Softer flooring?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedogz

Reaction score
I'm sure this question belongs somewhere, but not sure where...

I see a lot off builds and videos using hardwood or laminate or LVP floors. These are great but they're HARD on the knees.

Anybody got any alternatives?

IMG_2867.jpeg
I don’t walk on my knees……..
Luke Kneewalker;
Maybe try ur feet?
Ok ok. It’s a van dude. Do you like stand all day in one spot? Put a swivel on the passenger seat and give yourself the lazyboy treatment.
Get outside and move. The van is for sleeping, lounging and driving somewhere, otherwise you should be outside enjoying your life and the Earth.

Put in your hard floor surface. Then go to Harbor Freight and buy some of the interlocking floor puzzle mats , the type you put in front of a workbench to stand on. They are inexpensive and durable, made of a closed cell foam that does not absorb moisture. They are easy to take up and put back down if needed. Very easy to trim to size. Soft under foot or knees. Washable and non slip. Plus they have two other great benefits, they are great sound absorbers and very good insulation. If one gets damaged you can swap it out for a new one. If they need washing you can pick them up and do it outside. But inside it works better to vacuum than to sweep.

There are other companies that make puzzle mats in different colors with smoother surfaces. Including various wood grain looks. You can order those online.

Last edited:
View attachment 36461
I don’t walk on my knees……..
Luke Kneewalker;
Maybe try ur feet?
Ok ok. It’s a van dude. Do you like stand all day in one spot? Put a swivel on the passenger seat and give yourself the lazyboy treatment.
Get outside and move. The van is for sleeping, lounging and driving somewhere, otherwise you should be outside enjoying your life and the Earth.
You are 100% right. However, I a minivan I'm gonna be up and down on my knees a lot to reach stuff of all kinds.

I thought of those puzzle-mat pieces, but I was hoping to maintain the ability to clean properly without disassembling the floor.

I used the puzzle mats to keep the cold away from my feet in an aging Class C, now retired.

Dust will find its way under the mats.

Now there are hitchhiking small pebbles that seem to be dumped wherever I park.

A "Life is Better at the Campsite" mat does nothing to keep the crud out.

Not using anything on the floor in the current Class C.

Wear knee pads.

You are 100% right. However, I a minivan I'm gonna be up and down on my knees a lot to reach stuff of all kinds.

I thought of those puzzle-mat pieces, but I was hoping to maintain the ability to clean properly without disassembling the floor.
My bad…….
I forget about SUVs & minivans and I definitely know better after spending years in a suburban or a pickup.
I’ve gotten sooo spoiled and high maintenance since moving into something I can actually stand up in.
Yeah; I had nice kushy padded carpet in the pickup bed but guess there’s knee pads too or maybe parking lot/street goalie knee pads?