Solar Eclipse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be in central Oregon, very close to totally. Boondocking outside of Sisters, Or.

I have never met a rancher who leases BLM land that think they own it, but I get along real good with ranchers. hint, if you have any PETA, or Sierra club bumper stickers you might want to remove them, LOL. that said 80% of eastern Oregon is BLM or Forest Service. the road closures are paved roads and they really aren't closing them but making them one way. I would try the BLM land south of Baker City. along the Burnt river might be good. or south of Ontario there is a scenic canyon can't remember the name but the dirt road goes about 70 miles from Ontario to the US-95. 85% though BLM land. highdesertranger

Weather right now says cloudy in Baltimore on that day. May be nothing to see here. :(

My partner Nicole and I are taking Harriette(our van) for her first trip to see the eclipse. We're headed to Nashville TN and staying at mousetail Landing with a few friends of ours. Feel free to PM me if you'll be near by. We'd love to meet some new friends!

tx2sturgis said:

I'm involved with the oversized industry. The ban is for all the U.S. for the 4 days. Traffic will be nuts.
Regardless if you are in the band of totality or not, people will stop on the road to watch what they can.
YouTube videos of the eclipse will probably kill all the communications, lol.

PS- When the sun gets blocked, it will get cold quick. Remember your jacket!

If anyone wants to join our camp for the eclipse, you are welcome.  I'm here already and expect Tony and Karen tomorrow.  We are north of Idaho Falls within the path of totality.  PM me and I'll send coordinates via Google Maps.  This is a pack-it-in, pack-it-out camp; bring everything you need with you.  No camp fires, everything is tinder dry.  The road in is short yet bumpy; but I made it in just fine in my Prius, driving slow and careful.  Here are a few pics from our site here in the grasslands.

Attachments

• 20170817_185129_crop_604x641.jpg
    20170817_185129_crop_604x641.jpg
    393 KB
  • 20170817_184817_crop_856x317.jpg
    20170817_184817_crop_856x317.jpg
    260.2 KB
I'm in Jackson Hole in the Shadow Mountain dispersed area directly east of Grand Teton. They've just switched to designated sites and it is busy. We can squeeze you in in the 17 18 19 area. No idea on other options but the Wind River Range should be a good bet.

Weather forecast in Baltimore is still cloudy and possible rain........

IDLTooley said:
I'm in Jackson Hole in the Shadow Mountain dispersed area directly east of Grand Teton. They've just switched to designated sites and it is busy. We can squeeze you in in the 17 18 19 area. No idea on other options but the Wind River Range should be a good bet.

I've got the red canoe.

Would like to be where some of the rest of you are gathered to watch this. Going with NASA live coverage on this one though but the next one in 2024 looks like central line of totality might be in the back yard here. If I'm in this area when it occurs...

I saw a report that roads are going to be wall to wall peepers.
Like a hurricane evacuation from the keys. But worse......
Guess vandwellers will be more prepared for that than most !!!! :cool:

We made it to Suanne's camp on BLM land west of Dubois, Idaho! 
Everyone is welcome to join us. Sorry about the late invitation but we wanted to scope out the place before inviting anyone.
It's great! There's plenty of room and a nice breeze.  No crowds and a clear sky. 44.17479, -112.30943

Attachments

• IMG_6415a.jpg
    IMG_6415a.jpg
    57.8 KB
akrvbob said:
I'll be in Cookeville TN, you're welcome in my camp!

Was thinking of attending an event in Nashville... Might just drive a lil farther and hang out with the tribe instead   :)

Dennis said:
Would like to be where some of the rest of you are gathered to watch this.  Going with NASA live coverage on this one though but the next one in 2024 looks like central line of totality might be in the back yard here.  If I'm in this area when it occurs...

My wife showed me this video yesterday and we'll be driving 200 miles to Clemson U to see this.
Have a look.

(David Baron chases these rare events across the globe, and in this ode to the bliss of seeing the solar corona, he explains why you owe it to yourself to witness one, too.)

Sounds cool but won't Clemson be very crowded?

had paid reserved spot nearby, wife messaged me. looks like weather is bad at SC. heading to TN now.

Whoops. Going to be a search for clear skies now. Good luck!

akrvbob said:
I'll be in Cookeville TN, you're welcome in my camp!

Hi Bob,
Could I know more about your camp? Sent you an email.
It's going to be my wife's birthday!

Edit: doh. Wife says Cookesville is not in totality path. Must make it right for her birthday. Sorry for the troubles.