Solar Eclipse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
cloudy at 10.000 ft in the Rockies.

Bummer, dude.  I'm only about 30 miles east of you if you follow the crows. 
Clear shot of the sun.   Then again,  now Im blind.

Love these braille tablets!

Suanne said:
...3 of us from the forum...we have 6 additional vehicles and I suspect more will be showing up...

I just laid my white tarp on the ground in hopes of catching some shadow snakes.

10 minutes before totality I walked the quarter mile to the highway and counted 50 vehicles.  Wow!

So so awesome, amazing ... 360 sunset and Jupiter ...

And Donald and I caught a very quick glimpse of some shadow snakes just after totality.  Then Tony took this pic of Donald, Karen and I.

20170821_113752_001-2016x1512.jpg

Attachments

• 20170821_113752_001-2016x1512.jpg
    20170821_113752_001-2016x1512.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 23
20170821_142443.jpg20170821_143523.jpg

Just 80% here in Ann Arbor. A big bank of clouds rolled in just as the eclipse was at its peak but I got to watch it until then. I didn't have any glasses but used the old look at the shadows of the trees trick to watch it until the clouds came in. It got just dark enough to trigger the street lights to turn on.

First photo is the reflection of the tree leaves on the sidewalk with the crescent of the eclipse somewhat visible and the second picture is of the street lights turned on.

Attachments

• 20170821_142443.jpg
    20170821_142443.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170821_143523.jpg
    20170821_143523.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
20170821_143924.jpg

Looked amazing. Crickets started chirping.
Dark, but still can make out everything around. 
10/10 will do it again.

Attachments

• 20170821_143924.jpg
    20170821_143924.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 10
With two Renology 100W PV panels in parallel and two GC2 batts in series sitting at about 12.8V and going up on a bulk charge, I went from about 7 Amps to .3 Amps PV current at the 90% eclipse path here in Bozeman.

Hey, I just finished my solar system. What else would I do?

Freaking Awesome, here, outside of Sisters, Oregon. I was amazed how
Quickly it got cold. Glad that I was able to experience this. Now where should
VANessa and I explore next? Need to head towards New Mexico, I think.

93% here in central Illinois
the halo around it was cool to capture.
Rained all morning and then cleared up just before it all started.
olllllllo
d7b13a9338b13e1ff7b8de6ee12db785.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMG_1300.JPG
I had the time wrong and caught the show when it was half over. The smoke from the fires in Oregon made it look a bit more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 6
I got a half-way decent video of totality. I posted two videos to my channel. In one I have a commentary about science that will annoy many of you, so probably don't waste your time looking at it. 

This one is just the raw footage and a few details:

[video=youtube]

This one has the annoying commentary:

[video=youtube]

Bob, your commentary is anything BUT annoying. Science is the ONLY thing that stands between humans and the Dark Ages. Every society in history that has rejected science in favor of ideology--from the Catholic Church and Galileo, to the Soviets and Lysenko, to the modern USA and its war on science--has collapsed in failure. Every one.

akrvbob said:
" ... In one I have a commentary about science that will annoy many of you, so probably don't waste your time looking at it. "

The only thing that was annoying was that you didn't include women.

Otherwise, I would change the above sentence to:

In one I have a commentary about science that will [annoy] alert many of you, so [probably don't waste] you might want to take your time looking at it.

sometimesido said:
My wife showed me this video yesterday and we'll be driving 200 miles to Clemson U to see this.
Have a look.

(David Baron chases these rare events across the globe, and in this ode to the bliss of seeing the solar corona, he explains why you owe it to yourself to witness one, too.)

I'm so grateful to your wife, and to you for sharing this!
I felt I had done enough research on the topic, and I thought...well, why not?
This poignant presentation inspired me to chase this eclipse towards the best possible spot to have a similar experience!
Initially, it was somewhat clear in our first two locations. Then the second spot clouded over and we were running out of time. We had to make some quick decisions and act fast. So we headed further along the eclipse path's centerline until the skies cleared.
Eventually we had to stop alongside five strangers. The experience was overwhelming to me. It's everything that he said, and more... I thanked everyone for sharing this experience with me. Then, I realized how helpful it was to have watched and heard from someone who had experienced it the way that he did.
It seems I'd just developed some skills of an umbraphile!

