sign, keep going past the green screen tent with the moped nearby, oh, and 100 feet past the yellow tent with the cute little fairy lights...

Solar-powered fairy lights at RTR will not bother anyone.....jeeze...

I took these pics with my drone last year...and the "Light Police" were absent for the entire two weeks!

:p

DJI_0828.JPGDJI_0836.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0828.JPG
    DJI_0828.JPG
    248 KB
  • DJI_0836.JPG
    DJI_0836.JPG
    196.3 KB
cynanne said:
My instinct would be to be far from anyone but it is the rtr so that won't be possible. These are 2 strings and they are 58 inches long each. They are not very bright but I am not surprised on the responses.
Cynanne, honestly these negative responses on this thread are utterly ridiculous. NOBODY at RTR, or anywheres else for that matter, is going to complain about a few small lights around your tent. 

HDR is telling me easy there thunder, but honestly the negative responses you've gotten here are absolute silliness. I cannot understand these people even one little bit.

My instinct would be to be far from anyone 
This is the very last thing you should be thinking about. Being a solo woman in a tent out away from everyone else is not what you should be doing. Most of the people at RTR are gonna be locked away inside their nice big rosy-cosy RVs, and living just exactly as if they were at home. You should be camped right in the middle of everything.

highdesertranger said:
"but please leave the desert dark for others"

dang does that mean I can't bring my Carbon Arc search lights,

http://www.victorysearchlights.com/victory2.html

highdesertranger

Candle Power: 800,000,000 (800 million) 
Effective Beam length: 5.6 miles 
Effective Beam visibility: 28~35 miles 

I suppose we don't need to worry about stealth at the RTR.     ~crofter

tx2sturgis said:
So I guess I can't light up the 'Bat Signal' at night anymore?

Dang.  :cool:

Dang, I didn't know about that! Light 'er up!!!

The Dire Wolfess

This thread has been very instructive for me! I rarely go among humans, so I'm not much familiar with their ways. All y'all, thank you.

The Dire Wolfess

tx2sturgis said:
You hang up whatever lights you want to...everyone else does, including me. (mine is usually a kerosene lantern).
Cool pictures TX!  I think I can see some fairy lights in the distance in that second pic.    ~crofter

Oh you should see my 300 watt LED. It goes above the trailer to ward off coyotes or light up a parking lot. It is one of those that I have to tell people not to look at as I turn it on or they will see rows of LED's for a while.

Moxadox said:
This thread has been very instructive for me!  I rarely go among humans, so I'm not much familiar with their ways.  All y'all, thank you.

The Dire Wolfess

Now just hang on there. You and I have hung out and......Ohhhhh, you mean Norrrrrmal humans, huh?

Our rv has so many big lights it is rough on the eyes and can blow people out of the water. Especially our back flood lamps on the toyhauler. Everyone is super lucky around us that we don't use these lights :) We like darker but hubby will turn on the front cab lights. When walking the dog in a very dark night that little bit makes a diff. to us and we will be turning them on. Others can stumble around in the dark etc, we sure won't be doing that. I need some light around camp so there will always be a bit of light around our camp. Suck it up buttercup is all I can say to anyone else out there :) and I mean that nicely :) I have to suck up other things out there in the big bad world, someone else can suck up my lifestyle a bit LOL

crofter said:
Cool pictures TX!  I think I can see some fairy lights in the distance in that second pic.    ~crofter

Thanks...and oh....by the waaaay....

What the hell are fairy lights, anyway?

:huh:

I think there like bug lights. But for fairies.

As far as lights go, I use those cheap Harbor Freight solar LED rope lights. I put one on the awning and one under the van right behind the wheels front to back on the passenger side. They are not very bright (can't read by their light) and cast a nice glow around the side of the van to make navigation easy. I like to think the one on the ground keeps the critters away too. I do have mothballs under the hood, just for this purpose (changed twice a year). The lights make finding the van at night easy too if I stray off. None of my campmates at the RTR complained and even said they need to get some. They can be had for about $9 when on sale.

tx2sturgis said:
Thanks...and oh....by the waaaay....

What the hell are fairy lights, anyway?

:huh:

Google says:
"[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]What are fairy lights called in America?[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Christmas lights (also called twinkle lights, holiday lights, mini lights or fairy lights), that are strands of electric lights used to decorate homes, public/commercial buildings and Christmas trees during the Christmas season are amongst the most recognized form of Christmas lighting."[/font]

~ crofter

I made these for my garden, using the dollar tree solar lights and mason jars. You could get the plastic jars (if your concerned about glass) put the fairy lights in them and set them outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    87 KB
Here they are outside and lit up. They aren't bright, just enough ambient light to know where boundaries are.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.PNG
    IMG_0209.PNG
    634.2 KB