Snail Mail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonbrown

Reaction score
I have done some research on this and still can not find an answer. Perhaps some of you here may help. I have a "permanent" address in central NY, all my mail that matters (ss,insurance,ect) is delivered there, but what I would like to know is with me moving around alot, can I get my mail "on demand"?, that is, suppose I am in a campground for a week, say, not far from the local post office and I get a message (email, text or phone call) about some mail I received back in NY and I would like to address (no pun intended) what ever the letter is about. I could have a family member overnight it to where I am presently at or is there another way without the inconvenience my family member would/might go through? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I never gave this much thought. I appreciate all answers/suggestion. 

Also places like the UPS Store will do 'Mail forwarding' services in most places, but will be spendy.&nbsp; If you are full-time van dwelling, you could get away with making your state of residence and your permanent address be anywhere in the country, say Nevada, Florida, North Dakota, etc that don't have income taxes, and cheaper registration of your vehicles and all that jazz. @akrvbob is based out of Nevada, his book talks about it, and I'm sure he has an article or two on his main page about mail forwarding and state residency.<br /><br />Anyways, If you have to change your address anyway, might as well make it to your benefit.<br /><br />My mail forwarding service is out of Pahrump, Nevada, for about $100/year, this really nice lady checks my mail for me every day, and if something important shows up, she sends me an email, otherwise whenever I'm around a place for a while, I just say Hi! I'm going to be @ XX address during these dates, if there is any mail around for me, please send!<br /><br />Anyways, this is how my service works, and she was the cheapest one I could find looking around.&nbsp; Apparently there are RV clubs you can buy into, that also do mail forwarding, but I know nothing about how those work.

As to where to send it, I usually have my mail service send me mine to me at "General Delivery" in whatever town I am in or going to be in. &nbsp;I try and pick smaller towns rather than big cities.

I had my mail going to a Postal Express place in my hometown and the woman and I are great friends...she would do whatever I needed and just charge the postal fees. Unfortunately the owner decided to close the place down within a one week periodand all their customers were basically screwed, including me. As it turned out the USPS did not recognize any of the separate Postal Express boxes...only the street address of the place....so we had to write to every single person or place that sent us mail and change our address ourselves...it really screwed me up as I had sent some letters to the Defense Department pertaining to my military records and no longer had their address....I will never get a response....extremely frustrating.<br /><br />Be careful and ask the questions before depending on the business.<br /><br />I have a friend who uses a service that has a pretty stiff monthly charge but it opens his mail and scans it and sends him everything digitally so he can see if he needs the mail. If he does need it he can have it sent to General Delivery wherever he will be.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Bri

Not all post offices accept general delivery, in big cities it's usually only the main one.&nbsp; You can check online at usps.gov.&nbsp; Some are freindlier than others about it, <br />quartzsite has limited hours for general delivery pickup.

Latest posts