So I got this bed idea, could use some mechanical modeling help...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
So for my bed, I want it to fold up in a tri-fold fashion, I'm happy enough with my plan now to give it a shot, but there's a few dimensions I'd like to experiment with.
So the concept is, the bed frame is 3 sections with pivot points in-between, and when flat would look like _ _ _
When in the upright position, it would look like /\ _ so I have sitting.
I'll accomplish this with heavy duty drawer slides rated at 500 pounds.
Lets call the panels A, B, & C. A is attached with a pivot to the side rails on the left side, the right side attaches to B with a pivot. B attaches to C with a pivot and C is mounted to the drawer slides. I've figured I'll need 40" slides to fully extend to 80".
I want to play around with the lengths of A, B & C to test seat back angles and bottom depths and see how it moves.
I've been futzing around last night and all morning trying to make models out of balsa, and e-modeling with Linkage, and FreeCAD.
What I've got now I'm feeling good enough about it to give it a go and order $150 drawer rails, but as is the back is a kinda reclined and would like to get it a little more upright.
Thanks guys!

Typically called a tri-fold sofa or jacknife sofa, you can build one with 3 moving panels/cushions, but 2 panels/cushions makes it a bit simpler and easier to build.

Biggest problem I see is I hate to have a seam in the cushions which I can feel when sleeping and having to store extra covers and make the bed before I can sleep. Why not make a padded back rest/head board and fold a one piece bed platform against the wall leaving part of the bed platform for sitting that you can put a stored pillow on to sit, just make sure to hinge it far enough off the wall to hold you mattress and covers. You could even do a folding table off the bottom of the folded sleeping platform as well.

slow2day said:
So 3 separate cushions as a mattress?

Not 100% yet, initially yes but now I'm leaning towards a twin XL futon style mattress. Seems if it has futon in the name it would be flexible enough for what I want lol.

tx2sturgis said:
Typically called a tri-fold sofa or jacknife sofa, you can build one with 3 moving panels/cushions, but 2 panels/cushions makes it a bit simpler and easier to build.

I've spent days (unemployed) looking at various type single foldable beds and haven't really come across anything that fit's in the way I'd like. Plus it has to run along the length of the van, I'm too tall to sleep sideways.
Actually I did come across this, and am waiting for further specs, thanks for the reminder :)
[img=200x100]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71AvQR2FncL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/img]

I’ve got this old quilt, it is sort of my security blanket. It was handed down through several generations. Yes I am a member of YARC.

Initially I was looking at a mattress like this and got me on to the design for the frame as it essentially folded the same way.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ8H...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
However, it was metal and required welding, and I have no welder nor welder friends so I came up with something I could do in wood and achieve the same desired outcome, an 80" bed that pushes back into a 42" space and a chair.
So now I'm looking at something like this for a mattress:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01A68L...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also FYI, the drawer slides lock in the in position, so when in seat fprm it's locked from falling down to a bed

dang 500 pound slides. I just got 250 pound ones to make a refrigerator slide and they are damn heavy. I realize the heavier duty they are the more durable they will be. but 500 pounders. where did you find those? how much where they? got a link? highdesertranger

Go to ironcad.com and get a free 30 day trail. That will be quick enough to sort out you design concept. Frr tutorials pn youtube. It is an excellent but easy to use professional  3D CAD program used by engineers, product designers, boat building etc. You obviously wont need to learn all the functions it does to figure out your drsign. but it has a unique tool called abtri-ball that makes it dead eady to move and rotate things. So when you go to youtube to chevpck it out be sure you eatch the intro where it shows using the triball to move, duplicate and rotate objects.

thanks for the links. actually those are not bad prices for that weight ratting. I hope my 250 pounders hold up as they were about 1/2 that price. highdesertranger

maki2 said:
Go to ironcad.com and get a free 30 day trail. That will be quick enough to sort out you design concept. Frr tutorials pn youtube. It is an excellent but easy to use professional  3D CAD program used by engineers, product designers, boat building etc. You obviously wont need to learn all the functions it does to figure out your drsign. but it has a unique tool called abtri-ball that makes it dead eady to move and rotate things. So when you go to youtube to chevpck it out be sure you eatch the intro where it shows using the triball to move, duplicate and rotate objects.

Thanks Maki, I think I'd seen that one but then tried FreeCAD and gave up! I'll give that a shot.

Uncle Todo said:
Not 100% yet, initially yes but now I'm leaning towards a twin XL futon style mattress. Seems if it has futon in the name it would be flexible enough for what I want lol.

I've spent days (unemployed) looking at various type single foldable beds and haven't really come across anything that fit's in the way I'd like. Plus it has to run along the length of the van, I'm too tall to sleep sideways.
Actually I did come across this, and am waiting for further specs, thanks for the reminder :)
[img=200x100]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71AvQR2FncL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/img]
So could you use a pulley system? You could use cord that runs through both the top and middle and adjust it high or low as you need it. Hope you can visualize what I am saying. I have been messing around with the pulley idea for my own adjustable bed. If you know how to tie different knots it would be a lot less building and weight added to the van and give you more options for adjusting it.

i had originally built a similar bed. I had found the build at this YouTube vid.

I did not keep this layout... initially only because i hated having to crawl out of bed.. i prefer stepping out of my bed.

it was pretty cool to have seating on both sides.. so you can open the back doors and have a little spot to enjoy... lol..i guess.

making the cushions were expensive and mine were poorly executed.

it's a nice way to have a little extra space by folding up a bit. 

in the end i salvaged as much materials i could and built a sofa/ bed along the wall that was sized for a single size mattress... which was much more comfortable than those damn extremely expensive cushions i made... they now sit by on my couch and i can step out of bed anywhere. 

it was super easy to build  and my variant is posted here
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=39952

Thanks Desert_Sailing, good stuff.
I would like to have something is "reversible" in that you can use it from both side for looking out the back. But primarily I don't want any part protruding past my side door opening while in seating mode. I had looked at several ways of doing this all with wood and sliding, but couldn't come up with anything that didn't take up too much space underneath. Under bed storage is priority. It'll more or less be a platform across the width of the van over the wheel wells but the bed in the middle.

I like your larger van, initially when I'd been planning this in a larger van I'd planned on a futon style bed along the driver side where length wasn't an issue. My goal is to try and keep a central open area, or "living room" if you will.

a living room space vibe was important to me as well. I didn't want to have merely a bedroom on wheels.  i forget that i do have a bit extra lenght and it doesn't always translate well.  I did also think about going with the bed going side to side across the back... that is typical of many builds.. at 6-1 that wasn't going to happen..... however for tall folks... we can do that we just have to sleep on the diagonal.   Make the bed wide enough and we fit fine...i think it is around 4 foot wide  across the back to get a proper bed.

keep us posted amigo.. i know I'm always interested in layouts!

I needed some heavy duty draw slides for my 6’ drawers in my topper platform. Some old alternator bearings with a shouldered bolt in a piece of angle iron solved the problem. I just drilled som holes so I could pin it open where I wanted it.

I got the slides today, and boy are they beefy!
Now I need to get off my duff and get going to the point of making my bed tee hee.

Latest posts