S'more, America's favorite campfire snack (history article)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool article. I've had a Toasted Marshmallow martini, which included a toasted marshmallow on the rim. It tasted like a s'more in a glass. You used to be able to get them at Rusconi's American Kitchen in Phoenix, but when I was there last June they didn't have a needed ingredient--the marshmallow flavored syrup.

This is a Nestle recipe which I have made a couple of times, they are easy, very good and have been gobbled up.

Easy No-Bake Milk Chocolate S’More Bars

Ingredients
● Nonstick cooking spray
● 8 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
● 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
● 1 3/4 cups (11.5-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels, divided
● 1/4 teaspoon salt
● 8 (about 2 cups) whole graham crackers, broken into 1/2-inch pieces

Line 8- or 9-inch-square baking pan with foil leaving an overhang on two sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Heat 6 cups marshmallows, butter and salt in large, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until smooth. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup morsels; stir until melted.

Working quickly, stir in graham cracker pieces, remaining 2 cups marshmallows and 3/4 cup morsels. Spread mixture into prepared baking pan with greased spatula, pressing down lightly. Cool for 2 hours or until set. Lift from pan; peel off foil. Cut into squares with serrated knife.

I remember showing my hubby how to make s'mores. How he had gotten to adulthood with out that is amazing to me mainly cause he had had to cook over fire as a fruit tramp since he was a very young kid. But had never made
s'mores!
I also got to teach a very privileged man how to cook a hot dog over fire. He had showed up at our house in his, top of the line, new Porche for a company thing and we had a fire going and all the fixin's for fire cooking and he was floored and super confused as to how to do this hot dog thing. He had soooo much fun. Then we made S'mores and again he was floored. We asked him if he had ever gone camping or delt with a campfire or any of that stuff and he said "yes but he had always had other people there to do the cooking and work stuff." Then he said something about the summer camps his family always sent him and his sister(?) to. I guess I am happier that we drove to the mountains as a kid and spent weeks at a time getting dirty and cooking over the fire and singing horrible campfire songs and and and .... Even though I know it was because we didn't have a ton of money.