Much ado about urine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
In my endless plethora of brain farts, I'd come up with the idea of creating a type of apparatus for my van.
This apparatus would take pee in, and through some sort of filter, or series of filters, would dribble out cleanish water. The kind of water that wouldn't raise eyebrows over dumping.
The space station recycles urine to drink, certainly this must be feasible!

It came to mind quite sometime ago and just got to looking into the logistics of such a device.
While not finding much related to what I was plotting, mostly about urine into grey tanks and drinking urine, I did come across a couple other interesting things to with urine.
One is a recycling method using a high PH medium and drying the urine turning it into fertilizer. That would be nifty, dumping out some fertilizer instead of pouring out pee.
https://theconversation.com/we-developed-a-simple-process-to-recycle-urine-heres-how-its-done-150309
And the other is a urine powered microbial fuel cell. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Don't expect to be charging your batteries with it, but pretty cool the sources you can draw power from.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.chemistryworld.com/news...urine-to-energy/3003125.article[/font][/SIZE]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://theconversation.com/four-wa...production-in-the-future-152184[/font][/SIZE]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I came across this company as well, they collect and pasteurize urine for use as fertilizer[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://richearthinstitute.org/how-it-works/ [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Being I drink a fair amount of water daily, I pee frequently, and that drove this idea.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]After finding these other things above, figured I'd post and see if anyone had $.02 to throw in, helpful or other lol.[/font]

Uncle Todo said:
 . . .
This apparatus would take pee in, and through some sort of filter, or series of filters, would dribble out cleanish water. The kind of water that wouldn't raise eyebrows over dumping . . .

I am unclear on what problem you are trying to solve.

In all my travels I am always either in a place where I can dump my urine responsibly in a toilet somewhere at least once a day or so far from others that dumping a little urine won't create a problem.  Urine is a good fertilizer (lots of nitrogen) but is too concentrated direct from the source, so I dilute with grey water when I have a larger volume to dump.

Where I'm at now you can just pee on a hot rock it will evaporate in a few seconds. It was 104 degrees at 8PM,

My understanding is you are fine with dumping urine directly on the drip line of established trees, without diluting it. If you are dumping on seedlings you should be diluting as it may burn them. Otherwise you are doing them a favour by fertilizing. I pee on all my fruit trees have been doing this for decades with no ill effects, abundant crops.

in six days I only peed in the porta - potty twice. Unless you ARE on the space station, you are overthinking under-significant things.

My guess is you are feeling extremely bored if you feel the need to problem solve trying to recycle piss water.

Uncle Todo said:
....This apparatus would take pee in, and through some sort of filter, or series of filters, would dribble out cleanish water. The kind of water that wouldn't raise eyebrows over dumping.
The space station recycles urine to drink, certainly this must be feasible!...
You go guy! This forum spends major brain trust trying to crack the nut of waterless waste disposal. While the rest of the world collects waste with water, processes it with water, and dumps into the nearest body of water polluting it.

As dwellers, we do not have the luxury of composting on land we own, so solutions need to be space efficient, energy efficient, and portable. And probably solar powered. Looking to hear more on this.
-crofter

For you guys living in the desert, I read awhile back that they have figured out a way to recycle poo and make edible/nourishing, probably could lay it out on drying racks, turn it into powder, add spices and reconstitute, not exactly sure that is how they were doing it but while your trying to recycle pee may as well give it a try, now that you have something to wash it down with, let us know how it goes, the biggest obstacle they had in making this into a real money spinner was marketing, or figuring out a way to make it palatable in our minds. I guess it is like any exotic new food it takes some getting use to. I am sure it will eventually happen.

flying kurbmaster said:
For you guys living in the desert, I read awhile back that they have figured out a way to recycle poo and make edible/nourishing, probably could lay it out on drying racks, turn it into powder, add spices and reconstitute, not exactly sure that is how they were doing it but while your trying to recycle pee may as well give it a try, now that you have something to wash it down with, let us know how it goes, the biggest obstacle they had in making this into a real money spinner was marketing, or figuring out a way to make it palatable in our minds. I guess it is like any exotic new food it takes some getting use to. I am sure it will eventually happen.

Well, the good news is there's plenty of it...

They say that everything we do or own should have several purposes. I am absolutely serious when I say that this time of year I try to watch where the sun lights coming into my campsite and then that evening I will pee in that area and the next day when the sunlight hits it and warms it butterflies come from all over for the minerals. Try it it really works. They want the salts and other minerals. It’s a beautiful thing.

Jeez. I’d eat a big plate of soylent green first.