P. S. A belated Happy Birthday! to your wife! (Wow...what a birthday!)

how can I put this, Bob with all due respect you are comparing apples to oranges. landing men on the moon, probes on planets and asteroids while truly amazing it is nothing more then math. a plane taking of in one place and traveling thousands of mile and landing exactly where it is supposed to is math. an ICB able to hit a toilet on the other side of the world is math. now a lot of technology goes into the rocket, plane which is in a constant state of flux, but the science behind the navigation is not.

as an example look at the hurricane that is going to hit Texas. they don't know where. I saw a graph of possible paths and it looked like a pile of worms. all they can tell you is it's going to hit Texas. duh a third grader could tell you that. why can't they project where it will make landfall? because they don't know it's not an exact science it's not a math formula, all the can do is speculate, which is what most global warming scientist are doing.

so is the planet warming? probably. is man the cause? maybe. but it is not a proven science. has the planet warmed before? yes. has it cooled before? yes. were these historic swings man made? no. the thing here is we really don't know the answer. anytime scientists use ridicule to back up their claims makes me highly skeptical. remember the flat earth scientist, they used ridicule and threat of excommunication to back them up. sound familiar. I want facts not ridicule. scientist are taught to always be skeptical of all claims. what happen to that. real scientist are supposed to welcome skepticism. were is that. what I am trying to say here is it's not settled. many of the ones yelling the loudest live lavish lifestyles. what's their carbon footprint? is it do as I say not as I do? or I can live this way but you can't. so I will go with true science which includes much skepticism. not ridicule. highdesertranger

PS... I could go on and on when scientists use ridicule to silence critics and did not accept skepticism but I didn't think we needed to go there.

HDR:

Bob DID say it was 'annoying commentary'.....

;)

I posted a something a bit different for my experience...and yeah...it also has a bit of me providing some 'annoying commentary'....but the fact is, it was a very moving experience...and made us all think...and sometimes...expressing thoughts just happens in the moment....

If nothing else, we learned we are participants in some events, and only spectators in other events.

I shot this in Western Wyoming at Lake of the Woods, at about 9275 feet elevation...the eclipse was just reaching totality when the video begins:

[video=youtube]

People who think science is a plot against them, simply are not worth taking seriously.

ESPECIALLY when they are typing it on a computer in the most industrially advanced society that has ever existed---all because of science.

I'm going to have to disagree HDR, if you've done any research into climate science you know it's ALL math. Here are just a few, quick examples.  
  • Simple, reproducible equations tell us from ice core samples how much carbon has been in the air for an extremely long time (800,000 years, from a low of 180 during ice ages to a high of 310 during warming spells. It's currently at about 405--all simple math) The present concentration is the highest in at least the past 800,000 years[4] and likely the highest in the past 20 million years
  • Simple measurements tell us how much carbon is in the air in modern times and how quickly and slowly it increases.
  • Simple math tells us there has never in the history of the planet been such rapid change of carbon without a direct extrordinary cause 
  • Simple, reproducible equations tell us by the isotopes in every carbon atom where it came from (from a cow fart, a volcano, a forest fire or a gallon of gas).
  • Simple, reproducible math equations tell us exatly how much carbon is put in the air from every gallon of gas burned. 
  • Simple, reproducible equations tell us exactly how much the temperature goes up for every ton of carbon added to the air. 
There is math behind every single tiny element of climate science and when we put it all together it's very little different from sending a probe to an asteroid.

The math and science is old and well established and accepted by every single institution of science everywhere in the world--except those funded by the oil industry.

The attchment is one tiny example of the math used:

Attachments

• carbon-math.JPG
    carbon-math.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 13