Solar Eclipse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
So who exactly is planning to be under the total solar eclipse on Monday August 21st?  The path of totality passes over parts of OR, ID, WY, NE, MO, IL KY, TN, NC, SC and GA.

Details here:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

I'm getting the impression that any campground space that CAN be reserved has already been reserved by somebody.  I'm thinking I may just find a WalMart or Truck Stop and see it there.

I am in the path here at home, but I might try to sneak into the conservation area near me to watch and then just stare at the stars afterwards!! I still gotta get one of those special eye pieces!!

I plan to be under it, just not sure where yet. As of now I'm thinking Wyoming but if a gathering of the tribe forms somewhere I would be inclined to be there.

Jackson and southern part of Grand Teton NP are in the path.  Last year in May I stayed at the Gros Ventre Campground.  It is first come first serve but I suspect it is going to be packed this August.  I also spent a night at the near by Black Tail Pounds Overlook parking lot(free). There are more parking lots a few miles up the road (89/191), Glacier View Turnout,Teton Point Turnout.  Of course I don't know the legality of staying at those parking lots overnight. After slept at the BTP I went to TPT to take photo of the Tetons.  It was about 5 am, a big class A pulled in the lot and a lady walked to me and we had a conversation.  She said she parked at the Visitor Center for the night.

I don't know if I'll go to Grand Teton to see the eclipse.  I really want to go to Alaska this August and September.

I haven't made a decision yet. The path is just south of me so not sure if I'll drive down and then head to my backpacking trip south of it, or just not bother. I don't have any firm plans.

Our plans for now are to enjoy the event in our own yard!

That puppy will be right overhead for us!

AND WE MAY HAVE SPACE FOR ONE OR TWO VANDWELLER FOLKS!
if you might be in the area, check with us!

Such Fun!!!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
So who exactly is planning to be under the total solar eclipse on Monday August 21st?  

I'm sorry OP... Carly Simon SO ruined total solar eclipses for me.  I haven't been able to watch one since 1972. :D

hepcat said:
I'm sorry OP... Carly Simon SO ruined total solar eclipses for me.  I haven't been able to watch one since 1972.   :D

Ah, You're so vain. :p

I probably won't get to see, either
odds I'll be working lol

I tried to make reservations anywhere near Casper, WY last October....everything was booked...except a couple of Airbnb...asking $1,000 a nite! 2 night minimum.
I looked at camp grounds...booked. Everything.

So..I started to look a field to any place within a 2 hour drive. I got the last room in town in Rawlin, WY. Booked it in November last year.

I have been checking this out....given the HUGE crowds of people flowing into every area in the path of Totality...the many different municipalities are making it known that on street, parking lot, etc sleeping will not be permitted. Joining the crowd trying to sleep at Walmart might be a bad plan to start.

Also..many of these places will not have restaurants or diners to handle these crowds. Pack your cooler and plan to eat from your own rig.

I suspect that places closer to large cities....like Denver on the east side of WY etc...and Salt Lake on the West are going to be even more crowded than the middle of nowhere Casper.

It is worth a 500 mile drive. Grand Teton looks good, but I don't know specific spots. Central Oregon and Idaho will definitely have lots of isolated locations.

DLTooley said:
It is worth a 500 mile drive.  Grand Teton looks good, but I don't know specific spots. Central Oregon and Idaho will definitely have lots of isolated locations.

I would expect Grand Teton National Park to be wall to wall people that weekend.

LeeRevell said:
I guess I am out of the direct path, down here in Florida.  Hopefully I can see a partial.

Here you go, Lee . . .

Eclipse2017_USA.png

Attachments

• Eclipse2017_USA.png
    Eclipse2017_USA.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
I'm thinking of a rural unpopulated part of Nebraska. Maybe camp in a State Recreation Area. Nobody will be rushing there, lol.