Solar Eclipse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Yup. And growing up I thought everyone felt like they were being stabbed in the eyes when they went into bright sunshine, turns out thats not how it is. Hmmm

I was thinking about going down to Tennessee to see it but alas, I was too slow and others have already asked for the day off work. I can work remotely but it still seems like a lot of driving. Guess what though, in my area, it is going to be almost a full eclipse at around 80% coverage. If you want to beat the crowds, there is a MUCH larger area of the country which will get pretty close to a total eclipse.

Here is a handy dandy calculator

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in.html

slynne said:
I was thinking about going down to Tennessee to see it but alas, I was too slow and others have already asked for the day off work. I can work remotely but it still seems like a lot of driving. Guess what though, in my area, it is going to be almost a full eclipse at around 80% coverage. If you want to beat the crowds, there is a MUCH larger area of the country which will get pretty close to a total eclipse.

Here is a handy dandy calculator

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in.html

We're supposed to see 95% here in Central Illinois, should be interesting.

I'm in the 100% band and have a few friends coming down from Iowa... There's a small campground nearby that they will be staying at... I may or may not stay with them, but we will probably be sitting very near an I-70 overpass as the highway provides a tree free, somewhat high spot, to watch from.

I bought glasses for the girls where I work to use, but that will depend on whether the teachers let them out of class. And, finally, I've heard a few people say their businesses are shutting down for a while to allow their employees to watch... pretty cool!

Check the weather too. If it's cloudy, you won't see a damn thing.

I've had floaters since I was 7.
Nuff said. :cool:

I found this list, :cool:

Refuges in the direct path of the eclipse include:

Pacific Northwest (first U.S. viewing area)
Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon
Camas National Wildlife Refuge, Idaho

Mountain-Prairie
National Elk Refuge, Wyoming
Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Nebraska

Midwest
Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge, Missouri
Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Missouri
Big Muddy National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, Missouri
Middle Mississippi River National Wildlife Refuge, Illinois and Missouri
Cypress Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Illinois
Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge, Illinois

Southeast (last U.S. viewing area)
Clarks River National Wildlife Refuge, Kentucky
Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge, Tennessee
Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, South Carolina
Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, Georgia and South Carolina
Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge, South Carolina

Each refuge will have designated public parking and viewing areas. The number of parking spots will vary by site or refuge complex. You’d be wise to check with refuges for details. Refuges are open from dawn to dusk. Overnight camping or parking is allowed in only some refuges. And because the eclipse is occurring during the height of wildfire season, plans may need to change at short notice to protect public safety.

Here are few “area specific” tidbits:

Oregon Coast refuges (Siletz Bay and Nestucca Bay) will cap eclipse visitor numbers at 200 to protect habitat for the fragile Oregon silverspot butterfly. Refuge staff, volunteers and partners have been restoring that habitat for years to prepare for the reintroduction of the federally threatened butterfly at Nestucca Bay Refuge.

National Elk Refuge near Jackson, Wyoming, warns they’re expecting lots of company. Be sure to have your accommodations arranged prior to arrival. Camping and overnight parking are not allowed on National Elk Refuge. Bring ample food and water in case local supplies run short or traffic congestion makes supply runs difficult. The primary planning site for visitors to the Jackson Hole area that week is http://tetoneclipse.com/.

In southern Illinois, Crab Orchard Refuge is anticipating spillover from Moonstock, a solar eclipse-themed, four-day music festival set to take place nearby. The refuge will waive entrance fees that day. Look for more information on the refuge website as the date approaches.

Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge, 30 miles northwest of St. Joseph, Missouri, will host a solar eclipse watch party. The event will feature information on nighttime wildlife as well as the eclipse. A limited number of viewing glasses will be available.

Finally, here’s a web resource to help you find national wildlife refuges near your home or travel destination. Click on the state, then click the refuge name to visit each refuge website and learn about all there is to see and do. You can also find refuges by state, alphabetical refuge list, zip code and more.

S

Queen said:
We're supposed to see 95% here in Central Illinois, should be interesting.

Wow...looks like you have front row, center!! :)

If we are 6 hours away going towards the path of totality, and it's suggested to plan for rush hour traffic; how many extra hours would we add if we can't stay the previous night?  :-/

I think I'm 30 miles from the path of totality. I might drive over there are do a Walmart campout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground zero for longistblack out 2min55sec hopkinsille Ky.Iive 30miles away IThink Iwill stay home.they are expecting over 1milion to visit the area. Hotels are $800a night. Bandb are $1000. Ana a whole house is $10,000.sorry about mis speles sent from smart phone

All,

I'm new to this forum and van living. I've been traveling solo for a month now and will be in Salt City on the 19th. Depending on the weather, I will be in either Idaho Falls or somewhere in Wyoming to catch the Eclipse. If there's a gathering please let me know. I would love to meet some fellow van dwellers, specially those who drive a Ford Transit Connect.

Best,

Donald
[email protected]

Anyone know any good dispersed camping that can be done on BLM desert land in Oregon? I read they're closing down a lot of roads and parking lots so I'm looking for a remote spot, especially where I won't get any hassle from those ranchers that lease the BLM land (then act like they own it). I have 4wd.

Well, I will be working that day. LOL! As someone else here shared, the NPS (and all of us at Yellowstone) is expecting a lot of people. We shall see...

A friend of mine is going with her hubby to the Grand Tetons for the eclipse. They are planning to safely take pictures for those of us who have to work. :D

VanGrrl57 :D

Yah I will be working as well, expecting a slooooooow day and time to step outside to catch the shadow on the cement whoopee, not my first and hopefully not my last. LOL