Snooping drone shoot down.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeeRevell said:
TOTALLY WRONG ANSWER AND CONCLUSION.  :dodgy:

In your opinion.

*shrug*

If you don't see the dangers of blasting drones out of the air in populated neighborhoods, then nothing I say will change your mind.

As for my comments on 'peeping toms' - a term which is applied to voyeurs - look up the legal definition of voyeurism.  Even if the operator of the drone was looking at the girls, difficult to do with a wide angle lens that comes on the drones unless they get very close - looking at girls is not voyerism, and not illegal. I have three decades experience working in the legal field.

The officers had no probable cause to arrest the drone operator.  He had more than enough sufficient probable cause to arrest the shooter. The case will not be dismissed. He will be liable for the cost of the drone.

What you wish to believe is irrelevant to the facts as we know them.  Then again, we don't have all the information, either.

Regarding taking one down with a machete here in Taxachusette's .
I would have to be " Clearing The Vegetation " in my back yard to take a swing .
" No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, a machete. For purposes of this section, "machete" means a heavy knife at least eighteen (18) inches in length and having a blade at least one and one-half (1.5) inches wide at its broadest measurement. This subsection shall not apply to carrying a machete on one's person or in a vehicle if the machete is carried for the purpose of cutting vegetation or if the machete is being transported for the purpose of cutting vegetation. "
Note
They tried to pass a bill on 2005 requiring a license to own or carry one .
They bill did pass , but was never heard from again , or entered into law . ( Rumor is Romney vetoed it )
The city legislatures supported it , but those from ( rural ) western mass. were against it .
But some towns and the city of Boston ( 2 1/2 in. blade limit ) do enforce it ????

Bob

Also the use of a sling shot is a Big No No .
Slingshots, slingshot ammo, and slingshot supplies, cannot be shipped to the following states, counties or cities:

Delaware: Dover & Wilmington
Florida: St. Augustine
Illinois: Evergreen Park
New Jersey
New York: Only wrist-braced slingshots are illegal.
Massachusetts
Minnesota: Duluth
Rhode Island
South Carolina: Charleston
Tennessee: Knoxville & Johnson City
Utah: Salt Lake County
Virginia: Falls Church

There was still no legal basis for damaging another's property. You might not like that fact, but it's a legal fact.

I'll step out of the conversation, now, as it appears some people only want to hear what they already think lol.

Seraphim, you do have an annoying habit of making some very broadbased and incorrect assumptions.  Ah well.  To each his own.
No, I would NOT be shooting in a community situation where my shot would endanger others.  I do have that much intelligence.  BUT......    the privacy invasion issue is important.   If you are okay with a peeping tom looking up your skirts, so be it.  Others are not.   Simple.  We are on extreme ends of this debate, and will remain so.

gsfish said:
Here is a short article with links about new drone/privacy law in Florida. Includes private and law enforcement drones.
https://epic.org/2015/05/new-drone-privacy-law-signed-b.html

Guy

Excellent!  As I have a tall privacy fence around my yard, I do indeed have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  A drone coming over my fence, or hovering high enough to look over, is NO different than a peeping tom looking over with his binocs.  If I can't shoot him, I CAN and will use other means.  Non-harmful to humans, of course.  "Non-harmful" not to be confused with "painless"........   A hit to the wallet can be painful indeed.

sushidog said:
How about using a scanner to find the frequencies the controls operate at and then using your own closer, more powerful transmitter tuned to their frequencies to take control of their drone and bring it down safely? It sounds difficult to me, but I'm sure someone here has the tech savvy to pull off something similar and either jam or override their controls.

Just a thought.

Chip

FYI on today's modern 2.4Ghz RC systems once the Transmitter and the receiver connect using what is called a FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) the receiver will not talk to anything else. Again all you could do is over power or jam the signal causing the RX to go into a fail safe mode if it has that capability. 

Mike R

Patrick46 said:
these things aren't water-proof...are they??

I'd give it a good blast with the garden hose!

Patrick,
This sounds like an interesting solution. If the peeping tom is aimed toward you and sees the hose come on, he'd likely get his dangerous machine out of there pronto versus taking a chance that the water would down it.

Who knows which ideas might be deemed "legal" in various states right now. But I am glad to know there is a national effort underway to set legal standards -- per the article link posted by Guy. So this is more reason to get photos of an invasive drone -- to prove the invasion of privacy or even harassment.

I agree 100% with Seraphim. While the owner of the drone should be made to stop by any legal means, pulling out a gun and blasting it out of the air in a populated area is dangerous beyond words. The shooter should be tried and punished per the law.
Bob

I don't have time right now to watch all of this, but!!!!
at 1:56 he is 975 feet down range from his take off point, That in it's self is a violation of AMA and FAA guidelines. Those guide lines are that for the hobbyist we must be in in visual contact or have an observer in visual contact at all times to the point that the aircraft can be flown by visual contact only. No way he could have at that range. He was flying what is called in FPV mode. Essentially flying by video link back to his take off point.
for now that's my concern, I also need to verify the model he was flying and did it have fail safe features.

I'd have to agree though I would not be happy in the lest to know that my neighbor almost a 300 yards away was flying a RC aircraft over my home. That's not cool AT ALL>

I should have said telemetry rather than video. You do not get to see an actual video of where it went. There are suggestions on other sites that the telemetry may have been faked.

Here is a video of a firefighter hosing one down.

here's a little over 8 minutes of people who think they know how to fly a quad copter.

and yes there were some serious injuries, and the animals have no clue that this thing could hurt them as well.

Mike R

WriterMs said:
Bingo on the slingshot. LOL

The bola without the spud gun would be good too... but who the heck knows how to hand throw a bola these days?  Oh wait... where's HDR or oneleggedcowboy. hahahaha

Or what about a boomerang?   If it could come back to you after striking the drone... maybe there is not even any evidence.  Well, the drone cam would show it being thrown probably.. but still it might work do down the darned thing.

In skilled hands a boomerang is quite accurate as long as you're a good judge of wind direction.
I'm in Sydney Australia, we were taught to throw them in primary school and I was amazed at how they perform.