MAIL WARNING!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, 

Allow me to give you a little background, about four months ago, I changed my address to Anytime Mail, after using the service. I figured out it is not all that it is cracked up to be.. 1. My vehicle insurance would not accept the address. 2. I could not use it for my drivers license 3. there were other businesses that would not accept it, for example I wanted to start donating plasma, they would not accept it. 

Now, I am trying to change my address to a family's address in NY.. and I am learning that the postal service does not allow you to change your address from one of these addresses back to a residential address. The only hope I have to getting this sort it out, is to cancel my original change of address, then change my address to the Ny address.. 

So, Please be aware when you are trying to find solutions to acquiring and address especially if you plan to live this life style full time.

Absolutely good advice. I think you must have missed the part about establishing domicile. Mail forwarding is one thing, domicile is entirely another thing- and the thing you have to get right.

There is a huge reason that most fulltimers establish domicile in one of three particular states. I urge anyone getting ready to do this life to read all about domicile at the Escapees website.

^^^ Escapees can help you do it right and they offer several states if you want to use their mail service. Another really easy way to do this can be a summer job in the state you wish to be a resident that provides you housing so you can get all the required documents for a physical address as well as a local P.O. Box if you pass through the area several times a year. The real ID program has complicated things some but getting a Passport while at a physical address is highly recommended. It is complicated and advice from Escapees is recommended as not only insurance but taxes, vehicle inspections, estate laws, health insurance, unemployment and even Medicaid rules differ from state to state. We have had to deal with several states as up until this year we were both working and in more than one state usually. Doing what you can while you still have or have obtained a physical address makes it much easier.

Actually the issue is that the post office is not allowed to forward mail or change addresses from a business location. They are only allowed to do address changes from a residential address.

You can contact each of the places you need to change your adress at and do them all directly one by one. That is your only solution. You will have to do that anyway as even for a residential address change there is a time limit for how long they will forward mail from a previous address to a new one.

They can't do it from a business location as it can cause havoc for the business owner with sensitive business mail going all over the place. Too many errors can occur. Even problems can happen if one family member in a household puts in a forwarding address but others stay at the same location.

Just contact all your essential people and business you need to keep in contact with and give them your new address. Make a list and get to it right away. Arrange with any private mailbox services to forward mail to you. They might charge a fee for that. But it will be worth it if you are eaiting on something critical.
This is just one of the many frustrations that happen during transistions.

Ravella and X said:
Absolutely good advice. I think you must have missed the part about establishing domicile. Mail forwarding is one thing, domicile is entirely another thing- and the thing you have to get right.

There is a huge reason that most fulltimers establish domicile in one of three particular states. I urge anyone getting ready to do this life to read all about domicile at the Escapees website.
well to be completely honest, with you.. I had not clue about creating a domicile.. and it would be good to talk to some one about it..

maki2 said:
Actually the issue is that the post office is not allowed to forward mail or change addresses from a business location. They are only allowed to do address changes from a residential address.

You can contact each of the places you need to change your adress at and do them all directly one by one. That is your only solution. You will have to do that anyway as even for a residential address change there is a time limit for how long they will forward mail from a previous address to a new one.

They can't do it from a business location as it can cause havoc for the business owner with sensitive business mail going all over the place. Too many errors can occur. Even problems can happen if one family member in a household puts in a forwarding address but others stay at the same location.

Just contact all your essential people and business  you need to keep in contact with and give them your new address. Make a list and get to it right away. Arrange with any private mailbox services to forward mail to you. They might charge a fee for that. But it will be worth it if you are eaiting on something critical.
This is just one of the many frustrations that happen during transistions.
This I can understand, and truly wished I understood it more before changing my address.. And yes, I will probably just contact my most essential places.. Most of what I receive is junk mail anyway.. Or over due bills LMAO

Cheaprvliving has a really good video about this on YouTube.
I've always thought a sticks & bricks person could make a living just by letting nomads use their address w an informed delivery type deal.
I absolutely loathe the post office. Just doing a "temporary forwrd" while I was out of state, taking care of my mother this past year, the mail is still f'd up. They are now sending her mail to me in MN. ugh!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk